52 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2015 6:21 PM by Ly658YJOyI RSS

Windows 8 Plugin Lag

murmanz

Hello, I have noticed a problem with my sling box solo and the plugin - When the machine is running under windows 7 the plugin works great and is in sync perfectly - the same machine on a virgin install of windows 8  the plugin has a 1-2 second lag in video/audio sync.  I have observed this on two separate computers.  I am pretty sure this is an issue with the current plugin and window 8 - can anyone confirm?

• Re: Windows 8 Plugin Lag
          notken

I have the same issue. Fine on Win 7. Audio is nearly a second behind with Windows 8.

Windows 8 launches today, so this could really do with being fixed.

Apprentice

Hello murmanz,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Slingbox. I do apologize but currently the Slingbox is not compatible with Windows 8. Please see the link below that lists our supported operating systems and browsers:

Best Regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

murmanz

Thanks for your answer, with the release of Windows 8, I am looking for a timeline for support for IE 10 and windows 8.  Please let me know.  THanks

keironmc Newbie

That I'm afraid is not an acceptable answer!

The Release Cadidate and beta versions has been available for months, I tested this app on these versions and was aware of the issue however I assumed that a company of your repute would at least have a fix if not a newer version of the plugin available on release date!!!!

keironmc Newbie

OK for those affected I found a bodge fix for the time being which works for me at least! Posted by Baracuda in other post:

"Here is a trick I found gets rid of most or all of the desync. In the windows client, play from buffer..slide the bar back slightly"

Will work in the meantime but come on a decent proportion of your customers will be moving to this platform from now to 18 months, you better start getting the plugin to work as a priority!

Beradon

Slingbox and slingplayer are not compatible with Windows 8?

Maybe you should report this to Microsoft so when the Windows Update Advisor runs it will flag the slingplayer or slingplayer plugin, both of which I've had issues with.

I'm so disappointed.

EDIT:

Workaround for those of you with this issue.  The slingplayer app in Facebook runs clean for me, although I had to right click on the middle of it and choose to disable hardware acceleration.

ACC294954

Having exactly the same problem so I came here to check on that issue and to see what's new. Saw lots of stuff going on to support iphone 5 but nothing in development to support windows 8. How is that possible?  

Mihos233

Absolutly unacceptable answer.  This along with no Linux support and the fricken REDICULOUS price of the mobile app, makes this product practically worthless.

acrftr

This is only a partial answer.   What's the plan here?  Will there be a windows 8 plug in?   When should we expect it?

acrftr

When can we expect a fix?

raeburn2004

Hi, have been checking this site since installing my slingplayer on Win 8 and experiencing the lag.  Whilst here I thought I would check out the new products and noticed that the Products page talks about 3 ways to watch slingplayer on your PC -

(1) on Slingplayer online

(2) Facebook

(3) Embedded on your web page

I couldn't find any mention of using the software I have installed in my computer - could this be the reason why they're not rushing to fix the lag problem, are they going to drop being able to install anything on your actual machine.

I hope not as I like to have the player at the extreme left hand side whilst doing other things and you can't do that with the pop out on their web page.

Johnwelling

I just checked your link and the slingbox site says it supports windows 8 in destop mode with internet 9 or above. However just tried to do the plug in, and I get the following pop up and nothing else:

Windows ® Installer. V 5.0.9200.16384

msiexec /Option <Required Parameter> [Optional Parameter]

Install Options
                                  </package | /i> <Product.msi>
                                    Installs or configures a product
                                  /a <Product.msi>
                                    Administrative install - Installs a product on the network
                                  /j<u|m> <Product.msi> [/t <Transform List>] [/g <Language ID>]
                                    Advertises a product - m to all users, u to current user
                                  </uninstall | /x> <Product.msi | ProductCode>
                                    Uninstalls the product
                                  Display Options
                                  /quiet
                                    Quiet mode, no user interaction
                                  /passive
                                    Unattended mode - progress bar only
                                  /q[n|b|r|f]
                                    Sets user interface level
                                    n - No UI
                                    b - Basic UI
                                    r - Reduced UI
                                    f - Full UI (default)
                                  /help
                                    Help information
                                  Restart Options
                                  /norestart
                                    Do not restart after the installation is complete
                                  /promptrestart
                                    Prompts the user for restart if necessary
                                  /forcerestart

Baracuda

Installed fine for me. Same lag, so I would stress out worrying about this junk not installing. I think that spending the time figuring out what to replace Sling with FOREVER, would be more productive. Them getting rid of the Desktop app is pretty much enough motivation for that, alone.

