66 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2013 8:25 PM by goattee RSS

WD TV - Slow response time

Aaronho

I just purchased a WDTV to work with my slingbox 350, and I need some advice.  The WDTV response time for button pushes is unacceptable to the point of being useless.  Pressing channel up (or any other button) results in a 10-20 second delay before the command responds.  It is definitely the WD TV box, because when I use the same Slingplayer on my PC, Android, or Ipad, there is a much shorter delay (under 3 seconds).

The WDTV on screen says the buffer is 3 seconds, but there's no way that's true.  I have the latest firmware, but it still doesn't work correctly.

My questions is this: what is the best connected device to use with Slingbox?  Is the Logitech Revue or Boxee Box more responsive to commands?  Would really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks!

• Re: WD TV - Slow response time
          ACC4464448

I don't believe the Boxee Box is the answer - it has been discountinued and I found it to be very unstable and it would constantly go offline when on wifi. I understand that Google TV devices such as the Sony NSZ-GS7 and Vizio Co-star might be viable options - but i have no personal experience with the products - just stay away from the Boxee Box - it is on the shelves - but it is redundant.

Anyone had success running the products above as a Slingplayer?

callanish Apprentice

I originally used the Revue for sling streaming, then slingmedia decided that it wasn't worth the continuing support, so we were left with one buggy frame issue freezing mess. Purchased the Sony NSZ model and have had a very good remote viewing experience with slinging. The picture quality and stability has been pretty solid. Controlling the slingplayer with the Sony remote is passable, but nowhere near as convenient as the slingcatcher remote. Still, as a slingplayer alternative, the Sony does the job. Don't have any experience with the co-star, but I'm assuming it would be comparable.

Aaronho

Is it Sling not updating or Logitech in regards to the Revue?  I asked Sling what the issue was with the WD TV, and I was told that it's an issue with the WD software and they have nothing to do with that.  But that makes no sense.  Doesn't Sling make the Slingplayer for that device?  If I can pull HD quality streams with little button response delay on my PC, Android, and Ipad, then why can't I do the same on the WDTV?  And more importantly, who is responsible for fixing this issue?

I think I'm going to return the WDTV and get the Vizio device instead.  My concern is that the Vizio device might use the same Slingplayer as the Logitech Revue, since they're both offshoots of Google TV.  Can anyone confirm this?

Aaronho

I just looked at the reviews for the Vizio Co-Star on Amazon and its reviews are even worse than the WDTV, complete with device freezes, overheating, unresponsive keyboard, etc. 

I am now totally baffled.  Sling says the Slingbox can play on any TV, but the WDTV use of Slingplayer is almost useless, others have said the Logitech review has a major frame rate problem, and someone in this thread said the Boxee has been discontinued and won't do the job.  So, I ask the Sling community, what is the best 3rd party device to SMOOTHLY stream Slingbox onto an HDTV?

callanish Apprentice

I can't speak for the Vizio, I can only speak for the Sony and my own experience. I use the Sony for a lot more tasks than the slingplayer, so it gets a workout, and from the time I've owned it, it has never frozen, the keyboard / remote control has never misssed a beat and I keep it in a well ventilated location with a fan, so it doesn't run all that hot, in comparison to say my roku box.

The Revue with its single intel chip was underpowered and the dual arm chip in the sony / vizio has rectified the performance problem I was experiencing with my slingbox seeing problems on the Revue from video freezing while the audio continued to an extremely low frame rate that made the slingplayer on the revue unusable. There will never be a solution to this, so you either go cheap, with the Vizio and hope that you don't experience the problems that others have, or spend the extra money and try the Sony. Just purchase it from a place that has an easy return policy if you can. For me, I can't complain about how the sony handles a sling stream, so it's the one I'd try considering I've also owned the WDTV live player and found too many issues with it, so I sent it back.

