8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2013 9:45 PM by OvCollyer RSS

How can a Slingbox 350 stream 1080p if it only has component inputs???

dvboy

I am VERY curious as to how this device can claim to stream 1080p when its best quality inputs are component which are only capible of streaming a maximum of 720p??What am I missing?Don't see any HDMI inputs??

• Re: How can a Slingbox 350 stream 1080p if it only has component inputs???
          tcaradonna Novice

Easy.  The component specification can handle a 1080p signal.

This is a common misunderstanding of component, that it is not capable of high definition.  It most certain is!  However, since it is an analog signal(versus the digital HDMI), degradation does occur, so there is loss in transmission over long cable distances.  But anything in the normal 6ft range should be just fine.  It also has the advantage over HDMI that there is no content protection specs like HDCP.  With nearly equivalent capability, you won't be getting much different user experience with the Slingbox 500, as this makes the HDMI is somewhat of a gimmack.

• Re: How can a Slingbox 350 stream 1080p if it only has component inputs???
            lolento Newbie

Component cable can handle 1080p60.

This is a fact because it is what I'm running on my Slingbox 500 using the component input.

However, whether the Slingbox 350 can handle 1080p on component input is another story.  See my thread on the 350 AV support section.

In a nutshell, the 350 basically crashes and reboots every time I send a 1080p signal via component to it.  The Slingbox 500 handles this same signal (via component; everything the same) fine.  I tried two different 350s and the problem is the same so (although sample size is low) it ought to suggest that it wasn't a defective device.

EDIT:  The worse part of this is that if I send a 1080p signal to the old SOLO or the Pro-HD, you would simply see an onscreen message that says "No signal, You may be sending a 1080p signal" but the older generation box would not crash like the 350 does.