3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2012 6:22 AM by tcaradonna RSS

2 sling boxes, 1 ipad and it won't connect to the right box!

jeffkhoriaty

I have an older box, which my dad watches on his notebook...and I bought and installed a new one to use with my ipad. Both on the same network and both appear in the directory. My ipad connected once to the right box, and never again. I get the message that I need to upgrade to a newer Slingbox that works with iPad's!!!

So what's the solution for the Ipad to work...since I already have a box which is supposed to stream to iPads but won't?

• Re: 2 sling boxes, 1 ipad and it won't connect to the right box!
          OvCollyer Apprentice

Is this when you try and connect on the local network, or remotely? Just wondering if when you have two boxes on the same network whether it is possible for the port forwarding to collide/conflict or something?

Jkhoriaty

Remotely only. Locally worked great, however remotely worked a couple times, but then simply returns an error now....telling me to upgrade the box. I tried to 'fool it' by connecting to the legacy box by PC and simultaneously try the ipad/new box....still returns an error. Both boxes work fine through PC?...so whatever i paid for the ipad app Is a waste. Unfortunately can't try anything else at this juncture since I live in Europe and won't have physical access to either box till Christmas time!

I suspect has more to do with the ipad app being able to actually connect/differentiate between two separate boxes on same Wan IP destination...even though the two show up in the directory.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I create a separate account for the new box versus the legacy box (assuming I can)? Any other potential workaround?

Thanks

tcaradonna Novice

I would also check the ports used.  Your firewall can only broadcast 1 external ip address to the world, therefore it can port forward to only one address.  Default is 5001 on older boxes but should be 5201 on newer ones.