I hate seeing once great products go down the toilet.

I do know one thing, if the solution is Buy a 550, they can kiss my shiney, metal, bu**

seriousfun

Same symptom, W8 x64 Chrome and IE. Same workaround - jiggle the buffer a little and it's back in sync.

Sling...please fix this.

GavinBrown

Today is November 2nd, 2012....how long do you think it will be before there is a fix for the Sling Box and Windows 8? The only reason I kept dish Network and spent the extra money for the hopper is to be able to run the sling player via my laptop when I travel, which is quite often. You have virtually made it worthless to me, and I was a big fan of the hopper and the sling box. But like some of the others have said, unacceptable answer that it is not available, and no date given as to when it will work on the Windows 8 platform. could someone with some insight on this please respond.

Come on Man!

acrftr

this not good.   shoul i return it?   best buy toldme nothing about windoes 8 issues.   youd think youd have dealth with this before the release of a new slingbox

Baracuda

I would definately return it. If Sling so choses to treat their customers this way, why be a customer? If I had the opportunity (I've owned mine too long) I would return it without hesitation. There are other devices out there to perform this function.

I am almost at the point of tossing the thing anyway. This nonsense about stopping development on the Slingplayer Windows app makes me mad. I don't want to use their stupid web app. This company seems to be headed to the toilet.

fred1000

I have the exact same problem. Upgraded to Windows 8 and the audio/video is out of sync. I get the feeling that Sling no longer wants to support desktop viewing software. This will render Slingbox useless for me as my primary use is watching sling on my desktop at work with it pushed to one side so as I can work with my other programs and watch TV at the same time. I have been a Slingbox enthusiast for over 10 years but this may be the end. Does anyone know of an alternative product that still allows you to watch TV on top of other programs? On another note, I tried to contact an online chat technician and finally gave up after waiting for a response for over 40 minutes. What's going on with Slingbox, they used to be such a great product??

murmanz

Fred, rolling back the PVR slider about 5 seconds does make it useable on Windows 8 as a temporary fix.  I would like to see a time schedule of Windows 8 adoption and announcement of a Windows store application for sling - not sure if that is even in the realm but as it sits, its useable now for some use cases, just not exactly live (3-5 second lag) streaming until official support is announced.

Murray

fred1000

Hey Murry....Thanks for the tip, IT WORKS! I really appreciate it. I am self employed and sit at my desk all day and love my Slingbox. Are you having any problems with remote features such as program info and other commands? When I try use the program guide on the remote or the info button the picture becomes unstable and pixilated. Do you think Sling has abandon desktop software for the web? 

shaysfn Novice

Hey fred1000,

Thanks for using our Answers Forum.  I understand that you are having an issue with the audio/video sync between your Slingbox and the desktop Slingplayer.

At this time, Sling Media does not recommend using the desktop Slingplayer, we now recommend that our customers go to Slingbox.com and click on Watch.  Our viewing method has evolved from the desktop player to the exciting, new and improved Watch@Slingbox.com.

This will allow you to watch your Slingbox from any computer anywhere in the world without having to download the application to your computer.  There is the option on this site called the "Pop up Player" that has the same functions as the desktop player and will allow you to do other things on your computer while watching your Slingplayer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Moderation Team.

fred1000

I appreciate your getting back to me and I did as you suggested. However, am I missing something? As soon as I open Word or another web page the slingplayer disappears unless I minimize Word or the new web page and re-size everything. The desktop app does this automatically. Also, the remote functions for my ATT Uverse cable box are not working properly with slingbox either with the desktop software or with watch sling .com since I upgraded to Windows 8. Will these issues be addressed or has Slingbox gone strictly to Internet only viewing? I guess what I'm really asking is if the desktop software will ever be updated or supported again?

shaysfn Novice

Hey fred1000,

Good to hear from you again in our Answers Forum.

At this time, there are no plans to update the desktop Slingplayer.  We are strictly going to internet viewing.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Moderation Team 

Baracuda

BOO HISSssss

fred1000

Well....As much as I hate your response, I appreciate the fact that you finally stopped skirting the question and replied with an honest answer. I will say, that I would hope that Sling Media might reconsider this issue as I truly believe that there are a lot of users out there who, like myself, need the desktop software for their particular viewing needs. What was once an outstanding product has now been reduced to just another player in a widening field of "time shifting" devices. To the other disappointed users out there perhaps starting a dialogue on social media regarding this issue might sway Slingbox to reconsider their decision.       

raeburn2004

Thanks for the answer but did it really take almost 2 weeks to let us know or has this major decision only been taken in the last few days?

