2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2012 3:24 PM by mrslingbox RSS

Slingbox500 and Remote Viewing of Local Digital Content and Personal Media?

mrslingbox Newbie

According to the listed capabilities of the Slingbox500, it offers "Remote Viewing of Local Digital Content and Personal Media." I have two questions:

1. Can someone please tell me were I can find an explanation of how to use this capability/feature?

2. Can someone please tell me what type of "Media" we're talking about? More specifically which of the following video formats are supported: H.264; AVI, Xvid, MOV, MP4, MPEG2 PS, MPEG2-TS, DVD ISO/VOB/IFO, MKV, ASF, AVCHD, DivX, WMV, M4A, M2TS, MTS, MP1, MP2, MPG, DVR-MS?

Thank you.

• Re: Slingbox500 and Remote Viewing of Local Digital Content and Personal Media?
          keith.sling Apprentice

Hello mrslingbox,

Thanks for participating in our answers forum! I appreciate your interest in our new My Media (SlingSync, SlingProjector) features of the Slingbox 500. Here is a link to an article from our support site that explains these features in greater detail:

As for the specific video formats, for now its photos only. I do apologize about that. However, our engineering teams are working on a software update for the 500 which will enable the video portion of the My Media feature. So, you'll have to check back on the supported video formats once we release the updates!

Hope this helps and Thanks again!

Kind Regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

• Re: Slingbox500 and Remote Viewing of Local Digital Content and Personal Media?
              mrslingbox Newbie

Thanks for the reply. Your answer is helpful, but that link is useless. A feature/benefit (like digital media support) should not be "sold" to the public unless it actually works. Someone should put a big sign at the top of that page saying:

"MY MEDIA ONLY WORKS WITH PHOTOS. WE DO NOT KNOW WHEN THIS WILL WORK WITH DIGITAL MEDIA OR WHAT TYPE OF DIGITAL MEDIA WILL BE SUPPORTED. FOR NOW, DIGITAL MEDIA SUPPORT IS VAPORWARE."

As for checking back after a firmware update: how would one even know to ask about video format support? Release notes don't seem to be published. I can see what firmware version my box in on, but I don't see anything anywhere telling someone what was fixed or what was added.