Aaronho

So are you saying that the issues with the Logitech Revue are related to the hardware and not the software?  From reading previous posts, it sounded like there was a firmware update that affected the Revue and its Slingplayer app, rendering it useless.  Wouldn't that same piece of firmware affect the Sony device since its also a Google TV.  Or am I mistaken, and all Google TVs run different software?

callanish Apprentice

I believe it's a hardware issue that could have been fixed with a firmware update, but was never going to be addressed by Logitech, Google or Sling due to the time and effort getting it to work successfully with a single chip intel atom processor and Google tv's honeycomb O.S 3.2 was being optimized for the dual core arm architecture. Sling knew they'd have to trackdown the problem with the revue if they could, and then pass that fix to be integrated into the next firmware update of Google Tv, but it wasn't worth spending time on a product that Logitech had washed its hands of, so they swept any chance of a fix under the rug and moved on to optimizing the slingplayer with the dual core arm marvell chip in the Vizio and Sony.

So, a lack of processing power in the Revue was a factor for why it was never a very good box in the first place for the sling-app. Could it have been fixed. I don't know. It never really worked all that well to begin with. All I know is a workaround by sling and google was required to get it to work and they weren't going to invest the effort in getting it to run on any hardware that was abandoned. As you can tell, sling has a bit of a problem with their connected devices.They've hardly got any platform's stable and those that they do have, they're still working out the bugs. Xbox's, ps3's, smarttv's, roku's, etc, have all been waiting on the sidelines for sling app compatibility. The connected devices we do have are still a work in process and now we've lost the boxee, so it's a bit of a frustrating mess.

The slingcatcher remains my favorite connected device ( unfortunately a no go with the 350 and 500 ) , but from my experience, up to this point, the Sony does a pretty good job as a replacement, so if you're completely turned off by the Vizio reviews, and don't want to hang around for some future firmware fix on the wdtv live, then all I can tell you is I've been pretty happy with how well the Sony works with my slingbox.

Aaronho

Great response. I just wonder why Sling can't mirror the experience on the iPad or Android apps on these connected devices? If the Sony

GTV player uses android, why can't I just use the Android App from the Play store? Is that option not available?

On the Android and IPad player, the Slingplayer app has a built in guide, and you can just slide your finger up and down to see what's on tv.  Trying to accomplish the same task using the cable box's guide through a Slingbox is torture. Every time you click up or down to sift through the stations, you have to wait somewhere between 3 and 20 seconds. I was driving myself insane trying to browse the cable box guide using the wdtv. Why can't sling make an in-app guide for these connected devices to make show browsing easier? I doubt anyone wants to sift through 200 channels on the cable box guide when it takes 10 seconds every time you click the down arrow.

In your experience, how long does it take the Sony GTV to respond to a command? Waiting 10-20 seconds like I did on the WDTV isn't worth it to me, and I'd just assume return my Slingbox and all related connected devices.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Callanish - could you tell me if the Sony/Google TV interface for the Slingplayer is the same or similar to the WDTV's?

The WDTV's is not ideal but passable so if Sling or WDTV can't solve the issues then maybe I'll try one of the GTVs.

What are the key mappings on the GTV players? Off the top of my head the WDTV directly maps the number keys, select, back, cursor left/right/up/down page up and down, TV guide which cover the essentials for me. Main annoyance is the coloured buttons have different functionality ie when inside the remote EPG for Sky the coloured buttons are useful for accessing the planner, deleting recordings etc but with the WDTV you have to navigate to the coloured buttons on the Slingplayer UI.

If this is the same on the GTV then it'd be ok I suppose.

I tried to test by loading download.slingmedia.com/spcd/gtv/ into my browser but it fails on a compatibility error.

callanish Apprentice

It's pretty much exactly the same setup, including the keymapping. You still have to go through the same procedure to use the coloured / colored buttons. Definitely not as efficient as the slingcatcher, but if you're familiar with the slingplayer interface on the WDTV live, then you're good to go with the GoogleTV boxes.

I personally think the interface is the biggest downside to using the GoogleTV box as a connected device, but like you, I can live with it. On the upside, it's been stable, hasn't disconnected on me so far and the speeds are comparable to slingcatcher speeds. I mean, like I said before, I'm using it for a bunch of other stuff. Using a proxy server allows me to connect to U.K content, BBC iplayer, ITV player, Live and catchup TV, etc, without always needing the slingbox, so that's nice. Also, it lets me connect to Netflix U.K for regional content that isn't on the Netflix U.S site, and the GTVbox app has been great for playing AVI, MKV, and MP4 content which I have on a hard drive connected to the Google TV box. Also, I uploaded my entire music collection to Google Music, so it's nice to have that as my TV is hooked up to a home theatre system, and then there's the slingplayer app, so for someone like me from the U.K, living in the U.S; it's been a great all in one box. I know the WDTV live + hub can do a lot of the same stuff, except the things that Chrome allows you to do, but like I said before, I didn't have a great experience with the slingplayer on the WDTV Live box...now I do.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Great thanks for the info, that's very helpful.

