9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2013 9:34 PM by soul45man RSS

Networking for the 500 using wifi

eddievega

using the on screen setup for wifi and the onscreen sees the network and I put the password and nothing.  I have added the mac to the allowed list for wifi connection already.  The network light does not come on on the slingbox at all although it sees the network on the on screen instructions for setup.  What should I do?

• Re: Networking for the 500 using wifi
          jesse.sling Novice

Hey eddievega,

Try hard resetting the Slingbox. If this doesn't bring up a network light, try connecting it directly to the router to see if you are able to get a network light on the Slingbox. If you are able to get a network light when connected directly to the router, it may mean that the Wi-Fi signal isn't strong enough. Here is an article that explains how to hard reset the Slingbox. How to reset your Slingbox to factory settings. I hope this helps!

Sling Media Forum Moderation Team

soul45man

I'm getting the exact same issue.

I just got the slingbox 500 for christmas. Unfortunatelly the tv is downstairs and the cable modem/router is upstairs. So when i hook up the slingbox 500 downstairs, i have it look for wi-fi networks and it see's my network with 2/3 bars or 3/3 bars (never does it go to 1/3 bars). So i don't think the signal is the issue as also i use the xbox wirelessly there, as well as a windows phone downstairs and both connect flawlessly. (mind you the xbox is using 802.11G not N so less signal strength)

Anways after talking to your tech support to see what's the deal, i got through all the steps or resetting the units and then finally just bringing up the unit to my router upstairs and setting it up online.  I did that and it connects wired, but when i went back downstairs, still the same issue, but most of the errors is cannot connect to the network, a few times the errors were this:

connection to network failed
              we were unable to obtain an ip address.

you must have a DHCP server on your network.

please try again or choose another network.

I went to the store to swap out the unit as what next to try.  I'm still getting the same issue, i made sure the mac address was entered in, double checked that a few times. did a slingbox hard reset. On the 2nd unit, though, i always got the DHCP error.  I removed the mac address requirements, nothing. i removed the network security, nothing. I Unchecked the upnp, nothing.  I just don't understand why the slingbox doesn't want to get connected to my wireless router.

The router i'm using is the Netgear WNR3500, had it for probably 4-5+ years now. I've connected many devies since then with mac address filteres and not much else to change on the router, recently i've added a nintendo 3dsxl and a new windows phone with just the mac address change.

Any help would be nice. I'm about to almost give up, just really want this so i can watch my tv on my computer while my kids or wife is on the tv. (running dual screen is freaking sweet.)

eddievega

I am having all the same answers and getting tired and frustrated!  The fact that tech support has no answers is ridiculous.  I am in the tech world and not able to connect.  Had a higher level person who is a friend help and no luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scott710 Newbie

In order to get WiFi working on the 500 you must start from a full reset of the 500.  If you plug into Ethernet, you must full reset in order for the wired connection to take effect instead of WiFi. Just plugging Ethernet cable in and out will not have any effect unless you reset the 500.  This is not clear in the instructions and has been noted in earlier threads.  Also, there may be a mismatch between your router and the 500 that cannot resolve into a connection.  Consider swapping out the router, even tho it WiFi's fine with other devices.  My provider does this for free.

soul45man

I've done the hard reset many times downstairs to try to connect it wirelessly. Was a no go. I did the hard reset upstairs when i hard wired it to the router, that's when it connected fine. The rep asked me to not reset it when i brought it downstairs so i would keep it's settings. No change, so that's when i changed it out at the store.

That's probably my final step is to change out my wireless router, but it's practically $100-150 for the good ones, to try to have tv streaming with slinbox, cause i know the cheap $50 ones won't be good enough. Is there any units that people do use the slingbox 500 with wireless that do really well, they can recommend?

lastly, what do you mean your provider does the router swap for free? Of course mine is out of warranty, as most are 1 or 2 years, but wondering what you mean by that.

scott710 Newbie

My ISP is Time Warner (NY).  They provide my two boxes, a cable box (one box) and modem/router (now in one box) as part of the cable service.  If any of their components don't work properly, I can and do exchange them for another unit, no questions.  Not really free as the components are part of the monthly fee.  However, one can substitute their own hardware but it won't be supported, of course, even if it works.  Netgear is very reliable in my experience - even the low end models. 

I have seen Time Warner (in CA) do very poorly with WiFi using just computers for devices.  TW would not do anything to fix the on going issue and resetting the router daily was required in order to get Wi Fi to function when it failed, regardless of the device or router.  You might try unplugging everything connected to the internet for a day or so to see if that will force a purge of your IP from your provider's router table (or just ask them for a new IP).  Then you will get a new IP when you appear back on the network.  Sometimes that works.

My 500 has worked flawlessly, WiFi or not.  Instructions are dated, though but this forum is pretty good.  I do not use Port Forwarding or MAC address for the 500.

soul45man

Well i   just got the linksys N900, and re added every device in my house with no problem. Wifes cell phone, 2 seperate 3dd's, xbox, wiiU,  and phillips smart tv. Still the slingbox won't connect to the new router.  The error is cannot connect to the network.  That's it.  It has 2 bands, 2.4 ghz one and 5gz one, i tried both many times. I just don't get it!

scott710 Newbie

I should mention that my 500 will display a connection error when wired using HDMI.  Setup using component cabling worked quickly and reliably.  The error may be coming from the ISP so you cannot circumvent the copy protection provided by HDMI.  If you are attempting HDMI connection then I suggest you abandon that and try component cabling, instead.  Otherwise, I am out of ideas for you.  See http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000507.html

The suggested wiring of both HDMI and component did not work for me - I suspect again the ISP interfering with the 'placesetting' (Slingbox function) applicable to HDMI only.

soul45man

This issue isn't affected with hdmi, but i know what your saying. the videos and the manual actually say to hook both up, to avoid the HDMI issue for viewing channels that are protected. This issue is just 1 thing, connecting with the wireless router.  I got good news though, not sure the exact fix, but i finally got it to connect to the router. After trying another round of tech support with slingbox, unforunately there wasn't one, they pointed to the router as the problem.I spoke to linksys tech support to see what they say. Didn't go much there either, so it started to look like finger pointing, (which ****** me off. ther's gotta be a better way to deal with these issues that involve multiple companies products) but they at least made sure i had the router with UpNP on, which with not just option on this router, it was a few. thier attempts didn't change much on what i already knew. So after they mentioned to check the mac address part, i told them i had it on to only allow the ones i input. I said i'll just try again to turn it off and see what happenes. *faceplant* the thing connects and is starting to update and connect and the thing is running like a champ. So the moral of the story is upgrade if you have old hardware (cause i did turn off the mac address filtering on that before) and turn off everything when all else fails.  I still don't like the pointing fingers, it doesn't help the frustrated customer at all, and almost lost you one here if this fix didn't come in.  I was at the brink of returning this product and just getting a receiver i needed for multiple HDMI ports.