5 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2010 9:03 PM by halobiont RSS

Will this work?

halobiont

Hi,

I want to be able to watch television in my vacation home.

At home #1 I have AT&T Uverse.  My router is not in the same room as the AT&T box.

I'm thinking of setting up a slingbox hd pro with sling link at the box.

At home #2 I was thinking of hooking up a tv with slingcatcher.

The tv on the other end is not near the router.  Will I need another sling link?

Any other ideas?  Problems with Uverse?

Thanks,

Doug

• Re: Will this work?
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Doug,

I want to be able to watch television in my vacation home.

At home #1 I have AT&T Uverse.  My router is not in the same room as the AT&T box.

I'm thinking of setting up a slingbox hd pro with sling link at the box.

That should work.

At home #2 I was thinking of hooking up a tv with slingcatcher.

The tv on the other end is not near the router.  Will I need another sling link?

That should work too.  If an ethernet cable run isn't practical, then you would need slinglinks or some other way to connect the Catcher to the router.  I have a wireless bridge set up at my house (router downstairs, slingbox upstairs) and it works reliably.  Took some patient reading and effort to get it up and running though.  Slinglinks are usually much easier to deal with.

Any other ideas?  Problems with Uverse?

It's pretty easy to set things up the way you have outlined.  However to avoid an unpleasant surprise, I suggest you allow time to put the entire system through a good operational test before you leave for your vacation home.  Do this in two steps:

- Set everything up and try to sling in and watch from both your computer and the Catcher at home.

- Once you've verified in-home operation, take a pair of slinglinks and the Catcher somewhere outside your home to make sure remote viewing over the internet works.  A friend or neighbor's house is fine, any place with broadband internet and temporary physical access to the router.  No configuration changes should be required on the router at the test location.  Using a computer to verify remote viewing ought to be enough, but since you're planning to watch the Catcher on vacation, makes sense to verify that.  If it is not too much hassle, I think it's a good idea.

I wouldn't expect any problems with Uverse, but configuring your home router to allow remote viewing to work might require a little more effort.  If you have a 2Wire RG, this link may be useful when the time comes:

http://support.2wire.com/?page=view&article=151&text=sling%20box&cat=&sort=

Hope this helps, and safe travels !

- Az