The one thing I'm looking for is a box that I know will be supported.

The WDTV is really nice, it's small and it's cheap enough that I could have 2-3 around the house for catching but at the moment I can't get a response out of either WD or Sling with regards to fixing the player. It's like neither wants to take responsibility for it!

Aaronho

Same. I waited for 45 mins to speak with a Sling rep today about the WDTV delayed key presses. When I finally got in touch with an agent, I was told that It must be an issue with that specific device since the Slingbox works fine with my pc, android and IPad. I told the rep it was likely the Slingplayer app for the device, but that fell on deaf ears.

Sling really needs to do some Quality Control. It does no good to license their player to 3rd parties if consumers who buy these devices cannot use them for their intended purpose. With numerous devices reporting similar problems (Logitech Revue, WDTV, Vizio GTV), it's tough to point the finger at the 3rd party manufacturers. Sling is undercutting their brand putting out a shoddy app, and that's only going to end up with angry customers. I'm going to end up paying a 15% restocking fee on my WDTV that I bought specifically for use with my Slingbox. Why should I, as the consumer, be financially responsible for the beta products Sling is putting on the market that claim to be consumer ready?

I wish a Sling employee would weigh in. I'm sure they read these forums.

OvCollyer Apprentice

A couple more Qs if I may?

Firstly, how is the delay in issuing commands on the GTV Slingplayer? I've noticed that even at its fastest, the WDTV is tediously slow, like 3-5 seconds slow whereas the SlingCatcher is a couple seconds max for me. Also, sometimes the WDTV slips into some kind of extended buffer state where each command can take 10-20 seconds, which of course renders it almost unusable. Does this happen for you with the Sony?

Secondly, do they have a proper BBC iPlayer app on Google TV now? I can't seem to find a definitive answer online. The UK reviews I've read, from a couple of months ago, seem to mention that at that time there wasn't one and you had to go via Chrome, but they mentioned an app was in development?

It'll be a shame to have to return the WDTV because it has a nice UI and a decent iPlayer app, but I've had zero support on these forums from Sling about the issues with the Slingplayer app and my support ticket with WD isn't giving me much hope either. From what I can tell they've released a shoddy version and nobody cares enough to support it. Or if they do, they're doing a pretty awful PR job with it.

Thanks.

Aaronho

I returned my WD TV and purchased the new Sony GTV.  It is just as awful. The Slingplayer app can't hold an Internet connection and constantly times out.  Much like the WD TV, it sometimes switches channels in the 3-5 second range, but it's usually more like 10-20 seconds. Trying to navigate the cable box's program guide is a major frustration. Who wants to wait 10 seconds for each scroll down?

These devices clearly aren't ready for Primetime, and Sling should be embarrassed that they're putting alpha level products on the market.  The iPad, Android, and PC apps are almost flawless. I'd recommend dumping the 3rd party device, and instead finding a way to mirror your iPad or android on the tv set.  You will drive yourself insane trying to get a consistent,useable signal from any of these devices.

callanish Apprentice

@Aaronho

I'll agree with you on the interface and the remote switching delay on the Sony box, but after around 100 hours of time running the slingplayer through the Sony GTV box, I haven't lost a connection yet and the speeds have been stable. I'm running TCP on the slingbox and ethernet connected on the Sony GTV box. I've noticed switching the router over to SNATT / UDP on the Slingbox side forces the 'Relay' protocol on the Sony GTV box which is erratic and does cause instability to the stream that it'll time out. Don't know if that has anything to do with your problem.

From my understanding, Flash is the reason for why we're getting a 'relay' type stream on a connected device rather than SNATT / UDP. On my P.C, I'm getting double the speeds on a remote connection through SNATT than I am using TCP, but TCP seems to be stable for me on the Sony GTV box, and with a remote slingbox 5000 miles away, I'll take stability over speed.

