19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2012 8:46 AM by Ramboxman RSS

New Slingbox Pro-HD, not found on Network

RJLechner

Good morning all!

I need to start off this thread by informing everyone that I have somewhere between Intermediate and Advanced skills in regards to PC repair and Networking, so the fact that I'm asking for help is a bit difficult for me to do.  :-)  I received a Slingbox Pro-HD, and am having difficulty in finding it on my Network.  I've researched Google and this Forum's postings regarding this Network issue, and I think that this is my last hope.  Here are the details:

1)  Slingbox Pro-HD -- Both power and network lights are solid, the horseshoe is pulsing (needs to be setup).  Hard-wired via ethernet cable to router.

2)  DirecTV HD DVR HR21-700 -- Connected via component cable to the Slingbox Pro-HD.

3)  Westell Versalink 327w Gateway Router -- Sees the Slingbox as "My Slingbox" (192.168.1.42) in the router's Network Connections menu.

4)  HP Pavilion M9500T (running Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate) -- Hard-wired via ethernet cable to the Router.

Okay, I've tried installing both the Internet Explorer SlingPlayer plug-in and the stand-alone SlingPlayer software, but both options return the result "No Slingbox found on Network" error message.  According to the Versalink 327w Network Connections, the Slingbox is being recognized as "My Slingbox" with an IP address of 192.168.1.42.

- I have setup the Port Forwarding on the Router with TCP/UDP settings of 5001, and have tried both Static and Dynamic settings -- no joy.

- I have completely turned off my Router firewall to see if the Router itself was blocking the Slingbox -- no joy.

- I have modified my Windows firewall to allow "Launch SlingPlayer" pass-through authorization -- no joy.

- I have completely turned off my Windows firewall -- no joy.

- I even changed the ethernet cable to the one shipped with the Slingbox (gotta try everything, right?) to see if that might be the issue -- no joy.

I did try to ping the IP address that the Router reports back as the Slingbox address, and it pings back without issue, so there is definitely communication there between the PC/Router/Slingbox, so I'm assuming that there's a software setting SOMEWHERE that I must be overlooking, hence my pleas for help.

Is there ANYTHING that I might be overlooking that the educated masses might suggest?

• Re: New Slingbox Pro-HD, not found on Network
          RJLechner

I also forgot to add that I have also performed both the the 5 second and the 30 second reset button tricks -- no joy.

RJLechner

UPDATE:

I was able to partner with Slingbox Chat Support this morning, and we were able to determine that the issue does not lie between the Slingbox and the Router, as they are able to communicate freely between each other.  It seems that the issue lies with the security settings of my PC.  I was told that I should try connecting to another computer to see if that corrects the issue.  The only problem is that all of my PCs on the Network are running a version of Windows 7 64-bit (2 Home Premium, 2 Ultimate).  Aside from running Eset NOD32 4.0 as my antivirus client, I think that the only firewall that I am running on any of these PCs is the default Windows Firewall.  I have already set Windows Firewall to allow the Launch SlingPlayer application to pass through, so I'm not sure what else can be done.  Unfortunately, Slingbox does not provide any support for firewalls.

I disconnected my Internet connection and tried turning my Windows Firewall completely off (both Private and Public), and the Slingbox still isn't found in SlingPlayer, so I don't think that it's Windows Firewall that is preventing the Slingbox from being found.  I've also tried completely closing Eset NOD32 4.0 to see if that might be causing the problem, but that didn't work either.  The only other things that I can think of that are installed are Windows Defender and Malwarebytes, but I don't think that those are memory resident applications.  I've tried Googling Windows 7 security settings with Slingbox, but no luck there.  I can't imagine that I'm the only one with this issue.

Does anyone have any ideas that I might be overlooking?  If not, I think that this will be going back to Amazon soon.  :-(

DanCole

My problem is not exactly like yours, however, you mentioned ESET in your post.  I have found that ESET appears to be blocking Slingbox. I have diabled the firewall and the antivirus and still no work. Sling starts then crashes. It crashes both the stand alone Sling program and the Web based watching capabilities. One laptop in office will crash slingbox, but when off the network, but still running ESET (different location than server running ESET) it works. To further test it we "uninstalled" ESET (not just disable it) and Slingbox works?  I suspect an ESET update in Late April is the cause.

