54 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2013 12:15 AM by sss_leung RSS

Player for Windows RT

alexyak

Just got my Surface RT and would really love to have a Slingplayer that runs on Windows RT.

• Re: Player for Windows RT
          marcelof

+1

mherron75

So would I!

alexyak

Also there's an option to enable SlingPlayer app on the Facebook website. Could you guys make sure that the site white listed. This will enable your flash based player in the IE on Windows RT. Here's some info on how to do it:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/jj193557.aspx

slugabug

Me too!  I tried it through both the newwatch slingbox site and facebook: neither works.

scottstubberfield

I would also like to know if there are any plans to support Windows RT with some type of sling player. I think this would be a great addition to a great device.

dlpowers

I also have a Surface and would like to have a player

smnorton

+1

alexyak

This is how you can temporary enable the flash based SlingPlayer in the desktop browser on your Windows RT device:

1. Go to start screen and type regedit and start the app.

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\  and create a new key Flash and then add string value:

"DebugDomain"="slingplayer.slingbox.com"

It should enable slingplayer in the facebook or you can go directly to

http://slingplayer.slingbox.com/embedded/slingplayer.php

I am also attaching the reg file which you can also use to make the same registry settings.

slugabug

Thank you so much, Alex! This fantastic! You really made my day with this solution.  Now if we could get HboGo.com and Amazon Video working, my favorites will be covered!

Thanks again!

dlpowers

This won't work for me.  It says my SlingboxPro is an incompatible device.   Any suggestions.?

Thanks

PRAMODRAM

Thanks for sharing this trick.

Having searched the web without much success, it took few non-obvious steps/searches before I could land here. Slingplayer support should consider publishing this workaround that is easy to search - possibly as a Knowledge Base article OR an entry in the FAQ.

mskovrinskie

Can a developer from the Slingbox team submit a request to Microsoft to have this site whitelisted so this is automatic?

From: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/jj193557(v=vs.85).aspx

Submitting your site for consideration

Developers can submit their sites that they want to be included on the CV list to Microsoft via email.

To submit your site for consideration to the CV list, email iepo@microsoft.com and include the following details:

1. Your name, company, title, and contact information
                                      2. The domain you want considered (http://contoso.com/) and the specific pages containing Flash content ( http://contoso.com/video, http://contoso.com/media)
                                      3. The approximate unique users per month that visit the domain
                                      4. The capabilities your Flash content requires. For more info see Guidelines for Flash Content in Internet Explorer 10 in this topic.
                                      5. The name and version of the SWF your site is using, including version number for third party .SWF files if appropriate (for example, videoplayer.swf v1.2 from Contoso)
                                      6. A list of any other plugs-ins (not Flash) your domain depends on and the specific pages containing those controls. Be aware that if your site depends on other plug-ins, users will be directed to open your site in Internet Explorer 10 for the desktop.
                                      7. The results of your testing of the pages listed in step two (2) of these steps. For more info see Test Guidance and Test Cases in this topic.
                                      rbeste

I was able to get this to work using the embedded player without the registry entry using the browser on the desktop but it only appears to work when i'm on the same network.  In other words, when I am using the house wireless Slingbox sees me as 'local' and connects great.  But, when I disconnect from the local wireless and instead do an internet share on my 4G LTE phone, it logs in and I see my slingbox listed but the icon is yellow and when i try to connect it always comes back with 'Error - unable to connect to Slingbox.  Please check that your box is on and connected to the network.'.  I know it's on and connected since if i put the wireless back to the home wireless it works again and if i connect to it using the slingplayer on my windows 7.5 phone it works great there too.  It seems that connecting over the phone's internet sharing service might be the issue? it's as if there is a port issue going through that connection maybe?  Any suggestions of how to troubleshoot this?

UPDATE 11/16

Got this working by properly configuring port forwarding on  my router.  Now works great in desktop and metro internet explorer using embedded player.  No app needed with how well this works...

br51era

i have the same problem, works on the home network but get the orange light when trying from any different network.

have the put forwarding setup, 5001 did you do anything different?

I can access the slingbox via the app in my phone so its just on the surface.

rbeste

i was toldby support that even though it may work using the slingplayerapp(which it did on my phone too), the embedded player is more particular that port forwarding be properly setup. once i went through the port forwarding process again on my router, i was able to get in using the embedded player on the surface.  I'd suggest going through support.  I ended up not needing them but they were ready to connect remotely to help configure the port forwaring rules if i was unable to do it myself.

br51era

OK will give a try. Cheers

update: i added the ip and it now works on the surface and my phone via 3g

suprdrag2

Hi, can you be specific as to how you set up the port forwarding here? I had this working perfect after setting up port forwarding on the network of where the slingbox is set up while I was on the same network as the slingbox last week, however now that my Surface is not on the same network as the actual slingbox, I'm getting the "We're sorry, but your current web browser, operating system, or the combination of both is not currently supported by the SlingPlayer plug-in. Please click here for more information." message.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give.

br51era

I have a BT router, added the slingbox as an application and assigned the internal IP that's how it worked.