Why you are experiencing connection issues and streaming problems, and I've yet to see anything like what you're dealing with is a head scratcher, but from my experience, I can only say my Sony GTV box has been as stable as my slingcatcher up to this point.

Aaronho

I don't get it. I have an ad hoc Internet hot spot created by my Droid

Razr. Works fine with my computer and Ipad, but with the Sony box and the

WDTV, the stream constantly times out.

I wonder if there is an issue with the box playing nicely with a hot spot

network. But that wouldn't make much sense since we're talking about an

android phone conversing with an Android device (gtv). Thoughts?

callanish Apprentice

I found both the WDTV live and the Sony GTV box temperamental running the slingplayer app through wi-fi. Ended up running an Ethernet cable to the box from the router to solve the problem on the Sony. The WDTV live still had connection issues even with Ethernet. Sad the lengths you've got to go to, but it seems like anything less than a perfect network gives the gtv box or the wdtv live an excuse to spit you out. go figure. i never encountered another problem with the gtvbox on anything Internet related either through wi-fi or ethernet. The slingplayer app was the only reason I needed to hookup the box to an Ethernet cable which tells me how twitchy the slingplayer app on a connected device can be when using wi-fi.

Your ad-hoc hot spot is probably ideal under most circumstances, but the way I see it, from what I encountered over the last few months, is the instability of the slingplayer app running on either the wdtv live or the Sony GTVbox through wi-fi and that's going to make things difficult for you to run the slingplayer app with your current setup. Probably not what you wanted to hear, so I hope there's a better solution for you outside of my limited knowledge.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Presumably you've not been able to try a fixed Ethernet DSL connection or anything, for either device?

OvCollyer Apprentice

Unfortunately the iPad Slingplayer's airplay mirroring (Apple TV) is hit and miss for me too.

On one TV it gets into an endless cycle of buffering, and rebuffering, but never streams.

On another TV it squashes the widescreen source image (which displays correctly on the iPad) into a 4:3 block on the TV, and there is no way to adjust this.

Airplay works fine on other apps, so it's Slingplayer's implementation that is screwed.

I have reported these issues, but as usual no feedback was given to my posts so I've no idea if these bug reports were taken onboard.

callanish Apprentice

@OvCollyer

"Firstly, how is the delay in issuing commands on the GTV Slingplayer?  I've noticed that even at its fastest, the WDTV is tediously slow, like  3-5 seconds slow whereas the SlingCatcher is a couple seconds max for  me. Also, sometimes the WDTV slips into some kind of extended buffer  state where each command can take 10-20 seconds, which of course renders  it almost unusable. Does this happen for you with the Sony?"

Aaronho seems to be experiencing a longer delay than I do. 10 seconds is maximum, but like I've said before I'm dealing with a distance latency and even with the slingcatcher, I'm still dealing with a 5 - 10 second delay. I can't say that the Sony gets any slower on remote functions as the buffer gets filled. If it did, I'd most definitely notice that.

"Secondly, do they have a proper BBC iPlayer app on Google TV now? I  can't seem to find a definitive answer online. The UK reviews I've read,  from a couple of months ago, seem to mention that at that time there  wasn't one and you had to go via Chrome, but they mentioned an app was  in development"?

No, there's no built in app like the WDTV live box. GoogleTV uses Chrome for the BBC iplayer, just like for the ITV player, TVCatchup, etc.

"It'll be a  shame to have to return the WDTV because it has a nice UI and a decent  iPlayer app, but I've had zero support on these forums from Sling about  the issues with the Slingplayer app and my support ticket with WD isn't  giving me much hope either. From what I can tell they've released a  shoddy version and nobody cares enough to support it. Or if they do,  they're doing a pretty awful PR job with it."

We live in a tech cycle where products gets released half baked and if the bugs aren't fixed within that cycle, they get thrown under a bus and the consumer along with it. The Logitech Revue was one of those products that I purchased in which slingmedia gave up on before it was even functional. The WDTV live did work for me, but it dropped the connection way too often. Why sling has never invested more time and effort in getting these connected devices to work the way they should is a bit of a puzzle. They had full control over the slingcatcher's hardware and software. Now that they've farmed out the hardware, they've bitten off more than they can chew with these connected devices and making the web link sling app compatible and stable with that hardware has been a huge disappointment.

