13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 8:55 AM by andrermf RSS

New slingbox 500 framerate?

cloneman Newbie

Hi,

What are the maximum framerates that the sling 500 will deliver?

I assume 1080p is 30fps? Is there a 720p 60fps option?

which Display mode delivers the most fluid picture?

thanks

• Re: New slingbox 500 framerate?
          Apprentice

Hello cloneman,

Interesting question! Your assumptions are correct, except 1080p equals 24fps. Below are some informational links that will help you decide what Slingbox is best for you:

Hope this helps!

The Sling Moderation Team

smallenterprise

Hi Archie34,

Can you please expand on your answer?

Are you saying that the Slingbox 500 is limited to transmitting 1080p resolution at 24 fps?

And when you say 24 fps -- do you really mean the broadcast standard of 23.976 fps?

If so, how does the Slingbox deal with standard broadcast content that is delivered at 1080i / 59.94 fps?

This is the framerate the vast majority of content providers and rebroadcasters  use.

I kind of doubt the Slingbox is capable of Reverse Telecine.

And, even if it was, there's tons of video originated content that would not react well to Reverse Telecine.

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, the links you provided cloneman do not address this questions.

Thank you.

cloneman Newbie

If I use FRAPS on my Slingbox Pro HD, it reads 30FPS, so my assumption is that the 720p60 or 1080i 60fields is reduced to 720p30 or simlar.

Although this is adequate, it would be nice to have a 720p60 option for High Motion Broadcasts like sports. Or, having some method of pushing out 1080i 60 fields  when the web player is connected to a supported TV by HDMI.

smallenterprise

That makes sense cloneman.

Skipping every other progressive frame in 720p/60 (which is actually 720p/59.94 in NTSC) -- is certainly a more 'economical' way for Slingbox to deal with that profile.

And many consumer devices 'unify' the two adjacent fields in 1080i/59.94 -- and treat them as a single 1080p/29.97 progressive frame.  Although that technique can degrade image quality when the source material consists of temporally different fields (adjacent fields not happening in the same time domain) -- and it can also substantially increase the workload of an encoder chip. 

It will be very interesting to learn from Archie34 exactly which profiles the Slingbox 500 ingests.

1080i/59.94 is the most common broadcast delivery profile -- and 1080p/29.97 is simply the progressive version of that framerate.  While companies like DirecTV do broadcast some movies as 1080p/24 (which is really 23.976 in NTSC).

I have two basic questions:

1.  Does 1080 HD video ingested by the Slingbox 500 at its HDMI port remain at its native frame rate?.  In other words, does the Slingbox 500 ingest video without performing framerate conversions?

2.  Is the HDMI port on the Slingbox 500 capable of ingesting (and not framerate converting) the following 1080 profiles?

1080i/59.94

1080p/29.97

1080p/23.976

Archie34, can you please comment on these two questions?

Thank you.

smallenterprise

Archie34,

It's been over a month.

Can you please provide the requested information.

Thanks.

smallenterprise

Archie 34,

Just wanted to thank you for your wonderful support.   </sarcasm>

Over the past two months -- I have politely asked you the same question 4 (four) times.

And you still can't take 2 minutes out of your very busy day to supply an answer -- or even show me the respect to say "I'm sorry ... I don't know".

Keep up the great work.  </sarcasm>

It's no wonder Slingbox is doing so badly.

cloneman Newbie

Hi guys,

I just upgraded to a slingbox 500 and indeed it does 60fps (100% sure). Image quality is improved as well.

I'm a bit disappointed with the audio bitrate, sounds meh to me, definitely could be better since I'm using a HDMI source.

if you set the Web player to Best/HD it runs at 60fps, if you set it to Best it runs at 30fps. So it would appear 350/500 unofficially support 60fps, even though sling's own support staff is unware.

it should be noted, I sometimes gave an issue sustaining 60fps over the web, but I think it runs better locally, need to do more testing. Of course, the android/iOS player is not 60fps (and it shouldn't be...)

So far my experience has been mostly positive, as the sling500 has better image quality, potentially 60fps in ideal conditions, and 30fps is pretty stable.

I think I'm having connection issues because sometimes sling seems to router traffic to amazon AWS or switch between TCP and UDP which is what is affecting my stability. Sling should really give us more control on this so we can troubleshoot.

OvCollyer Apprentice

I discovered how to make it stream at 50/60fps at other quality settings.

I found that if I set my source (Sky+ HD in the UK) to 720p output then my 350 streams at 50fps for players that support it, at all quality settings.

If I revert to 1080i it's back to 25fps.

60fps is way smoother, like watching regular TV.

Setting to a quality setting that equates to 640 x 480 with the source 720p is a great compromise.

andrermf Newbie

Ovcoyller

do you get this in the webplayre or WDTV?

Thanks

OvCollyer Apprentice

WDTV, Google TV, Mac Webplayer and iOS devices all 50fps since I switched the source to 720p.

There is nowhere on iOS showing fps but it's smoother and using more bandwidth so must be 50fps.

Slingbox 350.

andrermf Newbie

Thanks. Will test this

Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 06:40:47 -0800

To: andrermf@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: - New slingbox 500 framerate?

Slingbox Answers Forum

New slingbox 500 framerate?

reply from OvCollyer in General Slingbox 500 Questions - View the full discussion

WDTV, Google TV, Mac Webplayer and iOS devices all 50fps since I switched the source to 720p. There is nowhere on iOS showing fps but it's smoother and using more bandwidth so must be 50fps. Slingbox 350.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in General Slingbox 500 Questions at Slingbox Answers Forum