3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2013 12:18 AM by objecttothis RSS

Slingbox AV and Windows 8

surfweasel

My Slingbox AV does not work with my computers with Windows 8.  It still works on my android phone and tablet and my windows 7 netbook.  It just does not want to work with my Windows 8, with IE, Chrome or Firefox.  I just got off an internet chat with Patricia of Slingbox and was told that the AV is not guaranteed to work with Windows 8, only Vista and 7.  I was told that I would have to buy a Solo or a HD Pro. I am holding off on buying anything new of slingbox since the 350 and 500 just came out.

Did anyone get the AV model to work with Windows 8?  I've tried a lot of different things and I just can't get it to work.

Hopefully someone can help me get it to work...

Thanks much!

******************************************************************************************************************

I found out the issue:  My Avast Virus Software was blocking Slingbox from working.  I just have to disable when I want to watch.  So the bottom line is that if you upgrade to Windows 8 and Slingbox does not work, try disabling your virus software! I hope this helps people!

• Re: Slingbox AV and Windows 8
          markdevoll Newbie

Wy would it matter what version of windows your using.... It sounds to me like the support is terrible as usual.... Just look at who owns them....

surfweasel

I've been using Slingbox for 5+ years and have never had issues, so I really don't know how support is - except today the rep pretty much said nothing is guaranteed and that I had to buy a different slingbox, like SOLO or HD-Pro.

I just uninstalled Avast and installed AVG and my Slingbox is up and running again!  Woooohoooooo!

objecttothis

Don't worry, I have a SOLO with a Windows 8 box and it's only working in the embedded player.  watch.slingbox.com just gives me an error:
                  There was an error connecting to your Slingbox. Please try again.

I'm really surprised at Slingbox.  You spend a couple hundred on a product and you expect it to work... or at least for Slingbox to communicate that they are actually fixing the problem and an ETA.