I am trying to get ESET support to look into it.

Dan

RJLechner

Thank you for the reply Dan!  I'd almost forgotten about my post!

Actually, I think I've figured out my issue as it pertains to the apparent firewall issue.  Long story short:  I was working from home on my work laptop (which requires me to lower my firewall settings on my Westell VersaLink 327w Gateway from "Medium" to "Low" to use the VPN access) about a week after my last post, and just for kicks I went to the Slingbox web application and tried to connect.  Worked on the first time, with full functionality!  I knew that my laptop was still connecting wirelessly to my home network (although all traffic was being routed through the VPN tunnel), but the change in firewall got me to thinking that the issue might still be associated to it.

After disconnection from by VPN connection but still leaving my VersaLink 327w firewall at "Low", I tried going into the Slingbox setup and Went back into "Setup Internet Viewing".  I had already setup port forwarding for the Slingbox to Port 5001 at IP address 192.168.1.254 (which is the Slingbox default), and entered my router (Westell, then VersaLink 327w).  Instead of having the software try to automatically configure the router (which never seemed to work because the router login/password was never accepted), I selected the manual setup link and ensured that "192.168.1.254" was the default IP, and the Port was "5001".  I accepted these settings and clicked the Apply button and waited for it to respond that Internet Viewing was successfully configured.  Before returning the firewall back to "Medium", I reconnected my work laptop to my work VPN and tried it again, and it connected successfully again on the first attempt.  I closed the laptop VPN again and took out my iPhone, turned off the Wi-Fi setting to ensure that it was not connecting to my home network in any way, and started the iPhone Slingbox application and it connected and started almost immediately.  I disconnected and returned my firewall back to "Medium", then launched the Slingbox Mobile application on my iPhone again, and it connected again without a hitch!  Finally, SUCCESS!!!

Since then, I have not had any issues with connecting to the Slingbox from outside the home with my iPhone (the work laptop won't connect due to blocking using a LAN connection, but will using a VPN connection).  I've found on those occasions what I have "hiccups" and the iPhone won't connect, that I simply need to return my VersaLink 327w firewall back to "Low", go through the "Setup Internet Viewing" process again, then test for functionality before raising the firewall back to "Medium".  I'm sure that there's probably an easier way to do this, but since the Westell VersaLink 327w will not allow me to create a Static IP address of 192.168.1.254 for the router, this seems to do the trick.  I'm definitely willing to do this every now and then in exchange for being able to watch my recordings while commuting to and from work everyday.

I hadn't given thought to the fact that ESET might be responsible for the issue, but I suppose that is a possibility. Since I've found the above steps, it doesn't appear that I have had any issues (except for the occasional router reboot that assigns a new dynamic IP address to the router).

eferz Expert

I looked up your router's manual (http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/VersaLink327WUserGuide_030_300505A.pdf)

RJLechner wrote:

I had already setup port forwarding for the Slingbox to Port 5001 at IP address 192.168.1.254 (which is the Slingbox default), and entered my router (Westell, then VersaLink 327w).

Actually, the Slingbox doesn't have a default address and unlike a Windows PC, it doesn't time out feature where it falls back to a random IP address.

I had already setup port forwarding for the Slingbox to Port 5001 at IP address 192.168.1.254 (which is the Slingbox default), and entered my router (Westell, then VersaLink 327w).  Instead of having the software try to automatically configure the router (which never seemed to work because the router login/password was never accepted),

That part of the Setup Assistance only works if you have Universal Plug & Play (uPnP) enabled on the router.  Your router is uPnP compatible, its just not enabled by default.

I'm sure that there's probably an easier way to do this, but since the Westell VersaLink 327w will not allow me to create a Static IP address of 192.168.1.254 for the router, this seems to do the trick.  I'm definitely willing to do this every now and then in exchange for being able to watch my recordings while commuting to and from work everyday.

