9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2012 7:51 AM by chuliu RSS

mac slingplayer remote button grayed out on slingbox 500

chuliu Newbie

Not too sure what is the cause but one of the button on my mac web slingplayer is grayed out connected to slingbox 500.
      This button works fine on pc, both legacy or web player.
      Since with the slingbox 500, we cannot use bin file, the remote is provided entirely by sling, it is supposed to work.
      I contacted the slingbox support who told me if I were in the same location as the slingbox, I would be able to reconfigure the slingbox 500 by going to TV and then run through the set up process again.
      I doubt it would work as as far as I remember, I didn't have to use tv for my other slingbox 500 and it works fine.

Coudl it be that the device in question is a Japanese satellite receiver, and since the slingbox 500 is sold only in the states and Canada, this remote I use is not fully tested?

The remote in question is for Sharp bd-hwd15, btw.

• Re: mac slingplayer remote button grayed out on slingbox 500
          katie.sling Apprentice

Hi chuliu,

Thank you for using our answers forum. Being that you are using the Japanese satellite receiver, that would more than likely be why that one button is grayed out. Since the Slingbox is only supported in the US and Canada, we haven't fully tested all of the other boxes.

Hope this helps,

The Sling Moderation Team 

alanrichey42 Master
              Thank you for using our answers forum. Being that you are using the Japanese satellite receiver, that would more than likely be why that one button is grayed out. Since the Slingbox is only supported in the US and Canada, we haven't fully tested all of the other boxes. 

Sorry, I don't understand the logic of that.   It doesn't make any sense.

We know the Binary code that was installed in the Slingbox is correct as it all works on the PC Players, so the Japanese aspect is irrelevant.  The reason one of the buttons on the Mac remote image is greyed out is that the specific 'transfer' code used for that button (not sure which one as you didn't specify it) has not been properly implemented in the XML 'Skin' subsection of the remotes SPR image file.

Now this is where I am stuck a bit as Sling won't tell me how their system works, but I always assumed that the SPR image files that are downloaded were identical for Windows and the Mac.  But apparently they are different.   So the bottom line is that the 'Mac' version of the SPR file for that specific device has been incorrectly compiled.

As you correctly pointed out, the fact that this is for a Slingbox 500 means I cannot do anything with a Custom Remote to help and only Sling themselves can fix this.  Hopefully the moderators will report this bug and get the SPR file updated.

The one thing that you might try, and it's clutching at straws, is to take a copy of the valid SPR file from the Windows system and overwrite the broken one on the Mac system.   Again, you don't say what the device is but hopefully the SPR file name will be obvious. (Update:  Sorry, reading back I see you did specify it, so the filename should be something like Sharp..spr)   You will find the Windows file at  C:\ProgramData\Sling Media\Slingplayer\2.0\Remotes\    (You will need to switch on 'Display Hidden Files and Folders' to see the \ProgramData\ folder).    The Mac location for the standalone Slingplayer is:   /Applications/SlingPlayer/Contents/Resources/Remote/  (Note that The Contents dirs won't show up unless you do a "Right-Click -> Show Package Contents" when navigating into an app's "Contents" directory.) and for the web player it is  \user\library\Application Support\SlingMedia\Remotes\.

When you overwrite the 'broken' files on your Mac, make sure you set the new SPR file to 'read-only', otherwise Sling may very well think it is the wrong file and overwrite it with a new copy of the 'broken' one.

I'd be interested to know if that works.

C:\ProgramData\Sling Media\Slingplayer\2.0\Remotes\
              C:\Users\..<User>..\AppData\Roaming\Sling Media\WebSlingPlayer\Remote

WINXP
              =====

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\2.0\Remote
              C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Sling Media\WebSlingPlayer\Remote\

MAC
              ===

/Applications/SlingPlayer/Contents/Resources/Remote

(Note that The Contents dirs won't show up unless you do a "Right-Click -> Show Package Contents" when navigating into an app's "Contents" directory.)

\user\library\Application Support\SlingMedia\Remotes\

chuliu Newbie

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the help.
                  I tried it on my mac.
                  I was able to locate the remote folder for the legacy plyer.
                  I copied the file, set it as read only.
                  I checked the file was still read-only after I closed the slingplayer.

But it didn't work.

The good thing is that the custom remote now shows up for both the sharp.spr and sonyg2.spr.
                  Just the select button on the sharp was grayed out.
                  Before I copied the files, only the basic remote would show up.

I noticed there are a lot of spr files, most of them I never used, in the remote folder.
                  I, therefore, presume the spr were pre-loaded with the slingplayer installation file.
                  I am not sure if the two spr files were there before I pasted them into the folder, so I am not sure
                  if the fact the custom remote shows up was due to that they had been corrupt or they had not been in the folder at all.

For web slingplayer, however, I wasn't able to locate the remote folder.
                  Tried search in finder for ".spr" and "remote" but no good.
                  The folder slingmedia was not in the user\library\application support\
                  In fact, the library folder is in the root folder, not in user folder.
                  I am using os x mountain lion, fyi.

alanrichey42 Master

Pity.  Worth trying though.   Interesting that it is the "Select" button.  I wonder if Sling have mixed up the 'Select' and 'Enter' buttons ?   If you go into the standalone player and switch remote images back to the default (I don't know exactly how you do that in a Mac, in Windows it is Connect > Remote keys) does the Enter button (To the right of the zero) operate as OK/Select ?

Can't offer any more suggestions about the folder location I'm afraid.  I know absolutely nothing about Macs, I have to rely on others.