20 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2012 8:29 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Slingbox 500 in UK

Godger

I imported a slingbox 500 to the UK from the US and can only get the USA and Canada up on my location settings is there anything I need to do to get it working a I cannot get anything on my computer, Im sure its set up correctly

• Re: Slingbox 500 in UK
          shaysfn Novice

Hey Godger,

Thanks for using our Answers Forum.  I understand that you purchased a Slingbox 500 here in the US and  imported it to the UK and are now trying to get it to work.

The Slingbox 500 was not designed to work in the UK yet, just the US and Canada, that is why those are your only 2 selections available.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Moderation Team

Godger

Hi it helps to answer the question but now I have the box that doesnt work, will I be able to have it upgraded once the software is available?

Gordon Melling

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 08:15:50 -0800

To: gordonmelling@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: - Slingbox 500 in UK

Slingbox Answers Forum

Slingbox 500 in UK

reply from shaysfn in General Slingbox 500 Questions - View the full discussion

Hey Godger, Thanks for using our Answers Forum.  I understand that you purchased a Slingbox 500 here in the US and  imported it to the UK and are now trying to get it to work.  The Slingbox 500 was not designed to work in the UK yet, just the US and Canada, that is why those are your only 2 selections available. Hope this helps. Thanks, Sling Moderation Team

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in General Slingbox 500 Questions at Slingbox Answers Forum

shaysfn Novice

Hey Godger,

Good to hear from you again.  Once we have the Slingbox 500 available in the UK, yours will work fine.  At this time, I have no ETA as to when that will be.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Moderation

Godger

Hi thanks for the reply is there not a quick fix so that I could use the box? I bought it for the wireless connect or is there another box I could use that has wireless connection to the internet?

Gordon Melling

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 08:32:54 -0800

Slingbox Answers Forum

Slingbox 500 in UK

reply from shaysfn in General Slingbox 500 Questions - View the full discussion

Hey Godger, Good to hear from you again.  Once we have the Slingbox 500 available in the UK, yours will work fine.  At this time, I have no ETA as to when that will be. Hope this helps. Thanks, Sling Moderation

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in General Slingbox 500 Questions at Slingbox Answers Forum

shaysfn Novice

Hey Godger,

Hi again.  At this time, there is no quick fix for being able to use this in the UK, it is not available.  There is no other Slingbox that offers the WiFi, the Slingbox 500 is the first to offer this option.

Keep an eye on our website for information about when it will be available in the UK.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Moderation Team 

alanrichey42 Master

The purpose of that question about your location is simply to select the correct program guide,   That feature has never been implemented outside of the USA and I guess it never will be.  Just select USA and any ZIP code (I use 90210 - Beverly Hills ) and any TV provider you like, it's irrelevant.   Then carry on with the setup and you are good to go.

The only problem you might get is that your device might not be in the supported list.  And for some inexplicable reason Sling have not included the functionality to install a Custom Remote in the 500.  But the good news is that it uses the same manufacturer/model drop down selection as the UK Pro-HD, so many UK boxes are supported.  I my case the Sky boxes and the Roku boxes are all supported so I am happily running a 500 with the Roku box on the HDMI (let's me get BBC iPlayer  worldwide) and the Sky box through the composite.

Al

Godger

Hi Al

Thanks mate that is good news, I have a Panasonic smart tv with inbuilt free view box have you had any dealings with that type of tv?

Gordon Melling

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 09:05:34 -0800

Subject: Re: Re: Slingbox 500 in UK - Slingbox 500 in UK Re: Slingbox 500 in UK

Slingbox Answers Forum

Slingbox 500 in UK

reply from alanrichey42 in General Slingbox 500 Questions - View the full discussion

The purpose of that question about your location is simply to select the correct program guide,  That feature has never been implemented outside of the USA and I guess it never will be.  Just select USA and any ZIP code (I use 90210 - Beverly Hills  ) and any TV provider you like, it's irrelevant.  Then carry on with the setup and you are good to go. The only problem you might get is that your device might not be in the supported list.  And for some inexplicable reason Sling have not included the functionality to install a Custom Remote in the 500.  But the good news is that it uses the same manufacturer/model drop down selection as the UK Pro-HD, so many UK boxes are supported.  I my case the Sky boxes and the Roku boxes are all supported so I am happily running a 500 with the Roku box on the HDMI (let's me get BBC iPlayer  worldwide) and the Sky box through the composite.  Al

alanrichey42 Master
                                    I have a Panasonic smart tv with inbuilt free view box have you had any dealings with that type of tv?

Afraid not.   If you don't have a Pro-HD yourself just tell me the Model number and I will see if it appears in the supported list.

Update:  Actually that is pointless, you can check yourself on the 500

Godger

Hi Al

Im not home at the moment so I will have to wait a month as at work and wanted the slingbox for just this reason. Ill phone a friend as they say and find out which model it is. Thanks for your help.

