16 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2013 4:22 AM by Louisph Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Please help me, HDMI connection, Video is fine but no Audio

lolento Newbie

Help...I just spent an hour on the phone with Sling's Technician and she keep telling me that it is required to have the composite (red/white) audio attached in order for me to receive streaming audio when connected with HDMI.

I am only attaching unencrypted HDMI to the Slingbox 500 and the HDMI passthru from the Slingbox 500 to my receiver is showing both video and audio fine.

Please let me know what I need to do to get audio in my streams...

• Re: Please help me, HDMI connection, Video is fine but no Audio
          alanrichey42 Master

Have you 'linked' the component and HDMI inputs during the setup process ?   We are all learning about these new boxes through trial and error, but it appears that if you do link them then the system does use the RCA (Red/White) audio connectors for the sound and ignores the HDMI sound channel.   Just go back in to the setups and make sure the Component input is not configured or linked to the HDMI.

tcaradonna Novice

Basic question here:

Does the audio come thru when you plug the HDMI directly into a TV?

lolento Newbie

I don't know if that matters but the HDMI passthru from the slingbox to my receiver DOES have both Audio and Video.

I don't use any direct connection to the TV.  Everything goes thru my receiver.

Yes, when the HDMI is directly plugged into the receiver that works as well.

But the most telling observation would be (like I mentioned many times already), the HDMI passthru (the HDMI output) from the Slingbox to the receiver is fine with both Audio and Video.

JJBraccili

Here's some things to try:

1. Try a reboot. Disconnect the power cable. Wait a minute. Then plug it back in.

2. Configure the component video input. Do it even if you don't have component video. Switch to the component video input then switch back to HDMI. I had a similar problem with a Sling app on a Boxee Box and switching back and forth fixed it.

3. Do a complete system reset. That means hold the reset button in while the sling box is on. The power or network will flash once. Keep holding it till it flashes two more time in rapid succession and let the button go. You will have to reconfigure the sling box at that point. This time let it update the firmware

lolento Newbie

1. Try a reboot. Disconnect the power cable. Wait a minute. Then plug it back in.

=> This was tried, no difference.

2. Configure the component video input. Do it even if you don't have component video. Switch to the component video input then switch back to HDMI. I had a similar problem with a Sling app on a Boxee Box and switching back and forth fixed it.

=> I tried configuring component video (no video) and initially I don't see a difference, but I did not went as far as switching back and forth multiple times (did it only once).  I will do this again with my xbox360 (so with actual video) later tonight.

3. Do a complete system reset. That means hold the reset button in while the sling box is on. The power or network will flash once. Keep holding it till it flashes two more time in rapid succession and let the button go. You will have to reconfigure the sling box at that point. This time let it update the firmware

=> I was planning on doing this if the above fails.  Just FYI, I DID let it update the firmware before so this time I am not going to.

craig.sling Novice

Welcome lolento,

I would like to thank you for using the online answers forum. I see you are having a problem getting audio through your slingbox. I am sorry about this problem and would like to help. One thing I would like you to try is to go into the settings on the cable box and try to turn up the audio or optimize the audio. We see with some boxes that simply turning up the audio or optimizing the audio will cause the sound to come through the slingbox. Another thing you should check is to see if the slingbox player is muted. I know this is over looked alot due to the size of the sound bar on the bottom left hand side of the page.

Hope this helped,

Thank you,

Sling Modartaion Team

Louisph

Experiencing the same issue...

Cablebox ----HDMI----Slingbox----Receiver

5.1 surround on the receiver, no sound on Slingbox whether the Receiver is on or not...

Even tried to plug in the RCA audio from the cablebox, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to tell it to use it!

afigar

I have a SlingBox 500 and I have the same problem. I can see video on SlingPlayer for Ipad, Iphone and Mac, but no audio from the HDMI input. I have audio on the TV with HDMI but it 's not streamed. I there any problem with the router? Should I open some ports? Only If component input had also audio input, besides composite input I would be able to have two connections, my DirecTv and my WDTV Live media player. I have DirecTV connected to composite input and I's working fine (Video and audio). I have WDTV connected to HDMI input and audio doesn't get streamed. I've tried to connect WDTV to component input and I have video mixed with DirecTv audio.

Thanks for your help,