13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2012 8:01 PM by jermspill RSS

Major delay with controls on Comcast Box

Jeepguy25

Hello,

Right now I have a SlingBox SOLO hooked to a Comcast HD box.  Here is my "problem"... I might just have to live with this, but figured I would ask.

When I go to slingbox.com to watch a stream, I use the on screen remote.  There is a delay, and Im aware this is normal.  Its a pain, but I deal with it.

When I use the slingbox program to view, the actual executable program that has that AWESOME on screen Tv Guide, I cant just scroll to a show and hit enter and let the channel change on its own.

For instance, if I see a show on channel 28 that I want to watch, I scroll to it, hit enter, and I can see it trying to enter 2...then 8.  But, there is such a delay, it goes to channel 2...then to channel 8 haha.

This seems like a problem with how fast the sling program is sending its request to the comcast box, not just the normal delay.

Does this make sense or am I really confusing haha.  If there is a setting or something that I can adjust AT the slingbox I would greatly appreciate some help.  If I have to just resort to entering it in manually, thats fine.  It works well with a TiVo box...so it might just be the slow comcast issue.

Thanks in advance!

Justin

• Re: Major delay with controls on Comcast Box
          Apprentice

Hello Jeepguy25,

That is definitely a great question! I am sorry to hear your remote is not responding as quick as it should. Please check out the link below that will show you how to specify settings for your particular remote control:

Hope this helps!

The Sling Moderation Team

Jeepguy25

Hmm... Im assuming I make this change by logging into the slingbox locally right?  Its not something I can do remotely?

Ill try this the next time Im at the box's location.

Its funny, as soon as you posted that, I remembered when I initially set the box up ( a LONG time ago) that there were some settings for how the remote acted...duh.

Thanks!  Ill let you know if this fixes me up.

Justin

Apprentice

Hello Jeepguy25,

Thank you for the quick response! You would need to be at the home location to do so. Definitely let us know if you have any further issues. It's funny how we always remember things after we ask, but at least we can verify that we're correct.

Thank you,

Jeepguy25

Hello,

So, this weekend I had a chance to be at the Slingbox's location, and I went in to the settings and set the cable box back up.  I tried all sorts of combinations for the remote.  I changed the speed to fast, slow, clicked the box saying I hit enter, etc etc.  I ultimately put it back where I had it...on medium speed.

This setting seemed to make no difference.  When clicking in the guide, whether using the "online interface" or one of the actual applications, it still wont take me to a two digit channel.  It'll enter "2"... and before it can enter "8" its on channel 2.

LIke I said..its not a huge deal.  BUT...Im really trying to fine tune my HTPC, and having a big virtual remote is kind of clunky when I have that awesome, gorgeous channel guide to select from!!

Any other suggestions?  Ide really like to figure it out!

Justin

Apprentice

Hello Jeepguy25,

Thank you for testing the remote settings for me. What's the exact model of your Comcast cable box? Is the remote control you selected the exact model you have or did you try a model close to your model?

Thanks Again!

Jeepguy25

Crud...You got me there.  I know that I found the exact model number in the list, and the remote that comes up is EXACT to the one that I physically have.  Comcast changes their boxes up here and there... But its just one of their standard issue boxes. 

I can probably get the model number at some point, but I wont be back at the box for a while.  Been running all over lately.

The on screen remote works perfect.  You kind of get used to the slight delay with the inputs.  But I never have an issue getting a two digit channel even with my wireless mouse pad.  As long as I dont screw around hitting the numbers haha.  Its just when it tries to automatically change them via the guide, it wont make it.  Could it be network speed issues?  I cant imagine it is since I can manually enter numbers just fine.  It seems to be in whatever protocol controls the number entry from the guide.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Justin

Apprentice

Hello Jeepguy25,

Thank you for being patient with this issue that is occurring. I am quite curious as to what is causing this issue. Just to verify your last response, you are able to manually enter the numbers via the on screen remote but when you select the channel via the guide it won't take you to the channel?

Thanks Again!

Jeepguy25

That is correct.  BUT...its only an issue on anything other than a single digit channel.  So, channels 1-9 work perfect.  But as soon as it hits two+ digits, the second or third number doesnt get "entered" in time.

I have used a friend's slingbox Pro HD hooked to a TiVo box, and this wasnt a problem.  That set up works MUCH faster.  He also has a comcast box hooked up, and its slow like mine.  So it seems to be something with the comcast boxes, at least in my experience.

Im no programmer or software engineer, but it just seems like there needs to be an adjustment to allow the guide to send the channel request faster.  The setting that allows you to change the speed at which you enter the numbers doesnt seem to affect this...or at least not enough to fix the issue.

I could even take a video for you and post it via youtube if you'd like a visual.  I wish I could get to the box and get you the model number and info sooner...but I just dont know when Ill be able to.

Justin

Jeepguy25

Archie,

I was bored tonight.  I took a "short" video showing the issue Im having.  I tend to get long winded...so its probably more explaining than necessary.  But here it is anyway. Check it out in HD so you can see whats on screen better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl9hTwJ-Vws

Thanks again for any help!

Justin

pettusd

I, too, have the exact same problem.  I've given up on using the on-screen remote for changing channels.  As you may know, you can use the keyboard while in full screen mode.  I find that if I press and hold each digit for a second (plus or minus), that the channels change perfectly whether 1, 2, 3, or even 4 digits now. This has made my life so much easier.

Spillerdee

I am also having this exact same problem. I even went through the setup again, made sure I selected the exact model for my comcast box.  It doesn't matter if I am using from my iPhone, iPad, laptop...  I cannot change channels unless I use the up and down arrows.  Trying to select a 2 digit channel # results in the box changing to the channel of the first digit entered.  Forget about a three digit channel.  I am out of my warranty, so when I call slingbox for help, they won't help.    Please if there is a solution out there, I would love to try it.  Could it be the firmware of my slingbox?  I am scared to upgrade the firmward, as I have had friends that have upgraded firmware, their box stop working, and slingbox will not help...

Jeepguy25

Are you sure you guys arent having issues with entering numbers via the on screen remote?

My problem only stems from using the VERY nice on screen guide that you see when using the sling player application, or the sling web player.  I can enter 2 and 3 digit channels all day long on the virtual remote without any issues.  Even using my bluetooth minikeyboard which is challenging haha.

You guys could also use the cable box's own guide, by pressure guide on the virtual remote, and navigating to the channel you want, and pressing enter.  This uses the box's channel changing program to switch channels, and will always work.

This is why I believe its just a simple issue with the on screen guide.  There needs to be an adjustment for how the program, or guide script, sends the channel change request.

J.

EDIT... And by simple issue I mean Im not a programmer and have NO idea how it works so it might be more difficult than that haha.  Im just a simple engineer/fabricator.  So in my head, its not a big deal...but I dont think in 1's and 0's!!

jermspill

I was posing at my mom's account above, but also have the same problem she does, and have comcast as a cable provider.  This problem occurs no matter how I try to change the channel.  On screen guide, number pad, on screen remote...Gets real old keeping on hitting the Up and down button to get to 3 digit channels.  Doesn't matter which device I am using to try to change the channel...