I hadn't given thought to the fact that ESET might be responsible for the issue, but I suppose that is a possibility. Since I've found the above steps, it doesn't appear that I have had any issues (except for the occasional router reboot that assigns a new dynamic IP address to the router).

I think you've confused a reserved Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) address with a static IP address.  A DHCP reservation specifies a Media Access Control (MAC) address to IP address reservation.  When a DHCP server receives an address request, it can assign a specific address based based on a DHCP reservation.  I've noticed that your router does not have this feature.

Assigning a static IP address to the Slingbox means that you will manually provide the IP addess configuration.  In this configuraiton the DHCP server isn't even involved.  So, you wouldn't ever have to worry about getting a different IP address from the DHCP server.  The only cavaet is that you'll need to reduce the range of IP addresses that the DHCP server will assign dynamically.  And your router does have this option.

static01.jpg

static02.jpg

dhcp.jpg

So, in the screenshot above the range of address is between 15 to 47.  Which means you could use either up to 192.168.1.14 or 192.168.1.48 till the end as a static IP address for your Slingbox.

VARO

hey guys, i am really frustarted with configuring new sling box PRO HD and would really apprecaite some help!

I had sling player classic befroe and that was working fine for past 1 year, suddenly due to some power surge it stopped connecting to network

i think network card went, as i was really happy with SLING Player i decdied to upgrade and i bought the new sling box PRO-HD and since past 2 weeks have been trying to configure it.

My internal network router (linksys WRT 350N runing firware 2.00.10) is configured with DHCP enabled with range 192.168.02 to 192.168.0.251

I am connecting sling box pro hd directly to my lap top with ethernet cable provided, my lap top netwrok card is configuired DHCP enabled.

My lap top is running WINDOWS 7 ultimate and is intel core 2 Duo 2.4ghz with 4gb ram.

I have switched off the firewall on my computer.

I am able to connect my lap top with sling box and whiel connected the network card shows Auto ip 4 config 169.254.144.90 ip4 subnet 255.255.0.0.

Once connected i run sling player windows setup assitant (ver 2.04.521) i am able to connect with sling box and go all the way to the last step (4th) of setup, i get the video etc, on last 4th step when i click to manually configure network settings it just stops responding on below screen:-I have trueUntitled.png

i have tried several tims to rebook system, i even bought another Sling box and with same rseult.

What is weird is that when i switch on teh sling box as per teh manual the network light should blink for 30sec to 1min in both sling box pro hd upon power on the network lights blink once and then stops and then after 5-10mins when the show lighst comes on then network light starts blinking and only then ca i connect to sling box with set up assitant.

One more thing i bought teh sling box in USA (110 volts) but as i am isnatlling PRO HD outsid USA i have put a power adapter/conert from 110 to 220volts, but thsi shoudl not be the cause as setup assitant does work and video is visible.

Pls. can some one help me.....does any one also face same problem, i read somewhere on teh foorum that it could be hardware problem bad capacitor like other have found? Thanks guys really liked SLING player and hope i can have it back on....

eferz Expert

Ultimately, I think the problem is that the Slingbox isn't able to  get a DHCP address from your Linksys WRT 350N router.  I looked up your  router's support page (http://www.linksysbycisco.com/CA/en/support/WRT350N/download)  and saw that the most recent version is Ver.1.04.4.  Are you sure that  you're not using the DD-WRT hack replacement for your Linksys?  If so, I  recommend in trying to get support from DD-WRT techsupport (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support).

In anycase, I'm not sure how you were able to get  access to your Slingbox without a DHCP server with your laptop.   However, if you were able to get through the setup process but its  hanging on the fouth step, then I would recommend quitting the assistant  before it hangs.  Once you've quit the assistant, connect to the  Slingbox, pressing (Alt+O) and click on the Information tab.  There under Identity subsection, you'll see the MAC address.  You can use this information to create a reserved DHCP IP  Address on your router.

