3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2012 6:16 PM by ACC4699258 RSS

Can't view HBO thru Sling Box

jvgurge

Ever since installing the new software a few days ago, I cannot view any HBO chanel thru Sling Box.  Sling Box tells me to change my cables to componant from HDMI.  I have always had componant cables from my DirecTV DVR to the Sling Box "SOLO".  It's always worked fine, for the past year, until the software change.  HBO is the only chanel I'm having problems with.

• Re: Can't view HBO thru Sling Box
          Apprentice

Hello jvgurge,

Thank you for reaching out to the forums! When it comes to HBO they have a copy protection right with there broadcasting which prevents streaming through HDMI. If you have any type of HDMI cable connected with your Directv receiver, you will see this message. Due to a lot of cable companies/dish providers building in HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection), you will receive this message on certain channels when trying to stream with HDMI. Check out the link below that provides detailed information on HDCP:

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

jvgurge

So why did it work before upgrading the software and not afterward?  No changes were made to the wiring.  HDMI from DTV DVR to TV, componant cables from DTV DVR to Sling Box?  Every other chanel I subscribe to still works fine thru Sling Box.

Jim Gurge

Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 10:14:42 -0800

To: jvgurge@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: - Can't view HBO thru Sling Box

Slingbox Answers Forum

Can't view HBO thru Sling Box

reply from Archie34 in Slingbox Software Updates - View the full discussion

Hello jvgurge, Thank you for reaching out to the forums! When it comes to HBO they have a copy protection right with there broadcasting which prevents streaming through HDMI. If you have any type of HDMI cable connected with your Directv receiver, you will see this message. Due to a lot of cable companies/dish providers building in HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection), you will receive this message on certain channels when trying to stream with HDMI. Check out the link below that provides detailed information on HDCP:When I connect my set-top box to my TV with HDMI connections, I can't stream video at all using any version of SlingPlayer. Why?

Hope this helps! Best Regards,  The Sling Moderation Team

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in Slingbox Software Updates at Slingbox Answers Forum

ACC4699258

I just bought a Slingbox 500 and have the same problem with HBO and few other movie channels.  I would not have bought the 500 if I knew of this limitation.  Why can't slingbox get around it?