5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2012 7:44 PM by doitt2 RSS

Multiple Users Question

derekstl

So I am looking into getting a Slingbox and I have a few questions. First, if my wife is at home watching TV and I am traveling and want to use the slingbox app on my phone, will that work while she is using it? Will I only be able to watch what she is watching, or can I watch anything?

Along the same lines, if we are both traveling and we both want to watch different shows, can we both use our own iphone apps and watch two different shows at the same time?

Please let me know, thanks guys.

• Re: Multiple Users Question
          doitt2 Newbie

One can watch TV and the other can view via slingbox.  Both must watch the same channel, though either can change the channel (that give you something to fight over).

Once a second client connects to the slingbox, it will prompt the new client to disconnect the active user.  So no, two people can use the same slingbox with different clients.  So two traveling people need two slingboxes.  You could probably daisy chain the two slingboxes and connect to the same cable box, but you will both be watching the same channel.

So two concurrent slingbox clients need two slingboxes and two cable boxes to be completely independent and view different channels.

derekstl

Ok,thanks for the answer. So continuing on, lets say I have dish network and I have one receiver that feeds three tvs: the main one, one in the basement, and one in the bedroom. If my wife is watching tv on the main one, could I watch via sling player something else? It would almost be like using the downstairs tv. The reason I ask is that there is only one receiver to hook up to

rogersherrard

I wish I read this before buying the Slingbox 500. I specifically asked the salesperson at Fry's if both of my daughters, who are away at school, could use the Slingbox at the same time to watch shows. I was told that was no problem. Also, it never occured to me that you would have to watch the same thing at home as whoever is watching on the sling box. Basically, Slingbox would be great if you were single and living alone. I'm returning mine tomorrow.

doitt2 Newbie

In this case, you could write the following off in your mind as part of college costs.  You would need to rent/buy two additional cable boxes, in additional to the cable box you already have connected to your TV, and two slingboxes, so each slingbox would control its own cable box.  In this scenario, there is no need to run output to a TV or AVR from either additional slingbox, since the primary output of interest is Internet-directed.  It might be less expensive for you than paying for two cable bills at school, unless of course you are having them pay their own cable bill with their own money.