10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2012 9:43 PM by Kamakzie RSS

Slingbox 350 vs. Slingbox Pro-HD?

Kamakzie Newbie

I currently have a Pro-HD and was wondering if the 350 will do higher resolution?

• Re: Slingbox 350 vs. Slingbox Pro-HD?
          OvCollyer Apprentice

It will - it'll stream in 1920 x 1080 compared to 1920 x 540 for the Pro-HD.

In my experience the new box also streams noticeably more smoothly at all resolutions and without using the same bandwidth. My Pro-HD maxes out at 8mbps whereas the same source (Sky+ HD broadcast in 1080i) typically remains between 3-4mbps for me, both locally and remotely.

Be careful of which Slingplayer you want to use though - it won't work with the Slingcatcher or the Windows or Mac desktop players.

Also, the embedded and Facebook players don't appear to yet use the new highest resolution, or not for me on Mac anyway.

The Pro-HD also allows multiple inputs and has a tuner. The 350 allows two inputs but these have to share the same audio....so you'd need some kind of audio combiner or something. It doesn't have a tuner.

Also be aware that tablet and mobile devices may not use the new highest resolution - I read somewhere that the iPad maxes out at 720p for example.

Other obstacles include lack of custom remote support - if you needed a custom remote for your Pro-HD then this won't (yet) work with the 350. You can't manually configure the port used, it's hardcoded to 5201, so if that were a problem for you you've no current way around it.

If none of those are major obstacles I can recommend the 350 over the Pro-HD for video streaming quality - it's significantly better IMO.

Kamakzie Newbie

Is there anyway to watch the new Slingbox offline?  Sometimes my net goes down.  I would probably keep my Pro-HD as well.  I thought the new box had a component in and an out?

OvCollyer Apprentice

I'l think I read somewhere that to connect to the new SBs you need an Internet connection even for local viewing but I can't confirm that from personal experience.

Yes it has component in and out. I have my old Pro-HD connected to the 350's component out, as my backup device (for Slingcatcher etc) and it works fine.

Kamakzie Newbie

This is probably a lot to ask of you, but is there anyway you could take a screenshot of the video quality of both so I could compare?

lolento Newbie

That is a very good question!

You really can only see the difference in picture quality via the web browser player.  Even then, the picture quality difference is VERY VERY minute.

I use the slingbox primarily on my android phone and on my android tablet.  My wife also has the iPhone 5.  If you use your slingbox on these devices, you will not notice a difference between the 350 and the Pro-HD (I currently own the 500 and the Pro-HD).

When you buy the 350 though, you will lose a lot of Advanced User features such as manually setting the network port for the slingbox to listen to (useful for bypassing firewalls), loading custom remote control bins (if your STB is not supported by Slingbox), adjusting stream picture and sound (brightness, contrast, saturation, volume).  These features are no long supported on the 350.

Furthermore, while the 350 supports HD over component (I'm still questioning 1080p, see my other thread), it does not support HD audio.  Pro-HD has a coax port that support HD audio.  This is useful because some STB only allow you to pick one kind of audio output, if you pick stereo then you cannot have HD audio.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Besides the increased smoothness, which seems most noticeable with the Windows web player and the WDTV Slingplayer (I've not tried other connected devices) I also noticed a much better picture on the SQ setting on my iPhone for the 350 when compared with the Pro-HD. This was particularly useful the other week when I was in a pub with less than optimal 3G and wanted to keep an eye on a football match.

In terms of the smoothness I mention above, what I perceive is that whereas the Pro-HD deals with fluctuations in bandwidth by skipping frames, the 350 seems to deal with it more by making the picture slightly blockier for a short time. I find this far more agreeable to my eyes as it means the stream better retains its smoothness and doesn't judder as much as my bandwidth ebbs and flows.

All in all these are quite subtle improvements and I admit I'm a bit of a geek about these things (I have both a 350 and Pro-HD connected and have been doing a lot of comparing with various devices) so for me it's been a worthwhile upgrade - others such as lolento above obviously don't see such improvements as significant enough for upgrading, especially in light of what else the box can't do, and that's fair enough, each to his own