4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2013 4:00 AM by Ellsworth Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Connecting an Iphone to television.

matulev1

I have an Iphone and a slingbox solo. The reason I got the slingbox and the app is I have an RV and I wanted to be able to watch TV while I am on the road. The problem is I can not stream the video through my Iphone to my TV in my RV (I can do it with Netflix), I have searched and found out the the reason is I don't have an Iphone 4. I have the opportunity to upgrade to an Iphone 5, but I do not want to spend the money if I can not stream my slingbox through my phone and on my television. Can anyone tell me if I can use the video out to stream onto my television on an Iphone 5 or if there is a way to do it through my present Iphone.

Thanks.

• Re: Connecting an Iphone to television.
          Apprentice

Hello matulev1,

Thank you for contacting us here on the forums! In regards to connecting the iPhone to your TV you would need the iPhone 4 or higher. The iPhone 4 or higher has a feature called "Airplay". If you have an Apple TV device or Adapter you can use the Airplay mode to mirror the iPhone to the TV. You can use the mode when viewing you Slingplayer for iPhone as well. If you have further questions on how the Airplay Mode works, please contact Apple Support.

Hope this Helps!

The Sling Moderation Team

thegarts

I have an iphone 4. Before the latest update to the slingbox app I was  able to connect the iphone with 2 different types of cables.  One is  apple brand that ends up with an rca connection (red, yellow, white).   The other connector I have used I purchased at Sam's. It is a connector  that an additional hdmi cord and charger can be connected.   Before the  last slingbox app update I was able to connect the phone to the TV.  I  would have to connect the phone, then, open the app.  Now, I can not use  any of the cords.  Only the volume is played through the TV

Ellsworth

"thegarts" wrote:

I have an iphone 4. Before the latest update to the slingbox app I was  able to connect the iphone with 2 different types of cables.  One is  apple brand that ends up with an rca connection (red, yellow, white).   The other connector I have used I purchased at Sam's. It is a connector  that an additional hdmi cord and charger can be connected.   Before the  last slingbox app update I was able to connect the phone to the TV.  I  would have to connect the phone, then, open the app.  Now, I can not use  any of the cords.  Only the volume is played through the TV

I have discovered that using a 3rd-party video output device for iPhone 4 (a Skiva MediaAdapter), using the current (as of 3/27/13) SlingPlayer iOS app v3.3, that when the SlingPlayer app is configured to "Auto" or "HQ" quality, video plays through to the composite video output, but if the app is configured to "SQ" (Standard Quality), then the video plays on the iPhone's internal display, and audio is sent through the media adapter.

Unfortunately, the outbound bandwidth of our home connection is inadequate for HQ, and the video pauses frequently.

"thegarts," I'm curious - if you switch your quality setting to "HQ," does this restore video output through your adapters?

-Ellsworth

P.S. Oh - sorry - just found the thread which is about exactly this topic: https://community.sling.com/thread/21544?tstart=0

thegarts