So try the same on your router.

suprdrag2

Thanks, unfortunately I need to send instructions to a family member where the slingbox exists as I'm remote for the next many months so can't just try myself.

When you say internal ip address, did you just add the actual slingbox's public ip address, as it shows on this page http://support-worldwide.slingbox.com/go/home (when you're logged in)?  I think when I had set it up on the router when i had it working while my surface was on the same network as the slingbox, I screwed up and added the slingbox's private ip address instead of the public one, which would explain why it was working when on the same network as the slingbox and why i can't access now that my surface is accesing remotely from a different wireless network.

Thanks again in advance!!!!

br51era

I've added the private ip to allow port forwarding and it works so that is correct so something else must be wrong.

Can you connect via a different device to check it works?

suprdrag2

Well I've always been able to access the slingbox from other computers and devices from outside the network of where the slingbox exists and still can even after I had made those changes.  For example, right now I'm watching on the slingplayer app on my boxee box. I also can still access via watch.slingbox.com from my windows 7 PCs. I just can't access still from my Surface RT, even when in desktop mode. So you're using  a Surface RT and are able to stream to it via your Slingbox when on a different wireless network than the Slingbox?

I tried contacting Sling support and they refused to assist me. They're insisting that it's my Surface since they don't support RT. When I told them there's no way it could be the Surface since I did have it working when I was on the same internal network as the Slingbox, they responded by saying that since they don't support RT they have no idea why it would work on the internal network and and said they wouldnt assist me further since they don't support RT. It has to be some setting in the router is my thinking ...

suprdrag2

I should also mention that when I go to the http://slingplayer.slingbox.com/embedded/slingplayer.php URL, I actually get my slingbox showing up in the directory. It's when I select it that it goes to "Connecting" followed by the, "Unable to connect to slingbox. Please check that your slingbox is ON and is connected to the network" message. Really odd!!

br51era

I got the same message till I added the private IP to the port forwrading list so something must not be setup right on the router.  If you can get screenshots of the settings it might help figure out what is wrong.

suprdrag2

Odd because I don't get the message when accessing the http://slingplayer.slingbox.com/embedded/slingplayer.php URL from any of my Windows 7 machines -- only with my Surface am I getting it. I don't have screen shots of the router set up since I'm not anywhere near the home where the Slingbox is connected, but when I go to http://support.slingbox.com/go/home and am logged in, I can see the following listed:

Slingbox Private IP Address: 192.168.1.254

Slingbox Port: 5001

Those I had set up at the router level and appears to be set up properly. I'm more and more thinking it's an issue w/ the Surface and am considering doing a complete reset to factory settings in the Surface. I've also tried accessing the link from my wife's Surface account and the guest Surface account with same error message, so it's almost like there's something not set right in IE 10 of the Surface.

I really wish someone from Slingbox Support would jump in and help advise here. I've been on 2 separate support chats with them -- over an hour each time -- to no avail.

joltcoder

I saw a post by the moderator, Matt, where he states that the new version of "Windows Phone SlingPlayer works with Windows 8"; Is that a typo? Did he mean to say "... works with Windows Phone 8"? I see no way to install this on my Windows 8 RT tablet...

franksoto

Would love to see RT support as well. I have a Dell XPS 10.

rbeste

RT IS supported!  I use it all the time and it works great without app.  Remember, it is the iPad that got the world thinking that everything needs an app since nothing works natively with that device and it NEEDS an app to do anything.  Just run it in the browser and it works great.

Thanks,

Ray Beste

Sikich

331-457-2937

br51era

I've now get the message "no video signal" even though I know the remote is turning on the setup box.

Works on every other device I own except the RT, anyone else have this problem or have an idea how to solve it.

billarnaiz Newbie

Yes, I am also getting this using the embedded player on my RT( No Video Signal). (Solo) As you've said all remote functions work,

just no audio or video, strange... :-|

My Sling HD works fine on the Surface RT, with the ocassional frame rate halving....but remedied by a re-launch.

The Solo also works fine using the embedded player on my laptops and desktops(Win7)

Around a week ago I think MS and or Adobe pushed out a Flash upgrade and no go since. :-(

Hopefully someone here will be able to help and figure it out.