Gordon Melling

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 09:19:58 -0800

Slingbox Answers Forum

Slingbox 500 in UK

reply from alanrichey42 in General Slingbox 500 Questions - View the full discussion

I have a Panasonic smart tv with inbuilt free view box have you had any dealings with that type of tv? Afraid not.   If you don't have a Pro-HD yourself just tell me the Model number and I will see if it appears in the supported list.

Godger

Hi Al

The Panasonic tv's I have are TXP42 ST30B and TH37 PX60CAB

Not sure if they will be in the drop down menu

Cheers

Gordon Melling

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 09:19:58 -0800

Slingbox Answers Forum

Slingbox 500 in UK

I have a Panasonic smart tv with inbuilt free view box have you had any dealings with that type of tv? Afraid not.   If you don't have a Pro-HD yourself just tell me the Model number and I will see if it appears in the supported list.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, temporarily on holiday without laptop so will check on Tuesday

Godger

Ok no worries Im not home so cant do anything either, Im at work t the moment but enjoy your holiday.

Gordon Melling

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 09:01:49 -0800

Slingbox Answers Forum

Slingbox 500 in UK reply from alanrichey42 in General Slingbox 500 Questions - View the full discussion

OK, temporarily on holiday without laptop so will check on Tuesday

alanrichey42 Master
                                                  The Panasonic tv's I have are TXP42 ST30B and TH37 PX60CAB

Not sure if they will be in the drop down menu

No. those specific models are not in the dropdown list, but under 'Other Controllable Devices' and 'Panasonic' there are pages and pages of models.  And I tihnk Panasonic TVs do tend to use similar codes so you might be lucky.

Sorry, best I can do.

Godger

Hi Al

Hope you had a good holiday, thanks for all your help Ill need to sit down when home and look what tv do you currently use maybe I can get one for my bedroom and work it out from there but I will try get connected with current tv. Did you connect through your dvd player or directly to the tv?

Thanks again

Gordon Melling

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 23:47:35 -0800

From: answers@slingmedia.com

Slingbox Answers Forum

Slingbox 500 in UK

The Panasonic tv's I have are TXP42 ST30B and TH37 PX60CABNot sure if they will be in the drop down menuNo. those specific models are not in the dropdown list, but under 'Other Controllable Devices' and 'Panasonic' there are pages and pages of models.  And I tihnk Panasonic TVs do tend to use similar codes so you might be lucky. Sorry, best I can do.

alanrichey42 Master
                                                          what tv do you currently use maybe I can get one for my bedroom and work it out from there but I will try get connected with current tv. Did you connect through your dvd player or directly to the tv?

Not sure what you mean here.   What TV I use is irelevant, as I said earlier I am driving the 500 with a Sky box and a Roku box.

or am I missing something ?

Godger

no sorry Al Im trying to do to many things at same time, thanks for your help.

Kind Regards

Gordon Melling

Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 00:20:08 -0800

Slingbox Answers Forum

Slingbox 500 in UK

what tv do you currently use maybe I can get one for my bedroom and work it out from there but I will try get connected with current tv. Did you connect through your dvd player or directly to the tv?Not sure what you mean here.   What TV I use is irelevant, as I said earlier I am driving the 500 with a Sky box and a Roku box. or am I missing something ?

Godger

Hi Al

Sorry to bother you can you tell me if you are using the component out connections or just the HDMI, I have been looking for a new set top box and none seem to have component out connections, I have looked at youview and freeview I even contacted a shop to ask these questions and received the same answer, I know I can get an adapter for the scart plug but then it leaves the audio to be connected.

Gordon MellingSKYPE gordon.melling

Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 00:20:08 -0800

Slingbox Answers Forum

Slingbox 500 in UK

what tv do you currently use maybe I can get one for my bedroom and work it out from there but I will try get connected with current tv. Did you connect through your dvd player or directly to the tv?Not sure what you mean here.   What TV I use is irelevant, as I said earlier I am driving the 500 with a Sky box and a Roku box. or am I missing something ?

alanrichey42 Master

Personally I use the composite connection for the Sky box and the HDMI for the Roku box, as the Roku has no other output.  But as far as I know there is no reason why you shouldn't use the HDMI from the Set top box/Sky box and the pass-through from the Slingbox to drive the TV.

What's your objection to using the adaptor ?

Godger

Hi Al

Slingbox advise using component connection as a backup to the HDMI

Gordon MellingSKYPE gordon.melling

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 07:38:37 -0800

Slingbox Answers Forum

Slingbox 500 in UK

Personally I use the composite connection for the Sky box and the HDMI for the Roku box, as the Roku has no other output.  But as far as I know there is no reason why you shouldn't use the HDMI from the Set top box/Sky box and the pass-through from the Slingbox to drive the TV. What's your objection to using the adaptor ?