It's just bizarre that Aaronho can go out and purchase his Sony GTV box to be used with his slingbox and have a horrible experience, but with my setup, outside of the user interface mess, I don't really have all that much to complain about. Believe me, if I had nothing but problems, I'd be the first to scream foul, but I don't. I'll continue to monitor it, and if I get to the milestone of 200 hours on the slingplayer app without a problem, then I'll be impressed. The whole Google TV experience isn't perfect; nothing is, but as a bang for the buck purchase, it's got to be the most highly used product that I've ever had connected to a TV.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Thanks for the info.

My WDTV is wired directly to the router for the most stable connection. As I've posted elsewhere in great detail, I think it just can't cope with normal fluctuations in the connection speed aswell as other players do. Whether that is down to the WDTV hardware, the Linux flash player on the WDTV (version 9 it states when streaming - I think we're up to 11 now?) or the Slingplayer application itself, who knows.

I agree completely with your comments about the whole connected devices programme. I can just about forgive them for dumping the SlingCatcher, as I presume it was a business failure, but if they can't even show any pride in the supposed replacement, or even acknowledge there may be issues, then it puts me in the category of people who have been a loyal Sling consumer for a long time but definitely have more than half an eye on what the rivals are doing - it'll be interesting to see what Vulcano's HD box is like next year.

Aaronho

I don't think any piece of hardware will fix this issue. It's clearly a software problem with slingplayer. My guess is the best fix will be to mirror your phone or tablet onto your hd screen. I think I read there are products coming out that can do this which use Widi.

Until then, I don't know whether I should return my Slingbox or not. If I can't use it on the big screen ,it'll just collect dust .

OvCollyer Apprentice

I forgot to ask - have you had a chance to try the Sony connecting to one of the new Slingboxes?

My issues with the WDTV (freezing in high quality settings being the main one) are more prevalent when connecting to a new 350, though it still happens when connecting to the Pro-HD.

Obviously there is a higher resolution option now for the 350/500 so I wonder if that might tax the Sony/Visio enough to tip it over the edge.

I appreciate all the info you've given out about your experiences.

Aaronho

If I don't already have slingplayer on my tv, what makes Boxee redundant?

andrermf Newbie

Callanish

are you using the new slingboxes on the Sony NSZ or the old ones (Pro-HD and Solo). My WDTV works fine with Solo and Pro-HD but with the 500 it freezes and disconnects a lot.

Cheers

callanish Apprentice

@andremf

I'm using two older models with the Sony, and it's still working fine with them. Also, like you, the older slingbox's also work fine with the WDTV live that I just recently reconnected for sling use. Wasn't always that way, but now all three connected devices, including my slingcatcher, are pretty stable with a remote connection, so no complaints. ( touch wood ).

The 350 and 500 are, with all things sling, a work in progress and, as you've experienced, have an ongoing need for some bug fixing to be usable with the WDTV live.

OvCollyer Apprentice

andrermf:

I will be able to give you a side by side comparison of the Google TVs (both Sony and Vizio) when used with a Pro-HD and a 350 in a few days after I have picked up the boxes from London and returned to Istanbul.

Both Slingboxes are connected to the same 1080i source via component pass-through so it should be useful, especially given I've had insurmountable issues with the WDTV with the 350 (and to a slightly lesser extent with the Pro-HD too).

andrermf Newbie

Cool! Let's see what you can get.

Cheers

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 03:11:27 -0800

From: answers@slingmedia.com

To: andrermf@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: - WD TV - Slow response time

Slingbox Answers Forum

reply from OvCollyer in General Questions - View the full discussion

I will be able to give you a side by side comparison of the Google TVs (both Sony and Vizio) when used with a Pro-HD and a 350 in a few days after I have picked up the boxes from London. Both Slingboxes are connected to the same 1080i source via component pass-through so it should be useful, especially given I've had insurmountable issues with the WDTV with the 350 (and to a slightly lesser extent with the Pro-HD too).