Bill

br51era

did you know which update it was, could try uninstalling it.

darline

Does anyone know if the total lack of support for the Surface RT on the Slingbox is the fault of Microsoft or Slingbox?  It has been long enough now for there to be a fix.  Both companies want us to continue to purchase their products, so they should support the users also.

Thoughts?

flot

I would say it is entirely Slingbox, Microsoft can't support every app in the world.

I suspect Slingbox don't think the user base for WINRT is big enough to worth their investment. :-(

darline

It is really a shame, but I think you may be correct.  I spoke with Microsoft this afternoon and they are prepared to work with any company.  I guess product success will steer you towards profit every time, which may have happened to Slingbox.  Maybe it is time to look into alternatives, like Belkin TV, Monsoon or others.  We may have better support there... 

kenlo75

First time checking this forum and good to see others are having the same embedded slingplayer issue I have been struggling with for several weeks. There is a recent Windows Flash update that causes the no video signal problem. The update has gone through a few revisions since early February but right now it has a reference number of KB2824670 (on the RT, not sure about Pro). Use Control Panel to navigate to Windows Update install history, click Installed Updates link, select the update with this reference number, then click uninstall. This will likely want a restart to be performed. If your Surface hangs during the shutdown with the "Preparing computer for configuration changes...Do not turn off" message, give it a minute or two then manually power down (press and hold power button). Restart your Surface and the uninstall will complete normally. Try your slingplayer link and all should be well again.

Unfortunately you are apparently also uninstalling important Flash security patches but I have found reinstalling and uninstalling this patch to have no side effects if concerned. Right now I have selected to not allow my Surface to automatically install updates and selectively choose not to install this particular update when I manually check for new updates. If you want the ability to control updates on your Surface RT you need to manually change a registry setting. Use Run command to run Regedit, search for AUOptions and change value to 2. Restart Surface RT and you are now in full control.

Hopes this helps others looking to use thier Surface/Slingbox combination but also hope the Flash issue can be resolved so we can retake the security patches at some point without breaking the connectivity. If others have found alternative solutions I would like to know about those as well.

br51era

This worked but I had to also uninstall (KB2805940) from 15/02/13.

kenlo75

Good to know. Sounds like one of the earlier revisions of the Flash update. Don't know if more revisions were published but anything after 2/1/2013 related to Flash would be suspect for this problem. Just why these updates are causing the Slingplayer to stop showing video is a strang mystery as everything else appears fine (controls work, network tests pass, etc.). Maybe a Flash expert might have a suggestion. Any Adobe techies on this forum?

slugabug

Sadly, it seems that preview release of Windows 8.1 has broken the embedded Slingplayer functionality for Surface RT.   I hope that the full release fixes it again... we'll see....

darline

I really do not think that Slingbox ever intended to support Windows/RT.  I have talked to support and am being told that there is not a "version of Slingbox that will ever work with Win/RT.  The good news is that there are other sites that does a better job than Slingbox at supporting their hardware.  Try logging onto http://slingplayer.theunwired.net,  if they can make it work, and support the hardware, then why can't Slingbox.  Afterall, they are the one who collected our money for this unsupported device.  Good luck...

slugabug

It was working perfectly before the 8.1 preview upgrade with modification of the IEcompatData.xml.  Unfortunately, the 8.1 upgrade installs Internet Explorer 11 and removes the IEcompatData.xml exception list completely

slugabug

I'm pleased (and, frankly, shocked) to report that the compatibility mode described in this article enabled the embedded SlingPlayer to work in desktop mode on my Surface RT running the 8.1 preview. I hope that they can fix this in the metro browser in the regular-release Windows 8.1 coming out this fall. Being able to watch the SlingPlayer on one side of the screen while surfing the web on the other side is one of the biggest features of the Surface tablet that the iPad and other tablets can't match .

darline

I am glad to hear that evefrything is working for you, but please do not think that the problem is due to Windows 8.1.  It is totally a Slingbox problem, and the fact that they have not tried to provide a solution.  All of the efforts so far have been accomplished by frustrated users.

slugabug

Slingplayer started working again for me on Windows 8.1 through the "Metro" browser.  Why?  I have no idea.  The only software that changed for me in the past 24 hours in the update to Windows Defender that was applied through the normal update process.  Can't explain it, but I'm not complaining

sss_leung

That site seems to just contain a simple link to this official embedded player from slingbox:  http://slingplayer.slingbox.com/embedded/slingplayer.php

That said, this link only works for SOME of the slingbox models.  My older model (Slingbox PRO) is not supported so i am still out of luck.

Why oh why...?

To slingbox - if you make an app for the Windows RT (and make it compatible with legacy Slingboxes as well), I am sure there will be customers out there who are willing to pay for it.