5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2013 6:45 PM by justpete RSS

Possible to use slingplayer with new 500 unit?

nickel222

I just got the 500 version and it works great on my ipad and iphone and kindle fire.

It also works via the website.

But when I try to connect with slingplayer the ID is shown but I am prompted for a PASSWORD.

I don't have one.

What gives?

Patrick

• Re: Possible to use slingplayer with new 500 unit?
          BrandonC Novice

nickel222 wrote:

I just got the 500 version and it works great on my ipad and iphone and kindle fire.

It also works via the website.

But when I try to connect with slingplayer the ID is shown but I am prompted for a PASSWORD.

I don't have one.

What gives?

Patrick

The Stand alone Slingplayer program? At this time no version of it will work with the 350 or 500. You must use the website browser.

nickel222

I have seen a lot of tumult on the Amazon web site for the 500 unit.

One of the BIG GRIPES is that the 500 has worse functionality than the HD PRO, despite some benefits that are deemed of lesser importance.

One of these is the lack of using the program.

Can it really be that hard to update the program to work with the 500?

Is there really any COMPELLING reason to not use the program standalone?

You will note on Amazon that the average rating of the 500 is much WORSE than the HD PRO.

Another gripe is that the HDMI was worthless.

How many people need to complain about the lack of use for the slingplayer? I can compile a list on Amazon.

Problems with the rating for the 500 on Amazon deter potential buyers, possibly reducing your revenues by hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Patrick

alanrichey42 Master

Sling have made the new boxes incompatible with the standalone Slingplayer I'm afraid.  Nothing we can do.

nickel222

Why not recode the application? If the company can get people to pay $15 for slingviewing for each ipad,iphone,android by building those programs, they could easily build and charge for a new slingplayer.

There’s little that time and effort can’t fix.

Nearly nothing is impossible.

IF you look at Amazon’s low low rating for the 500 over the HD Pro, you will note a big complaint about lack of use of slingplayer.

Another is that HDMI use was worthless == especially since it was purported to be a big deal on the Amazon page.

Patrick

justpete

I just bought a 500.  I'm returning it tomorrow and purchasing an HD Pro, so I can stream locally (among other things) instead.

And yes, the HDMI is worthless because my STB will not stream to both HDMI and composite at the same time.  So, I have to use composite and split it.