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in General Questions at Slingbox Answers Forum

OvCollyer Apprentice

Some early impressions having hooked up the Vizio Co-Star to connect remotely to my 350.

The good news is that it doesn't appear to suffer the same irrecoverable freezing issue as the WDTV when on high quality. I will need to plug the WDTV back in to test it again just in case something else has changed.

Picture quality is the same as the WDTV, ie good.

The bad news is the responses to commands work identically to the WDTV. At the start this is around 5s or so, but I noticed, as many others have reported, that:

1. If you issue too many commands at once, the stream will freeze, and although it now recovers (whereas the WDTV doesn't) the buffer ends up being large, e.g. anything from 10-30s which means subsequent commands take this long.

2. Similarly, if the connection fluctuates and the stream freezes due to this then although it recovers, the buffer can end up large as above.

The other big downside of the Co-Star for me is that there is no Back button mapping, so for example to exit my remote EPG I have to navigate to the on screen controls and find the Back button there, but for my Sky+ HD box this is somewhat hidden away. The WDTV had a physical key mapped to Back which was very useful.

Going back to the slow commands - I can't understand why they can't just make these players work like the web player and Slingcatcher etc. ie when you issue a command, or the connection fluctuates then just ditch the buffer so it's never longer than 3s. What is the point in it ending up with a buffer of 20-30s? I just don't get what they are trying to achieve, it makes no sense to me.

Fix that, and then add a way to customise key mappings and it would be half decent. It's silly that my remote EPG makes use of the four coloured buttons, yet these exist on my Co-Star remote but do not do anything at all when inside the Slingplayer. Give me the means to map them!

I will try the Sony player too, but I am anticipating it will work identically to the Co-Star.

OvCollyer Apprentice

...and the Sony NSZ is basically the same, ie it is stable in the sense that it rarely freezes but if the bandwidth drops to the extent that causes a freeze then it still recovers, but at the expense of a large buffer size (I'm currently looking at a 25s one) and thus unusable controls.

OvCollyer Apprentice

...and just to doubly check nothing has been fixed on the quiet with regard to the WDTV, when connecting to a remote 350, I just swapped the WDTV back in having just run the Sony smoothly for a while and the WDTV froze within a minute and never recovered, ie I had to disconnect.

So there are two major and separate issues I am experiencing:

1. WDTV when connecting to a 350 - cannot handle stream fluctuations, just freezes an doesn't recover. The Sony and Vizio boxes can freeze but they always pick up the stream again.

2. All connected devices to a 350 - remote commands can take ages sometimes because the stream buffers up hugely after a freeze or a rapid sequence of control commands.

Whether something has been fixed for the 500 with the recent firmware would be interesting to know.

slingster2

I just got the WD Live TV hooked up to run with the slingbox 500 and yes, the lag time is terrible!  Basically all remote functions took more about 10 seconds and they are quite useless.  It's so slow that if you entering more than 1 digit channel number is impossible for my tivo to register the 2nd digit since it takes 10 seconds to register the first one.  

andrermf Newbie

I'm watching my slingbox 500 remotely with my wdtv live and it's working perfect for 33 minutes. I've change the channel several times and is not freezing. Can this be related to the new firmware released yesterday? For sure....

Guys please try and let me know

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 06:34:40 -0800

From: answers@slingmedia.com

To: andrermf@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: - WD TV - Slow response time

Slingbox Answers Forum

reply from slingster2 in General Questions - View the full discussion

I just got the WD Live TV hooked up to run with the slingbox 500 and yes, the lag time is terrible!  Basically all remote functions took more about 10 seconds and they are quite useless.  It's so slow that if you entering more than 1 digit channel number is impossible for my tivo to register the 2nd digit since it takes 10 seconds to register the first one.  

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

OvCollyer Apprentice

andrermf

Interesting, but I'm unable to test as I don't have a 500 and the 350 hasn't had a firmware update.

Have you continued to have success with it since the update? If you interrupt the connection (run speed test or something?) can you force the WDTV player to have a larger buffer so that subsequent commands are slow?

andrermf Newbie

Hi

The results are good. Yesterday I had it hooked for 1h20min and all fine .

