3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2012 4:33 PM by keith.sling RSS

Stuck at network set-up

RichardStead

I connected to my wifi without a problem, then the 500 updated the software.  When it re-started, it came back several times saying my network password was wrong which was ridiculous as I had just set it up, then it said "Connection to network failed - We were unable to obtain an IP address.  You must have a DHCP server on your network.  Please try again or choose another network."

Won't Slingbox ever come up with a plug and play product that works?  I'm not a techie.  What is a DHCP server?

I'm about ready to put it back in the box and return it.

• Re: Stuck at network set-up
          keith.sling Apprentice

Hello RichardStead,

Thanks for being a part of our online forum community! I'm sorry to hear of your networking woes. I would recommend power cycling the Slingbox and your router, because it sounds like there is some miscommunication going on within your network. I would unplug the Slingbox itself then, while the Slingbox is still unplugged, unplug your router for ten seconds then replug router and then your Slingbox.

Oh, and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is pretty much a network protocol which assigns and configures IP addresses to computers or devices discovered on your network. One thing you may want to check within your router is the status of UPnP, we want that to be enabled.

If you experience any further issue setting up your new Slingbox, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1(877)467-5464.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

The Sling Moderation Team

• Re: Stuck at network set-up
              RichardStead

It's working now, thanks.

Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 11:35:04 -0800

To: richardstead@live.ca

Subject: Re: - Stuck at network set-up

Slingbox Answers Forum

Stuck at network set-up

reply from KWhit in General Slingbox 500 Questions - View the full discussion

Hello RichardStead, Thanks for being a part of our online forum community! I'm sorry to hear of your networking woes. I would recommend power cycling the Slingbox and your router, because it sounds like there is some miscommunication going on within your network. I would unplug the Slingbox itself then, while the Slingbox is still unplugged, unplug your router for ten seconds then replug router and then your Slingbox. Oh, and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is pretty much a network protocol which assigns and configures IP addresses to computers or devices discovered on your network. One thing you may want to check within your router is the status of UPnP, we want that to be enabled. If you experience any further issue setting up your new Slingbox, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1(877)467-5464. Contact Sling Media Support

Hope this helps! Cheers,The Sling Moderation Team

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in General Slingbox 500 Questions at Slingbox Answers Forum