13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2012 6:49 AM by morecambestoney RSS

Can I turn my TV into a connected device?

bbarcus

Can I use one of the new devices that turn a regular HD tv into a connected device to access slingbox?  Net Gear makes one for about 70.00.

• Re: Can I turn my TV into a connected device?
          Apprentice

Hello bbarcus,

Great Question! With the Slingbox we provide the Slingplayer application for certain Connected Devices (i.e. Boxee Box, Logitech Revue, Apple TV etc.). We cannot guarantee that your "method" would work because we currently do not support it. Please check out the link below that provides detailed information on our current supported Connected Devices:

Hope this helps!

The Sling Moderation Team

bbarcus

that was very helpful.  We have the WD here locally.  Which slingbox do I need, 350 or 500?

OvCollyer Apprentice

Make sure that you read up carefully online about the various different devices that the Slingplayer application runs on.

Not just here but 'placeshifting enthusiasts' (Google it), the WD community forums and the Google TV forums.

Lots of people have reported issues so be sure to do your research to minimise the chances of you ending up owning an expensive paperweight.

Most stable platform may be the Google TV on the Sony NSZ-G7 or Vizio Co-Star.

Logitech Revue had issues for some (and is discontinued and was abandoned by Sling, which screwed up a number of people), Boxee Box has also been discontinued.

In short - do your research carefully!

Apprentice

Hello bbarcus,

I'm glad I was able to help! If you have the WD TV Media Player, then you can use the Slingbox 350 or the Slingbox 500. They both are compatible with the WD TV Media Player.

Have a great day!

OvCollyer Apprentice

No, you don't have a Slingplayer application for Apple TV.

I doubt Apple would let you touch the ATV with a bargepole given how flakey your Slingplayer applications for connected devices have proved to be.

Apprentice

Hello OvCollyer,

When it comes to the Apple TV, there is no application but you can use the device to mirror from an iPhone or iPad.

Thank you,

OvCollyer Apprentice

Glad you've confirmed your error.

Now all you guys need to do is fix the issues with Airplay such as the fact that it forces my (and others) 16:9 signal into 4:3 thus rendering it unusable (everything looks horizontally squashed), a state of affairs that goes back right since you released it. Not to mention changing channels on the virtual remote freezes the Airplay stream.

After you've done that you can then fix the WD Live player freezing at the higher quality settings, or at least acknowledge/investigate the reported issues with it.

But you won't, will you?

Apprentice

Hello OvCollyer,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with viewing Airplay in full screen. Have you checked the aspect ratio settings on your TV? When testing our iPad with Airplay here, all we needed to do was change the Aspect Ratio Settings on our TV and we were able to view in full screen.

Have a great day!

OvCollyer Apprentice

No that doesn't help - it's clearly sending a stream with large additional black space to the left and right so this clearly isn't going to be fixable by TV's own setting.

Besides, everything else I stream from the iPad in this manner (ie other apps) doesn't suffer this issue.

You guys need to search the forums and there is a thread somewhere where others are experiencing it too. Start collating details from users experiencing it and get your devs involved. You need to have a more systematic approach on here than your haphazard 'answer a few threads here and there' approach which ultimately only serves to frustrate because there are issues in you otherwise excellent products which stretch back for months and you're gaining yourself a reputation that you may find hard to shed.

bbarcus

It works great with the WD media player.  My only issue is with the remote.  I cant get the remote to show onscreen like I could on my computer.  I h ave to change the channel by putting in the channel number.  I don't seem to access to the guide or the remote that shows on screen.

OvCollyer Apprentice

None of the connected device players show the remote on the screen, or the TV guide (at least in my experience).

You can (clumsily) navigate all the remote's buttons via the menu that appears when you press the blue button.

Brilliantly, they've done things like hide the power on/off button away under the 'misc' section, and the frequently used back button somewhere obscure too (at least for my Sky+ HD box anyway) just to make I as much of a PIA as possible to use.