I don't understand what you mean with increase the buffer. The one of the commands are still slow like they were with the pro-hd but generally I'm very happy with the picture quality ( ver near cable tv hd quality ) and not freezing. Will continue the tests and let you know

Sent from my iPhone

El 15/12/2012, a las 15:38, OvCollyer <answers@slingmedia.com> escribió:

Slingbox Answers Forum

andrermf

Interesting, but I'm unable to test as I don't have a 500 and the 350 hasn't had a firmware update.

Have you continued to have success with it since the update? If you interrupt the connection (run speed test or something?) can you force the WDTV player to have a larger buffer so that subsequent commands are slow?

OvCollyer Apprentice

Ok basically I mean what happens if your bandwidth drops for a short time to make the stream freeze - after it recovers does it still have a small buffer (3-5s)?

Press the red button on the WDTV to bring up the stream info.

You can simulate such a drop in bandwidth by running a speedtest (speedtest.net) on another device on the same LAN and seeing what happens to the WDTV player and the stats displayed.

andrermf Newbie

Hi

No change of buffer. Always 3 seconds. The only time it freezes now is in the las moment when changing the channel  but that happened in pro hd too.

Now they have to fix the audio. Curious I make the bandwidth test, get 3.5 and they still recommend better quality

Sent from my iPhone

El 15/12/2012, a las 18:20, OvCollyer <answers@slingmedia.com> escribió:

Slingbox Answers Forum

Ok basically I mean what happens if your bandwidth drops for a short time to make the stream freeze - after it recovers does it still have a small buffer (3-5s)?

Press the red button on the WDTV to bring up the stream info.

You can simulate such a drop in bandwidth by running a speedtest (speedtest.net) on another device on the same LAN and seeing what happens to the WDTV player and the stats displayed.

tcaradonna Novice

I couldn't finish reading this entire thread as it is very long, but I wanted to mention a few points:

1. I've been a user of SlingCatcher, WDTV, BoxeeBox and the latest Sony GoogleTV(same software as Logitech Revue).  They ALL have a delay that is fairly similar.

2. Despite the presence of a countdown timer on the screen, I believe that it has nothing to do with the ability to continue sending commands.  In order words, if you want to skip down 10 items on a list, you don't have to want for 10 delays to do this.  Click your button 10 times, and it should respond appropriately.

OvCollyer Apprentice

The difference though is that I've never encountered a situation where an earlier freeze or glitch in the stream has caused the Slingcatcher to delay commands for 10s upwards.

I've used multiple Slingcatchers for years and can't remember this ever happening. On the same connection, the WDTV and GTV players exhibit this behaviour.

So this seems to be a peculiarity of the Slingplayer for connected devices only.

It appears to get into a state whereby it sometimes ends up with this huge buffer. Even if the Slingcatcher ends up with a large buffer like this (there is no way to check) this doesn't cause commands to be delayed. At a guess, the buffer or stream is skipped when you issue commands on the Slingcatcher, whereas this isn't happening on the connected device players so you are forced to view the contents of the buffer before you see the result of the commands.

Or maybe the Slingcatcher doesn't acquire these large buffers in the same way, instead always keeping it at about 3s. I.e. if the bandwidth falls, then maybe the Slingcatcher and web players handle it better by skipping chunks of the buffer if it gets too big, so it's always no more than 3s.

Of course, if you have a stable connection then none of this would be noticeable, as it wouldn't glitch in the first place and get this huge buffer.

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hello again OvCollyer/All,

I verified with engineering that the Slingbox 350 firmware went out last week, so let me know if that improved performance, or what issues, if any, still persist. Thanks,

Matt

OvCollyer Apprentice

Thankyou Matt.

The good news is that it doesn't freeze in such a way that the only way to recover is to manually disconnect and reconnect. So you have solved that, from my experience.

The bad news is that when it does temporily freeze, such as when the connection bandwidth drops for a few moments, it usually gets in a state where commands take absolutely ages to work. I'm talking 10-20s per commands.

This also occurs if I execute several commands in quick succession. For example, if I bring up my EPG and then hit the right direction button 6 times in failry quick succession (which takes me to the 'Sport' category in my Sky+ EPG) this often leads to the stream freezing for maybe 10s or so and then after the stream returns it has entered the state I describe above where subsequent commands are incredibly and essentially unusably slow.

