33 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2012 11:53 AM by doitt2 RSS

Slingbox 500 worth the money!

SuzyQ1012

I previously had a Pro HD and most recently a Solo that had 4 power cords go bad, plus was using Slinglinks that also finally died and are no longer available.  So, decided to make the leap and upgrade to the 500 with built-in wifi.  It was much easier to install than the previous boxes.  You just hook it up like the quick start guide says, and then sit back and use the remote to go through the steps.  It first installed a software update for the box, which took about 10 minutes.  Then you just follow the onscreen instructions - you choose your network from a list of available networds, type in your your wifi password, zip code, choose your cable box model, etc.  The only glitch I had was when it got to the place of testing the channels, power button, etc., my cable box was not receiving the signal and nothing happened.  The onscreen instructions instructed me to plug in the included IR cable (which was not supposed to be necessary, but was included in case you need it, thank you!).  I plugged it in and it worked perfectly.  The new IR cable is much better - it no longer has the self-stick tape that eventually comes loose.  Instead, it is a heavier square rubber IR that just sits on the shelf in front of the cable box.  When I opened the slingbox with my laptop, it did direct me to install a new player.  I don't know if this was because of the new box or if it is necessary for everyone.  Once this was done, it worked perfectly.  My husband was travelling abroad and says that the picture is a lot better than we had with either of the other boxes!

I was also concerned that the Slingbox mobile (Android) that I had paid $30.00 for would not work as I had read some discussion about it.  It was true that it did not work initially.  So, I went into the playstore and did a search for Slinbox mobile.  I could see the new one for $14.99, but it also showed the one that I had installed and there was an option to upgrade. So I tried it.  It upgraded for no charge and it now works just fine on both my phone and my tablet and I did not have to pay anything additional.  I would not have been happy if they had changed it and then made me pay for it again!

All in all, I am very pleased with the new box and am very happy that I made the decision to upgrade.

The other thing that we had to do was to install

• Re: Slingbox 500 worth the money!
          tcaradonna Novice

Just an observation here, but it sounds like the biggest selling point for you was having the wifi access.  I'm sure that helped simplify your setup.

SuzyQ1012

Yes, that is probably the biggest benefit for us. But, I was happy to hear that the picture quality was much better.  I just hope this box doesn't have power cord failure like the solo had!   I made this post because I couldn't find much information about it when trying to decide and thought it might be helpful for someone else.  I found some discussion of problems people were having getting various other boxes to work with the 500, but not much other general information.  I guess the downside would be that if there is any failure, it is now all in one box. It was rather pricey and only time will tell, but I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed!

ACC179480

im having problems with my slingbox 500 i have component cable and HDMI cable hooked up this is what happens if i want to watch tv on my iphone i have to unplug the HDMI cable from the cable box now when i get home order for me to watch tv from my big screen tv i have to plug back in HDMI cable back to cable box this sucks can somebody tell me how can i get botrh to show up on tv and iphone.THANKS

SuzyQ1012

I am not an expert on these things and don't really have any idea.  It almost sounds like something isn't hooked up correctly, but what do I know.  I'm sure you have double checked all that.  The only other thing I can think of would be to see if there is an update to the slingplayer for iphone.  Good luck and I hope someone can help!

ACC179480

THANKS..

nuspieds Newbie

Hi,

I purchased the 500 over the weekend and I have both HDMI and Component cables connected and I am not experiencing what you're experiencing.

I was originally only HDMI, until I tested viewing HBO via the Slingbox and then I realized that the warning message about setting up another Input was significant after all.

So that's when I connected my Component cables and now I'm able to view HBO and other protected content via the Slingbox.  My setup is that I have my DirecTV HR24 connected to my Slingbox via HDMI and Component.  I am able to watch TV at home and away via the Slingbox without disconnecting and reconnecting anything.

As far as the HDMI output from my Slingbox, it is going to my A/V Receiver.

Hope that helps.

doitt2 Newbie

I would guess that the simple solution is to just connect component ONLY from your cable box and drop the HDMI input.  Then use HDMI out to TV. 

alanrichey42 Master

doitt2 wrote:

I would guess that the simple solution is to just connect component ONLY from your cable box and drop the HDMI input.  Then use HDMI out to TV. 

Not sure that would work.   The HDMI out is for the Slingbox UI and then via the passthrough button it will display whatever is on the HDMI input.  If you have the component cables coming from your cable box into the Slingbox you would need to connect the TV to the component outputs of the Slingbox if you wanted to view it.  There is then no reason to use the HDMI port on the Slingbox at all.

Later:  To clarify, what I am trying to say is that the HDMI output from the Slingbox will NOT display any signal sent to the component input.

doitt2 Newbie

There may be certain types of cable boxes that may behave differently.  See http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000491.html

But I can unequivocally say that I disconnected the HDMI cable input, and now see all video and menus via component input and HDMI output, so the slingbox does not do a one to one strict matching of input to output.  There is no harm in anyone trying this, provided of course that everything is powered off before disconnecting the cable.

alanrichey42 Master
                                    But I can unequivocally say that I disconnected the HDMI cable input, and now see all video and menus via component input and HDMI output, so the slingbox does not do a one to one strict matching of input to output.

