13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2012 7:13 AM by shaysfn RSS

Question how Slingbox works

SlinginSammy

I don't own a slingbox..I have a question / scenario to see if slingbox would work for this.

I live in NY..I have a buddy that lives in MN but he wants the abilty to be able to watch NY sports teams games (Knicks, Rangers etc..)...

Can I setup a Slingbox on my TV in NY and then he can gain access (watch) the NY games?

If he wants to watch a NY Rangers game but I want to watch something else simealtinously on my TV where Slingbox is hooked up to, will he be able to watch the Rangers game simealtinously while I watch another program / channel???

Thank you.

• Re: Question how Slingbox works
          shaysfn Novice

Hey SlinginSammy,

Thanks for using our Answers Forum.  I understand that you have a couple of questions about our Slingboxes and connections.

Yes, if you setup a Slingbox at your house in NY, your friend in MN can go to Slingbox.com and access that Slingbox and watch the NY games.

You actually connect the Slingbox to your cable box, so he would have access to all kinds of NY programming.

Now, if you have the Slingbox connected to a TV and you are watching a program and your friend logs into the Slingbox, he will change the channel on you.  There is a way to have this not happen.  You would need to purchase a Slingbox PRO-HD.  The Slingbox PRO-HD has a built in tuner, so, you would have your cable come from your wall, split, and then one wire would go to your cable box, the other would go to the Slingbox.  Your friend could then access his sports and not change the channel on you.

The above link explains how to get in touch with Sling Media support anywhere in the world.  In the US you would simply call 877-GoSling(877-467-5464), our hours of operation are 10am to 10pm 7 days a week.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Moderation Team

SlinginSammy

Thank you for this information..Very helpful!

I’m not a technical guy…How can I split the cable from the wall?  Do you know of any particular products that could do that? 

Are there additional costs associated with my friend having to access Slingbox.com?

Slingbox sounds like a great product…Appreciate your assistance!

shaysfn Novice

Hey SlinginSammy,

Hey there and welcome again.  You can go to any Radio Shack or I believe even Walmart and you just need to get a "Splitter" it is a silver box that has one connection one end for the coax from the wall, and then the other end has two coax connections.

There are no monthly fees or anything for the Slingbox unless he want so access it from his phone or tablet.  Then he would have to purchase the app for that particular device.  If he access it from his computer, no extra costs at all, he would just go to Slingbox.com and click on Watch, simple as that.

It is an awesome product, I love mine.

Hope this helps and feel free to contact us anytime with any questions.

Thanks,

Sling Moderation Team

SlinginSammy

Excellent info!!  I understand now…Thank you very much! Enjoy your weekend!

alanrichey42 Master

Be very careful, an important point was not mentioned.   The proposed solution (Pro-HD tuner) will work ONLY if you are getting channels over the air, or you plug your coax lead directly into your TV.    If you have to plug the coax lead into some sort of extra box (Cable, Satellite....)  before it goes to the TV then the Pro-HD tuner will not work.  You will need to rent a second box to 'drive' the Slingbox.

Just think of the Slingbox as an ordinary TV that happens to send it's signal over the Internet rather than to a screen.   So if you could buy a spare TV for the bedroom and just plug the coax in then you are good to go with the Pro-HD.   If you would have to rent an extra 'box' for a bedroom TV then you will have to the same for the Slingbox.

881beacon

I just bought a Slingbox ProHD and have not installed anything yet. I want to install the Slingbox ProHd to an independent and exclusive cable box (Comcast) and independent and exclusive modem (comcast).

I will have the Geeksquad install the Slingbox, however I will be overseas when the installation is being performed and I will not be present at the time the Slingbox will be activated for the first time.

-How do I get the Slingbox id?

-How do I start wathcing for the first time on my computer while I am overseas?

I really would appreciate your input and help with this!

shaysfn Novice

Hey 881beacon,

Thanks for using our Answers Forum.  Congratulations on your new purchase.  I understand that you are having the Geek Squad come in and connect your Slingbox for you.

In order for you to be able to view your Slingbox overseas, you will need someone at the Slingbox location on a computer that is on the same network as the Slingbox go to setup.Slingbox.com and configure the Slingbox for you.  The site is self explanatory, but if they have any trouble, they can contact us here at Sling Media.

In the US, they would simply call 877-GoSling(877-467-5464), our hours of operation are 10am to 10pm est 7 days a week.

Once this is done, you would just go to Slingbox.com, log into your account and click on "Watch"

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Moderation Team

881beacon

Hi Shaysfn,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Can I configure the Slingbox for the first time on my computer while I am overeas?

I forgot to mention that I will not hookup the Slingbox Prohd to a TV, it will be connected to the cable box only.

Thanks

shaysfn Novice

Hey 881beacon,

Welcome back.  Your more than welcome.  I do apologize, but at this time for the initial configuration, it must be done on a computer that is on the same network as the Slingbox by going to setup.slingbox.com. The configuration is setting up your router to work with your Slingbox, and also setting your cable box to work with the Slingbox, and there may adjustments that have to be made at that time, and we also need to know the exact make and model of the cable box.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Moderation Team

881beacon

Hi shaysfn,

Ok, so the Geeksquad can do the initial configuration, setting up the router and cable box on their computer and then after this what data will I need to access my Slingbox?

What information will the Geeksquad need to leave  me so that I can be the administrator of my Slingbox account and be able to use my Slingbox while I am away from home?

Anything else I need to know to ask the Geeksquad as far as the set up of the Slingbox is concerned?

Any information I need to furnish the Geeksquad so that they can configure and setup everything with no problem?

Thanks again for your time and help with this!

shaysfn Novice

Hey 881beacon,

Glad to be of help.  You can go in and create your acount before the Slingsquad sets up and configures your Slingbox.  You will need to provide the Geek squad with your user id and password.

After they have configured everything, then you would simply go to Slingbox.com, log into your account, and click on Watch.  Simple as that.

The Geek squad will need to know the exact make and model of your Cable box and your cable provider.  There are instructions in the box with your Slingbox that will explain how to connect everything.  I would advise them to make sure that they have 2 sets of component cables and the red and white cables for audio.

If they have any trouble, they can give us a call and we can assist them.

This link explains how to get in touch with Sling support anywhere in the world.  In the US, they would simply call 877-GoSling(877-467-5464), our hours of operation are 10am to 10pm est 7 days a week.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Moderation Team.

881beacon

Hi shaysfn,

I already have my account.

Do i need to provide the geeksquad with the email address associated with my account?

In the Slingbox account in the directory section it asks for the Slingbox id, how can I get this?

Thanks,

shaysfn Novice

Hey 881beacon,

Hello again.  Yes, you will need to provide them with the email address and the password for your account so that they may configure the Slingbox.

When they configure the Slingbox, it will automatically assign itself to your account, you will not need the Slingbox ID, which is a url address assigned by the router.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Moderation Team