2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2013 6:32 PM by chakkarinen RSS

How to disable auto port forwarding

spevin

I have a verizon router and I have always had problems setting up the port forwarding to get the best quality for outside the network use. It took me a long time to figure out the best configuration for my pro-hd but I finally got it.

fast forward....

Now I also have a 350 on my network, but the new model has the advanced set up features and it automatically sets up port forwarding. Awesome feature, but it doesn't work as well as my configuration that I have.

Everytime I try to get rid of the port forwarding rule created by the slingbox...it just reappears a few minutes later. How can I make this stop!?!?

• Re: How to disable auto port forwarding
          slingsmurf Apprentice

Hi spevin,

I understand that you'd prefer to have more direct control over your router's port forwarding rules. Unfortunately, there's currently no way to manually configure port forwarding with either the Slingbox 350 or 500. This was done to make the initial configuration easier, and to also allow the Slingbox to automatically "repair" its network configuration without user intervention.

Your only option right now would be to disable UPnP on your router, which should prevent the Slingbox from creating new rules, but may also impact other devices on your network.

Hope this helps!

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

• Re: How to disable auto port forwarding
              chakkarinen Apprentice

I have read this year that many computer security experts -- and now even the US Dept of Homeland Security -- are encouraging home users to disable UPnP on their routers and other devices because of bugs in many of these devices software that makes them susceptible to break-ins, remote takeover, etc.

Similar risks have been noted for the Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) feature on most routers manufactured after 2007.  While WPS is handy for initially installing devices like WiFi printers to one's home LAN, the recommendation is that WPS be disabled on the router immediately after the new device is connected, as connections to the router from remote locations can be easily hacked if WPS is left turned on.