21 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2012 2:40 PM by lolento RSS

Observations with Audio/Video

JJBraccili

Here are a few observations:

1. The only way to get audio is to use the 2 RCA jacks (the red & white connectors) on the back of the slingbox 500. It does not use the audio on the HDMI connector. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it even passes the audio through the hdmi connector. That means if use try to use the HDMI connector on the back of the slingbox and use the pass through connector you get no sound on your TV unless you use the RCA pass through connectors. If you're hoping to use the pass through connector to pass 5.1 or 7.1 audio to a receiver, you're screwed. This make the HDMI connector useless and I don't know why they even bothered to put it on the box. Also if you're hoping to hook up another source by hooking up to the composite video connector (the yellow connector) there is no way to tie in a second audio source. Effectively you need one slingbox for each source, a majors step down from the PRO HD.

2. There is no way to set the port for the slingbox 500. In their zeal to make the setup idiot proof they removed a lot of user control. I have a non-standard router that requires me to do port forwarding and I found the port on slingbox.com under support where they list your box and its configuration. If anyone wants to know, it's port 5201. On the PRO HD it was 5001.

I wish someone one at sling would explain to me what the purpose of the HDMI port is and why they only designed this box to use one audio source.

• Re: Observations with Audio/Video
          alanrichey42 Master

I doubt you will get an answer from Sling, but I can give you my observations. 

The first one is that I think that either your Slingbox or your AV device is faulty.   I have 2 different devices plugged into my 500, a Sky box into the composite (red/white/yellow) and a Roku box into the HDMI.   These both work perfectly (although protected content on the Roku box will not display of course) with independent audio streams.  In fact, just to check your premise I removed the composite wires completely so I just had the HDMI cable plugged in.. It worked perfectly, so the HDMI does carry the audio correctly.

Secondly, personally I would be stuck without the HDMI input.  I purchased the Roku box in the UK so I could access BBC iPlayer while I am abroad (normal web access is blocked if you are not in the UK).  This device has only an HDMI output so without the HDMI input on the 500 I would be lost.

Al  

JJBraccili

I thought about what you said and I realized that I never tried setting up the HDMI without linking it to the component video. I tried that and bingo everything worked fine. The "problem" occurs if you link HDMI to the component video. Then you have to use the RCA coonectors to get sound on remote viewing. It does not pick up the sound on the HDMI port. It does, however, pass sound to the pass through HDMI connector. I wish they'd spell all of this out in a manual. This would prevent a lot of setup problems.

I "assume" the purpose of linking the component and HDMI together is to avoid copy protection problems. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the box will automatically use component video if the HDMI won't produce a suitable signal

alanrichey42 Master
                  IThe "problem" occurs if you link HDMI to the component video. Then you have to use the RCA coonectors to get sound on remote viewing. It does not pick up the sound on the HDMI port. It does, however, pass sound to the pass through HDMI connector. I wish they'd spell all of this out in a manual. This would prevent a lot of setup problems.

Very interesting.  Unfortunately I can't test that to see if my box does the same.  Obviously you need the RCA Audio if you are just using Component video but you would think it would use the HDMI sound if it was available.

I "assume" the purpose of linking the component and HDMI together is to avoid copy protection problems. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the box will automatically use component video if the HDMI won't produce a suitable signal

Makes sense, although I am finding that when 'content' is protected then I don't see it if I use Slingplayer to view the HDMI input of the Slingbox, although it does get passed to the TV via the HDMI output.  But most AV devices seem to disable the component output if the HDMI cable is used and the content is protected so I am not sure why having them plugged in together helps.

As you say a detailed explanation would be useful.

JJBraccili

I have experience with only two set top boxes one was a Motorola used by Comcast and the other an HR-24 by Directv. All of the outputs from these boxes are live no matter what is plugged in. Right now I am running the Slingbox 500 with Component and HDMI outputs from the HR-24 linked and everything is working fine. Guess I'll find out pretty soon what happens with copy protected output. You can't manually change which port the Slingbox 500 uses  when the HDMI is linked, this could be a problem if it  doesn't handle copy protected content properly.

JJBraccili

I experimented with the HDMI - Component Video link setup. If you disconnect the Component Video and just leave the HDMI connected, you get no video in remote viewing whether you are viewing on your local LAN or accessing it remotely. This applies if you use it on a PC or a smartphone. That means, at this time, the only function of the HDMI - Component Video link is to allow you to run just one cable to your TV and access the Slingbox 500 setup. Hopefully, this changes in  a future firmware upgrade.

alanrichey42 Master

JJBraccili wrote:

I experimented with the HDMI - Component Video link setup. If you disconnect the Component Video and just leave the HDMI connected, you get no video in remote viewing whether you are viewing on your local LAN or accessing it remotely. This applies if you use it on a PC or a smartphone. That means, at this time, the only function of the HDMI - Component Video link is to allow you to run just one cable to your TV and access the Slingbox 500 setup. Hopefully, this changes in  a future firmware upgrade.

