18 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2013 6:06 PM by telekaster RSS

HDMI & component simultaneously?

telekaster Newbie

Hi,

I'm trying to decide on whether to get the 350 or 500. I do not really want the added features of the 500, but the HDMI might force me to go with it.

Can I set up my home theater as usual (ATT U-Verse) with all HDMI, then simultaneously connect a Slingbox 350 with the component cables? Or should I go with the Slingbox 500 and use HDMI pass-through? Thanks.

• Re: HDMI & component simultaneously?
          shaysfn Novice

Hey telekaster,

Thanks for using our Answers Forum.  I understand that you have some questions regarding the connection of your Slingbox 350/500.

You can do like you said and use the HDMI and then the component on the Slingbox 350, that will work fine.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Media Moderation Team

daNewguy

Hello,

Question along the same line.  I bought a 350 for for the family for Christmas, have Comcast through a Motorola DCX3400 DVR & was hoping to add the Slingbox to the component jacks on the DVR while leaving the HDMI cable running to my receiver>TV.  Will this work?  I've been doing quite a bit of research online & have found contradicting answers.  I haven't opened the box yet because if this can't be done, I might return the unit.  Love the concept but I don't want to lose image quality in my home theater just to be able to watch tv while on the treadmill.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

alanrichey42 Master

I don't think anyonr here can answer that, as the usage of HDMI and component is totally dependent on your TV provider, that is why you are seeing conflicting answers.  If they have implemented HDCP on your box it is quite possible the component output is blocked if the HDMI lead is being used.  Only Comcast can tell you that.

But there is no reason you shouldn't use the composite output.  It will only be an SD picture but if you are on a treadmill does that really matter ? 

AngelicDiablo

Unfortunately, I can't.  If I go componant out from my cable box into my slingbox, and hdmi from my cable box into the tv, it won't work for me.  I have to go all comoponant for the slingbox 350 to get video. -Oscar

daNewguy

Thanks to both of you for replying.  Sadly, I think my question has been answered.

alanrichey42 Master
                            Unfortunately, I can't.  If I go componant out from my cable box into my slingbox, and hdmi from my cable box into the tv, it won't work for me.  I have to go all comoponant for the slingbox 350 to get video. -Oscar

I shouldn't actually matter, I do the same.  Although it is analog rather than digital the component output is still HD quality.  Although I do find having to use 5 wires instead of 1 a bit frustrating.

daNewguy

Hi again, just posting back findings on my original situation.  After searching a bit on Comcast's forum, which has a thread dedicated to Slingbox, one of their techs answerered my questions which was also posted by another user  -said that Comcast only allows one signal to be output from any of their boxes at a time.  I'd have to go back to a component setup, which I don't want to do since I just bought a new plasma, Blu-Ray & a batch of HDMI's to simplify my previous thousand wire setup.

My guess is that's the same situation mediaarchitect is having with his Cisco box.

tcaradonna Novice

Not necessarily true.  I have comcast and output HDMI and component simultaneously with no problems.  For reference, I have a Pace RNG 110 unit.  It also didn't give me any problems with HDCP...  I would ask your comcast for this box  (it might be a magic box!)  It's just the converter that comes with my basic+expanded service--nothing special.

mediarchitect

This question is along the lines of my problem. Hopefully this will help with resolve the issue with finality.

I wired my slingbox 350 consistent with the instructions. I have my Cisco 4640 cablebox (on Charter Digital Cable) HDMI output to my receiver/TV and I connected Component cables from the cablebox to the "in" component connections on my slingbox.

On the slingbox website setup of my unit it does not allow me to configure the video as component. It configures and looks only at the composite ports and correctly recognizes that there is no video source there.

How do I get the setup program to allow me to designate the component ports? Or stated differently why does the setup program jump to the assumption I am using a composite connection?

Note that if I wire the cablebox to the slingbox with composite cabling configuration it seems to be fine (just not HD). I have also tried using different browsers and reset the slingbox etc.

Thanks!

jschoon915

I'm having the exact same issue.

micro23

Just for testing. Unplug the hdmi from your cable box and only use component cables. Reset power to cable box and slingbox and see if it passes video. If it does then while everything is working plug in the HDMI cable and report back what happens.

I think your cable box might only output either hdmi or component one at a time.

mediarchitect

Many thanks to those who contributed to this thread (including telekaster for the original Q). After a bit of your recommended testing I have have resigned myself to the limitations of my cablebox and the slingbox. Although redundant here are my conclusions:

- your carriers cablebox/AV device may vary from the slingbox setup instructions. unlike some others, my cablebox will only output a SD signal and an HD signal simultaneously. SO... no HDMI and component capability for me (spoken with a soup nazi accent).

- the setup program on the slingbox is smarter than I gave it credit for. When I had the HDMI cable plugged in to feed my receiver, it knew that only composite was available... but still nobody likes a smartass.

- whereas I could probably go component out to the slingbox and component into my receiver it is my understanding that I would lose some quality in my sound setup (after all they are only RCA jacks). SO... since I only use my slingbox to watch Laker games I will settle for SD on slingbox... though I may reconsider if the Lakers stop playing like ****.

Cheers!

mediaportfolio.com

boplinger

I was having the same issue and even tried to outsmart my Comcast Cisco RNG200 and 350.

I bought an HDMI splitter and HDMI to Component Converter.  I went Cable box to HDMI splitter, output 1 of splitter to AV receiver for my entertainment center.  And output 2 to HDMI/Component Converter and the converter to the 350.  I then logged into slingbox.com, the audio came through perfectly, but the video came through scrambled.  I utilized the passthrough on the 350 back to my TV directly and the passthrough worked fine.  It seems like the 350 still recognizes the original source is via HDMI, despite the fact that I am going through a Converter.  Oh well, looks like I am upgrading to the 500.

telekaster Newbie

I don't know what I can add but since I first posted the original question, I have gone from a Cisco Explorer 8246? DVR (Time Warner) to a Motorola VIP1225 (Uverse). Both boxes work well when connected to the Slingbox 350 to either DVR via component cables and had the HDMI running simultaneously. It's a bummer they all don't work as such.