Interesting, thanks for that.   I obviously misunderstood the Sling logic.  I don't actually have a source that provides both HDMI and component outputs so could not test that.   I wonder what is displayed if you have seperate devices feeding the HDMI and the component inputs ?   Using your logic it should display both overlayed on each other?   That would not make sense so maybe one of them takes preference ?   I think I will drag out an old DVD Player I have that has component outputs and give it a try.   Fascinating stuff.

doitt2 Newbie

Not so sure anymore that this works as originally reported.  Haven't spent enough time with the TV to know for certain, but last night I could not get a signal to the TV, after multiple power cycles of all equipment, until I reconnected the HDMI cable from the cable box to the slingbox.  Now I know the arrangement with the cable disconnected has worked well for days for the sling player feed.  What I may not have tested (can't remember for certain) is whether disconnecting the HDMI works for the TV as well as the slingplayer feed.  At this point, I think component input exclusively may work perfectly fine for the slingplayer feed, but the slingbox does not seem to transmit component input to HDMI output to the TV.

tcaradonna Novice

The problem is with your source signal.  Some STB will not simultaneously transmit an HDMI & analog signal at the same time.  These boxes will turn off the analog signal when attempting to use HDMI.  You should be able to test this theory with your TV to prove the problem is with the STB and not the slingbox.  If this is indeed the problem, you would probably need a different STB.  What are you using right now?

ACC179480

I'm using TIME WARNER Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250 HDC

alanrichey42 Master

tcaradonna wrote:

The problem is with your source signal.  Some STB will not simultaneously transmit an HDMI & analog signal at the same time.  These boxes will turn off the analog signal when attempting to use HDMI.  You should be able to test this theory with your TV to prove the problem is with the STB and not the slingbox.  If this is indeed the problem, you would probably need a different STB.  What are you using right now?

I would question that slightly.  I agree that some STBs will not simultaneously transmit an HDMI & DIGITAL signals (i.e the component output).  I haven't come across a case where the analog (composite) signal has been blocked ?   Ot have I missed something ?

cloneman Newbie

Can anyone confirm the types of support video formats in the Slingbox 500?

I used FRAPS  application this weekend with Slingplayer for web and I saw that my 720p PRO-HD runs at 30fps, which is not bad of course.

I was wondering if the slingbox 500 had a 720p 60fps option!

tcaradonna Novice

I do not own this box, but a quick search online seems to indicate that users can't do the simultaneous outputs.  The user manual seems to indicate this as well.  That's a tough spot for you I know because it basically gives you no work around to protected content.  Could you try getting a different box?  I don't know what else to suggest.  See the reference below:

http://forum.bigpicturebigsound.com/sources-blu-ray-players-dvd-players-set-top-boxes-etc/626-scientific-atlanta-set-top-box-4250hd.html

Maybe Slingbox has a way of getting around this?

SuzyQ1012

Wow, I would not be happy.  It worked so well with my Motorola Comcast box.  Is it possible to just remove the HDMI altogether?  I have been reading about why it is necessary to use both and it states that you must use component connections as your primary connection when viewing on the slingbox so you don't have an option there.  But, while at home, can you just continue to use component?

ACC179480

Well I'm having my wife take back the old Cable Box for a new one tomorrow morning.So hopefully this would solve my problem.

ACC179480

Got my new Cable Box today hooked up slingbox 500 & everything is working now.So the new cable box solved my problems:)

brianhowes

If you're considering buying a Slingbox 350/500, please drop me a line first.  I'll give it to you straight.

I've posted my feedback on this forum and it was removed because it supposedly violated the forum policy.  Apparently you're not allowed to say how you really feel about Sling's products.

Apparently only Super Great Positive feedback is on topic but otherwise, it's off-topic.

Whatever....

Brian

lolento Newbie

Well, I also posted a REAL review of my observation on the 500.  Let's see how long that last.

I posted the same review on Amazon where I made the purchase.

Looking up the other reviews on Amazon...I can totally tell that Sling is posting fake reviews up there LOL.

ACC179480

This is from Time Warner  Cable Box Cisco 4742HDC

SuzyQ1012

Since I wrote the original post, there have been many replies with varying experiences.  While my experience was very good with the Slingbox 500 and we are very pleased with it, it seems that others are having problems.  I would suggest to anyone thinking of purchasing the Sling 500 (or maybe the 350, too), to do some research on your set top box to see if it is capable of handling HDMI and component.  The box I used was Motorola DCX3400.  Hopefully, people will post their models that worked and didn't work for other people to reference.  I feel fortunate that mine worked without a glitch!

brianhowes

Suzy -

I think what most of are saying is that this forum is being manipulated to favor Sling and their products.  We aren't being allowed to discuss problems we're having and warn folks if they intend to use the new hardware as we have in the past, that it's going to be a pipe dream at this point.  We're not allowed to notify our peers that Sling is Microsoft'ing us. (beta testing against paying customers...)

I now know how it would feel if we lived in China with the government removing anything/anyone that goes against them.

Point is, I'm taking my slingbox 500 back to the store.  The inability to watch my slingbox 500 from the office is the deal breaker.  Which is **** because my old slingbox pro still works just fine from the office.   The official response from Sling is that this feature will not be available for some time.  There are many things to figure out/correct before it will work.

Thanks for listening,

Brian

tcaradonna Novice

I understand some people have had their posts removed.  I'm not sure what that's about(as the posts are gone I've never seen them), but I can personally say that I've posted many critical things about the new slingboxes and none of my have been removed.  The one thing I can say that is somewhat curious is why they buried the SlingCatcher forum under "accessories" and not legacy products.  Nobody is able to find it!  I've asked them to move it.

@Brian: is the reason you can't connect from your office related to the port 5201 issue?  With the new boxes these ports are unchangeable and before people would change them as needed to work around company firewall issues or ISPs with the port blocked.

lolento Newbie

Well, just post a product review on Amazon like I did.  Slingmedia cannot just keep posting fake reviews to balance out REAL reviews.