8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2013 9:35 PM by mel_g RSS

Slingbox support for Windows RT

melg

Are there plans for a stand alone player for the new Microsoft Surface? I just tried to install the plug in and it failed. Support for your wonderful products would great on my new tablet. 

• Re: Slingbox support for Windows RT
          Herber00

I too am worried that there may not be support for windows RT, or for that matter for the X-Box 360.  Slingbox has not commented on any of the forums about their intentions with respect to these operating systems.  I hope they don't treat it like they do Linux (exclude support).

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello melg,

Thank you for using our answers forum. That's a great question. As of right now, windows RT is not supported. There is not an ETA on when it will be supported, however it is at high demand by many customers so I think it is safe to say that it will in the near future, be supported. There actually is a way for it to work with Windows RT without using the SlingPlayer application. If you google SlingPlayer for Windows RT, there is a youtube video that shows you how to get it working. Below is a link that will show you all of the current supported mobile devices. Any new supported mobile devices will be added to this when they are released.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

RedScare

Please Note: Using the embedded player to watch a Slingbox through the browser, as described in the youtube video you are recommending, no longer works. Trying to do so results in a "No Video Signal" error. There is a very long thread about this on the forum.

https://community.sling.com/message/85466#85466

mel_g

Thanks for your reply Tyler. I have been able get the embedded player to work, so thanks for that as well. Redscare, I have noticed that the embedded player only works from the desktop IE; it fails to connect if you use the 'metro' version. I am really looking forward to the official app as that will enable a better multitasking experience (I hope).

RedScare

I don't see how this is working for you, even in the desktop browser. I've attached a screenshot of the error I, and everyone I know, gets with Windows RT. Some questions: You are using Windows RT, and not Windows 8 Pro, correct? Are you using this link? http://slingplayer.slingbox.com/embedded/slingplayer.php What kind of SlingBox do you have?

Tyler.Sling Novice

Hello RedScare,

Thank you for replying to the post. The video I referred to can work. The embedded SlingPlayer is no longer supported, it is known to have problems. Using this for Windows RT can work, but you are correct, it does have some issues. However, I have only used this video for the Surface RT, and it has worked every time I have tried. Like I said, the embedded SlingPlayer is not supported, so it can sometimes have issues. However, this is just something that can work for now until Windows RT is supported and there is a SlingPlayer application for it.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

RedScare

Hi Tyler. Thanks for posting and trying to help us out.

I'm a long-time Slingbox user, and I've spent a great deal of time battling this since I bought my Surface last year.

The video you referred to discusses a work-around to enable the embedded slingplayer to work as of 11/2012. Yes, this did work last year, but it does not work now. Somewhere in the last few months, one of the many firmware updates we've gotten for WinRT broke support for the embedded player, which was the only avenue to use a Slingbox with a WinRT device like Surface.

Incidentally, the "work-around" in that video (which involved a registry setting) is no longer necessary at all. When Surface RT was first released, sling was not included in the Flash Whitelist in WinRT, and that work-around solved that. As of today, the Whitelist no longer exists and it isn't necessary to hack the registry to add a domain like it was back in November. We can hit the embedded page with no hacks required, it simply doesn't work.

As of today, since the embedded player does not work, there is no way to view Sling content via WinRT. If you can point me towards some way that does (in lieu of the hopefully upcoming app) I'd love to hear it. You say it "can" work, but I would respectively dissagree.

I really do appreciate your help. Please don't misconstrue my passion about this as anger (it's not). I used my Slingbox nearly everyday for several months after first buying my Surface, and now the innability to do so is incredibly frustrating.

mel_g

I am using a slingbox 500 and a fully updated Surface RT using the same url. You are right about the whitelist for flash sites not being used anymore, but I I still have that registry change for that.I'm not sure what else could be different.