VARO

Hi,

Thanks for your below reply, and it WORKED :-)

I upgarded the router WRT350N firmware to ver 2.00.20 from 2.00.10 and it worked like a dream, after upgarde i plugged SLING BOX and it got ip, sling player softwae on my laptop immd promted me top configre and unconfigured sling box and it configured.

I did DHCP resenation 192.168.0.55 for sling box mac and directed port 5001, and all works like a dream...THANKS A LOT....

PS. TWO more quetsion

1) What does 5001 port in router directed to sling box ip do ? is this requried for some specail feature of sling box?

2) i have connecetd my A/V distribution system (LEAF) to Sling box with composite cable in to sling box.

As this device irs are not pre programed in sling box I tried thru SLING SETUP ASSITANT and selecting other controlabe device and selecting manufacture "OTHER" and model "other" and tetsing all codes 1 to 112 but none work and i tried to put IR codes thru custom but it gives error "REMOTE CODES IS NOT VALID" pls. can you help how i can put custom codes and if i need HEX IR CODES or SUPERX HEX format

eferz Expert

VARO wrote:

1) What does 5001 port in router directed to sling box ip do ? is this requried for some specail feature of sling box?

Your router doesn't allow any unsolicited traffic from the internet to enter your network.  Port Forwarding 5001 to the private IP address of your Slingbox, will allow traffic requesting port 5001 from the router's public side to be directed into your private network for the Slingbox.

2) i have connecetd my A/V distribution system (LEAF) to Sling box with composite cable in to sling box.

As this device irs are not pre programed in sling box I tried thru SLING SETUP ASSITANT and selecting other controlabe device and selecting manufacture "OTHER" and model "other" and tetsing all codes 1 to 112 but none work and i tried to put IR codes thru custom but it gives error "REMOTE CODES IS NOT VALID" pls. can you help how i can put custom codes and if i need HEX IR CODES or SUPERX HEX format

Honestly, I'm not sure how I can help you.  I'm guessing you have something from this place (http://leafaudio.com).  Alan Richey is actually our forum guru of all things remote controlled, so he might be able to help if that device is present in the Logitech Harmony Database.  However, here's an article that you can use to find other resouces available to you. (http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000299.html)

meh6k

hey guys, i was reading your post and i think you guys are on to my problem as well.  it really is the first post that seems to address the issue.  I think you are waaaay more advanced than me whent it comes to networking and firewalls.

anyway, i have:
                            slingbox pro

this wireless cable modem:

http://www.pcrush.com/product/Routers-and-Gateways-Wireless/566448/Zyxel-Prestige-974HW-Wireless-Cable-Modem-Router

Windows VISTA

symantec endpoint security

my problem seems to be the same.  i have my netbook wired to the router and it streams the video just fine.  however, when i try to connect my desktop (which is wired to the same wireless modem), all of my browsers crash every time i try to play slingbox.  ive tried it on firefox, ie8, and safari.  it seems as if something is blocking the application.  i also tried to start an IM chat with tech support and their app does the same thing.  it starts and then crashes as well.  ive tried to fool around with IP address and proxy, but im not that knowledgeable at this stuff.

the wireless modem has a web application that you can change a bunch of settings like the verizon screen shot that someone posted, but i have no idea how to change it.

if anybody has any ideas, and could keep the explanation in lay mans terms, i would really appreciate it.  im getting frustrated here.

many thanks

mark, streaming from the DR.

eferz Expert

If your netbook is working fine then there's no problem with the network, slingbox or router.

The problem most likely has to do with desktop firewall on the Vista machine.  Probably because of Symantec Endpoint Security.  I would recommend you contact Symantec to help you allow the traffic to your Slingplayer client.

meh6k

i would, but i have the exact same antivirus installed on the netbook and it works fine.  i was thinking some sort of proxy miscommunication or something.

Lightnin

I have a linksys wrt 350n and slinbox setup keeps asking for a useername when i leave the field blank the setup will not progress. any help?

Ramboxman

Had to go to ESET Advanced Setup and Tree Down to Excluded applications and add Slingplayer.exe no that it is excliuded from protocal filtering(HTTP, POP3). My issues is finally resolved.