9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2012 9:37 PM by Mattbox23 RSS

Can't Setup a new 350.

Mattbox23

Just bought a Slingbox 350, took it home, plugged it in, the network light comes on fully, my router sees the Slingbox, but 1) I have a PowerPC Mac G5 Quad Core 10.5.8 OSX and Slingbox's level of flash is beyond my browsers capability killing my chances of setting it up at home, 2) I tried logging into my account on Slingbox.com earlier today from a Mac that DOES have the most up to date browser/flash plug-in and Slingbox still could not recognize if my box was there, 3) I bought the ipad app and was not able to setup my Slingbox through the app because that feature isnt available, and since ipad doesn't support flash I cannot try to circumvent that newer browser issue to setup my 350 because slingbox wants to push me to the mobile app when I click on the "watch" tab. This is extremely frustrating to say the least. From my point of view, the way to go about discovering your Slingbox ID is completely backwards and severly flawed for a general customer base. What's the point of having a serial number on the bottom of the device? Why can't that be a sufficient unique connect? Grrr!!!!

I am writing because 1) I think that maybe I could do a port forwarding through my D-Link DIR-601 router to perhaps solve this issue of my Slingbox not being discovered from a remote computer, or 2) have a friend come over with a more up-to-date browser at the earliest of his convenience to go around this frusrating setup process. I need help badly and I feel like I'm going in circles trying to overly setup what should be a relatively painless process. I tried calling tech support during the hours and I just stayed on hold waiting for over 45 minutes. Help please!!!!

• Re: Can't Setup a new 350.
          skarnuli

How did you discover your Sling ID? I'm still stuck on that step.

Thank you

gmoney Newbie

As per the Slingbox 350 box, PPC Macs are not supported.

Do you have an Intel-based Mac or a Windows Vista computer or better?

[BTW, with the new Slingbox devices, there's no need to know the Slingbox ID anymore...]

Mattbox23

Well, I don't want to watch Slingbox on my PPC Mac G5 computer at all. I just want to setup up my box. I have an iPad app and a work related computer to watch on. No, I have not found my Slingbox ID yet, because Slingbox's setup is so backwards that you have to go online for it and I can't setup from my work where I have a Mountain Lion OS Mac. I need help with setting up to find my ID outside of my network. My router sees the Slingbox 350 just fine and I know the IP address for the Slingbox 350 too. I just don't know how to set it up 1) either normally or 2) port forwarding/IP custom assign because Slingbox thought it was a good idea to do it online in their befuddling mandatory new browser constrictions. Need help still!

gmoney Newbie

As for Port Forwarding, if you have UPnP or NAT-PMP enabled on your router, the Slingbox itself will automatically set that up.

Internet or phone or tablet-based setup is a nice enhancement request, and I totally understand that you don't want to connect to this Slingbox via your PPC Mac, but you're going to have to configure it using some computer before you can connect to it remotely.

Only a computer with a web browser allows you to configure the Provider, the Lineup for the Guide, the device control and the most important step so that you can access it remotely: associate your 350 with a particular Sling Account.

That Sling Account association is done when the Web Player software finds the Slingbox 350 on your local network and adds it in your account.  There is no way around that step.

If you can take the 350 to your office and perform that step, you can take it home and like I've pointed out, it should then be accessible remotely by logging into that Sling Account from any supported Player.

But there is no way around that step.

Sorry.

Mattbox23

Ok thanks for your response. Clearly that is a big pitfall in this otherwise awesome technology. Flash is such an awful technology that anchoring to it the way Slingbox has done clearly is the easy way out for them, with customers holding the bag. I'll call my buddy and have him bring over his Windows Vista laptop and we'll see if I can set this thing up. I'll report back when I can tug him away from his busy schedule.

I checked my UPnP in my router too and its checked to YES. Somehow when I log on remotely it does not recognize my slingbox in my network.

gmoney Newbie

Well, our web software's need for Flash is going away...

As for minimum browser support, that's a hard nut to crack...  We can't fix all of the issues with Safari 5.0.x and IE 7 (and older) and we can only support Intel Macs for other reasons.

But that's my point: you have no way of seeing the Slingbox remotely, because you've not added it your Sling Account.  The Slingbox 500 has an onscreen setup that eliminates the need for a computer, and we're looking into tablet-based setup, but until then, like the box says, you have to have a computer.

Sorry for the problems...  I'm sure you''ll figure it out.