So in summary, it's now stable in that I can leave it on even the highest quality setting and I always get my stream back even if it freezes for a short time due to bandwidth issues, but issuing commands is unreliable.

Note that all of the above applies to remote connections. I believe these issues don't occur when streaming over the LAN because the connection is far more stable. You guys need to test it in remote situations.- I'm perfectly happy to give you access to my London-based box if that helps your engineering team.

If you can make the commands operate as quickly and reliably as the web player and SlingCatcher do over remote connections then I think you will make a lot of people very happy and significantly boost the attractiveness of the Slingplayer for connected devices.

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Thanks for your reply and details,

I'm forwarding your reply to my PM for Connected devices.

-Matt

OvCollyer Apprentice

Just another thing to add.

When the Slingplayer for connected devices gets in this 'delayed command state' then quite often the audio and video also become slightly out of sync. This doesn't seem to self adjust, so you have to disconnect and reconnect.

I've seen this issue on both the WDTV player and the Sony NSZ-GS7 GTV player.

I hope we will hear news of some progress with these issues soon, even if it's just to let us know you are working on fixes.

andrermf Newbie

Thats correct ovcoyller. That happens to me too.

Sent from my iPhone

El 01/01/2013, a las 11:57, OvCollyer <answers@slingmedia.com> escribió:

Slingbox Answers Forum

Just another thing to add.

When the Slingplayer for connected devices gets in this 'delayed command state' then quite often the audio and video also become slightly out of sync. This doesn't seem to self adjust, so you have to disconnect and reconnect.

I've seen this issue on both the WDTV player and the Sony NSZ-GS7 GTV player.

I hope we will hear news of some progress with these issues soon, even if it's just to let us know you are working on fixes.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Something else I have noticed, this time on the Sony Google TV player (maybe it does the same on WDTV, not sure).

When the Slingplayer gets into this delayed command state the progress indicator to the top right (where it rotates to fill in the blue box to indicate the command being issued) often becomes out of sync with the actual time it takes.

To better explain : right now I'm watching TV and if I hit the channel up button the blue indicator starts filling up very slowly, but the actual command takes effect when the indicator is only about 1/3 full. I.e. the channel change has occurred but the indicator still has 2/3 to 'fill up' and carries on doing so even though I am already watching the new channel.

I'm pretty sure you can easily reproduce these issues if you do some proper remote testing - the offer remains for you to use my London based box; since you are based in the US this might give you the kind of test you need, maybe comparable to me connecting to London from here in Istanbul, Turkey. I don't think you'll see these issues if you only test on the same LAN or at two locations that are linked by a short and stable Internet connection.

You made your name offering a solution that was robust over a variety of different Internet connections - it'd be a shame if these newer generation of players for connected devices didn't adhere to the high standards your founders previously established.

tcaradonna Novice

Yes, I noticed that behavior as well (WDTV and GoogleTV).  It led me to believe that the thing in the upper right was not a true progress bar, but just a visual cue to wait for a bit.  In actuality, the video feed was starting before finishing the animation, and I then noticed I was able to send multiple strings of commands to the box during the animation that would be accepted (not just buffered).  This was very helpful for scrolling down in menus and such.  Try it out and tell us if you get the same response.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Sure multiple commands have been a feature of the players forever - the trouble I find with the connected device players is that if I issue more than 3/4 commands in quick succession it can cause it to freeze for 10-20s and end up in an even worse state where commands are delayed even longer.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Matt

You said you were forwarding these issues to the project manager for connected devices.

Has there been any progress in addressing some of these longstanding issues?

Or are you guys just going to move onto new devices like Netgear NEO presumably with the same flaws?

OvCollyer Apprentice

I'm wondering if any progress is being made on this?

While streaming is generally pretty solid, controlling my remote STB is seriously limited to the point of being mostly useless with the current state of the connected device player for WDTV and others.

Honestly, you either need to advertise this as 'suitable for local viewing only' or fix it as remote viewing is basically flawed as a result of this longstanding issue!

goattee

I am having the same lengthy delay problem with the newly released WD TV Play device.

(I use the Slingbox Solo.)