17 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2013 3:14 PM by arneolav RSS

HDMI to component

immi79

hi, just have bought slingbox pro HD , i am bit confused about the hdmi to component. as slingbox pro hd soesnt have the hdmi port, will this hdmi to component converter be good for me as the satellite hd box m using with slingbox doesnt have the component ports, it only have a hdmi and scart connection.

here is the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-to-VGA-Ypbpr-RCA-AV-Video-Component-Converter-HDTV-Monitor-PC-1080p-Adapter-/221123087534?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item337bf68cae

m so much confused about how to convert hdmi to component so please if anyone could help me out?

• Re: HDMI to component
          callanish Apprentice

I'm going to say no to both ebay products actually working with your setup. It doesn't mention anything about getting around the HDCP protection that comes with all HDMI hardware, therefore what would most likely happen, is you'll hook that E-bay product up and HDCP will block the signal from the Sat Box to your TV rendering it useless.

If you wanted to bypass HDCP protection, you'd need something like the HDFURY 3

http://www.hdfury.com/hdmi-hdcp/welcome-to-hdfury-com/

...... in order to accomplish what you are trying to do which is dealing with a more expensive item. Is the SCART connection not an option to you for some reason with your setup? The Slingbox Pro-HD should have came with a SCART to composite connection allowing you to use that. The picture quality from SCART / composite won't be as good as Component, but it will save you the cost of having to buy the expensive HDFURY and will still do the job.

Read all about HDMI / HDCP here

http://www.hdfury.com/hdmi-hdcp/

....and decide if you really want to go down that road or simplify things with the analog SCART / composite connection to your Slingbox HD-Pro

immi79

thanks for the reply mate, but the second link i posted says

Compatibility : HDMI 1.3, HDCP

i am not expert on this but doesnt it mean that it should work fine without blocking the hdmi signal, or m misunderstanding?

fury3 is actually very expensive and m ofcourse not gonna buy it. so if ebay doesnt wor, m gonna stick with scart to composite.

just need one more clerificattion here, if i use the scart to composite, would the scart end b going to tv or the satellite box?

and suppose if the hdmi to component converter works, would the hdmi end b going to tv or in satellite reciever? these are the questions confusing me

tcaradonna Novice

It sounds like it will work, but I don't think any of us know their reputation.  Digital to analog conversion is a tricky business, and quality matters.  The HDFuryIII has definitely been endorsed by many people as a being a quality product, hence the price.  If you do pickup one of these on ebay, let us know how it works for you.

immi79

I Will definitely report back how it works if I get one. you forgot to answer the second part of my post I guess :)

if I use scary to composite cable, should I connect the scart to tv or to satellite box?

and if I use hdmi to component converter, should I connect hdmi cable to tv or to satellite box?

tcaradonna Novice

I'm not familiar with the scart interface.  (Not a typical connection type in US).

For the HDMI-->component converter, the connection should go sat box hdmi-->converter component-->slingbox prohd in

The ProHD has output passthrus that should allow another component connection from Slingbox to TV.  I hope this answers your question.

callanish Apprentice

Scart plug would come out of the sat box then to slingbox (in) audio L + R then connection into Video ( yellow composite ).

To clear up my original point. These cheap HDCP compliant conversion boxes work patchy at best. If you are relying on your slingbox for a consistent feed, you'll get frustrated and your TV picture might go out as well. If you just want one of these ebay boxes to try out, and hope for the best, then there's nothing wrong with that. The point is the HDMI fury 3 or 4 is the only product line that I would recommend personally that works consistently. If the cost of the HDMI fury scares you, then just go with what works with your setup and that's using the scart / composite connection. It will save you a lot of frustration and expense. Just check to make sure the sat box menu's show up when using the scart connection.  The Virgin V+ box that I use one of my slingbox's on still works with component, but the backup scart provides no interactive menu's, so it's okay for live stuff, but anything recorded on the V+ Box can't be watched because there's no menu's on the screen when watching it through the slingbox if using the scart out.

Since you've purchased the ebay box, no harm in trying it. If there's any issues, then at least you know you can still work with the scart connection.

immi79

thanks for your help guys, very helpful. as  ProHD has output passthrus that allow another component connection from Slingbox to TV, why would we need that? because all we need is the sat box connection to slingbox to watch sat box feed over the internet? is this another component connection from slingbox to tv is to watch the tv at home where the slingbox is connected to the sat box?

i also have heard people using the hdmi splitter on the sat box or other feeds they want to watch through slingbox, why do we need a hdmi splitter?

tcaradonna Novice

Q: is this another component connection from slingbox to tv is to watch the  tv at home where the slingbox is connected to the sat box?

Exactly correct.  It is thepass thru.  Slingbox sits in the middle of sat box and tv.

Q: i also have heard people using the hdmi splitter on the sat box or other  feeds they want to watch through slingbox, why do we need a hdmi  splitter?

My guess here, but since it's hdmi they would need to use an HDCP striper/component converter which may not have passthru capability, therefore they need to split the signal before the slingbox.  This sends a native digital signal to the tv, instead of sending the converted component thru the slingbox passthru to TV.