3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2012 7:34 AM by acrftr RSS

Windows 8 for the Slingbox 350

acrftr

What is Slingbox doing about Windows 8?   I am getting unclear messages as to when or even if my computer will be able to function - I would be ahppy to use either the browser plug-in or an installed app.   The "legacy" dektop application indicates that it is no longer supported.   I tried it anyway and it told me that it would not work in Windows 8.   Somewhere I saw that a sling-app within Facbook might work...

So what's the plan?   Is Slingbox headed for the exits?

• Re: Windows 8 for the Slingbox 350
          Kamakzie Newbie

Legacy still works for me in Windows 8 with the old Slingbox Pro-HD.

acrftr

Strange that I am answering my own question - and that Slingbox support did not seem to know this - but I am getting my Slingbox 350 to work using the Facebook App.   This suggests pretty clearly that this is a basic software issue with the plug-in app that we are supposed to use and that with a little development work a more straight-forward way to use the 350 with Windows 8 should be possible.   But when?   How can this be a big issue if the Facebook apps works?

acrftr

http://slingplayer.slingbox.com/embedded/slingplayer.php

This is a link to the embedded Slingplayer - this seems to work fine using Internet Explorer on the "Desktop side" of Windows 8.   It did not work for me using the "Metro" side.   While I am pleased that I can get my new slingbox to work - I do not understand why Sling Support seems to be unaware of this work-around.   It is a work-around as the embedded player does not have all of the features of the "plug-in" viewer that the documentation talks about; there is no sling channel guide (or I havent found it yet but it works.   Hopefully Sling will ultimately get around to fixing this issue, will make it clearer on the box and in the advertsing that there are issues with Windows 8, etc.