You have to be careful what you say here.   Whilst the statements you make are perfectly correct for your specific TV provider and your specific AV device, they do NOT apply to the Slingbox 500 as a general rule.    As I have said before, if I have just the HDMI connected to my Roku box then I get perfect video and audio streaming both over the LAN or remotely for 90% of the content.   What I do NOT get is audio and video streaming if the content I am trying to stream is protected.  The Slingbox blocks that content and only allows you to view it using the pass-through.

So all I can assume that your cable/satellite provider has decided to make ALL of your content protected, so that nothing is being allowed to stream.  So really your 'beef' should be with them, not with Sling.

However, it does raise the question of why the Slingbox 500 does not act like a normal TV and allow protected content to be 'displayed', or in this case 'streamed'.   I can only assume it was designed not to stream protected content so as not to upset the FCC or, more likely, the Company that actually own it, Echostar.  They, of course, have a vested interest

Al

JJBraccili

First of all none of the source content I'm using is copy protected. What I was saying is that when you link the HDMI and Component Video the Slingbox 500 only uses the Component Video and RCA audio inputs for streaming. If you don't link them and configure the HDMI input everything works as you expect.

alanrichey42 Master
                                      First of all none of the source content I'm using is copy protected.

Interesting, how do you actually tell ?    When I show various content through my Roku box I can only tell if it's protected or not if it streams.

What I was saying is that when you link the HDMI and Component Video the Slingbox 500 only uses the Component Video and RCA audio inputs for streaming. If you don't link them and configure the HDMI input everything works as you expect.

OK, I'm confused.  I was reacting to your previous statement:

If you disconnect the Component Video and just leave the HDMI  connected, you get no video in remote viewing whether you are viewing on  your local LAN or accessing it remotely.

Now you are saying:

If you don't link them and configure the HDMI input everything works as you expect.

I can't reconcile the 2 statements, could you explain in a bit more detail ?

Al

JJBraccili

Maybe, I didn't explain things clearly. In my very first post I stated that I couldn't get audio from the HDMI port when streaming and I had to use the RCA ports. You stated that you were having no problems. Then I realized that I had the Component Video  and HDMI ports linked. I unlinked them and everything worked fine and I could remote view from my HDMI port and get audio. Further testing proved that in "linked" mode the HDMI port is only used for pass through to a TV a. You can't stream video or audio from it. It only allows you to pass video and audio to your TV.

In linked mode the slingbox makes no use of the HDMI port at this time. The only reason I can see for it is to allow you to use one input on your TV for viewing and slingbox configuration. Maybe, this has something to do with the remote control that they included with slingbox. Currently, the only thing you can do with it is change the configuration of the slingbox. There must be more to it, because you could have done that with an app on a smartphone or PC.

JJBraccili

One more piece of information. I unlinked the HDMI and running it unconfigured,  I get HDMI pass through. If I configure it as a separate source I get HDMI pass through and remote viewing. Currently, the only function of link mode is to prevent you from using the HDMI input for remote viewing and running into a copy protection problem. Other than that I don't see a pratical use for the function. I guess sling is trying to avoid too many support calls.

JJBraccili

I just tried streaming copy protected content through HDMI (HBO) and got a message  that content could not be viewed. I expected it on the PC I was streaming to, but I got the same thing on the TV connected to the HDMI pass through. If I switched to the Component Video connection, I can view copy protection on both the PC and the TV with the TV connected to the HDMI pass thorugh

alanrichey42 Master

OK, the light bulb finally turns on   I had totally missed the fact you had 'software' linked them during the setup.  Because I don't have a box with both HDMI and Component outputs I had never explored that option.   It all makes some sort of sense now, although it would still be nice we had a manual to refer to that explained it all.   So as I understand it now, you can run the HDMI and component independtly and you can stream protected content through the Component but not the HDMI, or you can link them together during the setup, at which point it appears to use the only the component for the streaming,

So I guess the next question is "Why bother linking".  I can't see any advantage other than not having to switch inputs ?   

Thanks for the info, I am learning a lot in this exchange

lolento Newbie

Hi guys,

How do any of you get Audio thru HDMI?

For the life of me I cannot figure out....THe HDMI passthru does still carry audio but the slingbox or slingplayer does not see the audio.

Need some help here.