4 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2010 7:38 PM by millermmail Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Blinking Network Light (pun intended)

BPGrant

My SlingBox Solo was working fine until about 10 days ago when the network light started blinking and I can not get it to stop.  I have followed all the suggestions for checking connections and restarting the SlingBox to no avail.  The network lights for the SlingLinks are working (I had that problem before) so I don't think that is the issue.  I have also plugged the SlingBox directly into the modem and it connects just fine.  Now what?

BPG

• Re: Blinking Network Light (pun intended)
          Bryanod Novice

What is the model of the modem?  Many modems have a 10mb interface where your router has 100mb.  My sling one day would only connect like that. Might be the same for you

Bryanod Novice

Sorry I missed the fact you have slinglinks.  Have you ran the slinglink utility?  Does the slinglinks have the correct leds lit? 

millermmail Newbie

If you have a laptop, try unplugging the slingbox from the slinglink, and hook up the laptop to the slinglink (turn off wifi first!!).  Now see if your laptop can access the internet through the slinglink.  If not that sounds like the problem -- either the slinglinks aren't talking to each other (most likely) or there's a bad network cable on one of the slinglinks (possable but unlikely).  If the laptop works then that means there's a network connection (at least at that moment) so in theory the slingbox should work.

I'm not 100% sure but I think SlingLinks use powerline networking, I know my powerline network adapters (D-Link brand) have issues when they're on surge protectors or near transformers (aka wall wart, power bricks, ac adapters) so I found if that's the case I could run a short extension cord directly from an outlet out to an open area where it's away from other wires and electronics, then run the network cable back in up to the computer (or whatever).  Also, if this is the case try other outlets nearby (or even just swap it from top to bottom plug in the same outlet) -- it doesn't make sense but often it makes a huge difference.