And, if you are switching completely to watching online why are you still selling the app for tablets which I bought, unnecessarily it appears, just a few days ago.

By the way, having just checked it out there is a lag using Watch online too.

shaysfn Novice

Hey raeburn2004,

Thanks for using our Answers Forum.  Please let me clarify my previous response.  When viewing your Slingbox on a computer either MAC or PC, we now recommend that you go to Slingbox.com and Click on Watch. 

This does not in any way affect your ability to watch your Slingbox on your Tablet or phone, you will continue to use the same Slingplayer app as you have always used.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Moderation Team

notken

Everyone seems to have forgotten how this thread started. It wasn't anything to do with the Slingbox application. The browser plug-in has the same bug as it seems the app has, in that audio is nearly one second behind the picture. Phasing out the app in favour of using the browser IS NOT THE SOLUTION. This is a bug in the code when using it under Windows 8.

It seems as if Win 8 has sold millions of copies in the last 10 days, so Slingbox sticking its head in the sand and saying it doesn't support the current Microsoft Operating System that has been readily available for over a year is utterly insane; unless the company is admitting that this is a serious error that it can't fix.

Can we please get back to the original thread so that the app vs plug-in issue doesn't become a red herring? This is a bug in the browser plug-in, on all of the major browsers, and is only witnessed in Windows 8. On Win 7 it is fine.

The only imperfect solution at the moment is to slide the buffer back a few seconds. Many thanks to keironmc for that.

Marchbank

Agree with the latest post.

THE KEY ISSUE IS THAT SLINGBOX SEEMINGLY DOESN'T WANT TO SUPPORT WINDOWS 8 !!!!!!

I have:

Slingbox solo

Echostar hds-600rs

2 x slingcatcher

streaming works perfectly with slingcatchers

plugin works perfectly on windows 7/IE9 (watching through watch@slingbox.com)

plugin doesn't connect on windows 8/IE10 (new laptop and AIO) (watching through watch@slingbox.com)

I was amazed/baffled/flabbergasted to find this Windows 8 discussion here on the forum and to understand my slingplayer setup is worthless with new windows 8 computers.

Mihos233

Thanks for clarifying that Slingbox is supporting only in browser viewing.  Unfortunatly, this is unacceptable on many, many levels for many, many reasons.

Is there a complaint forum so that we don't muddy up the tech support area with disagreements about policy and as to why browser only playback is fundamentaly flawed concept?

alstein

Hi

I also am having a problem with my Slingbox audio sync not being acceptable when watching on my Windows 8 PC (I have a Slingbox solo). When I watch through Slingbox.com, the audio sync problems disappear.

However when I'm home I prefer to use the Slingbox software through my home network, since then, I assume am not using any of my available usage from my Internet provider. Am I correct in assuming that when I use your internet application, that I am increasing my downloads compared to using your incompatiable software?

murmanz

SO remember, until a fix is released, back off the slider about 5-10 seconds worth and the audio will be in sync.  I am hoping that when a solution for W8 comes out they also address RT..  Secondly, when you are at home I believe the Watch.slingbox.com url hands off the local traffic to the slingbox without going through your internet connection.

ACC5820061

I have Windows 8.1 and Chrome 13.0.1650.57.  When I try to install the plugin for Chrome, I receive the message:  "NPAPI plugins are not supported."  What am I doing wrong?

brett.sling Newbie

Hello ACC5820061,

Thank you for using Sling Answers Forum. I believe you meant to type that you are using Chrome 31.0.1650.57.

Recent changes within Chrome have made it so the user has to explicitly tell the browser to allow the SlingPlayer plugin to run.

To do this:

1. Open Settings (the three line icon in the upper right, next to the URL bar)
                                                                                  2. Click 'Show Advanced Settings'
                                                                                  3. Click 'Content Settings'
                                                                                  4. Scroll down to 'Plug-ins' and make sure "Click to play" is selected. If prompted by Chrome, select "Always allow plug-ins on newwatch.slingbox.com"
                                                                                  5. Alternately, within 'Manage Exceptions' you can add [*.]newwatch.slingbox.com as a trusted hostname.

Regards,

Brett, PM @ Sling

jimparm

I am finding the same problem on 2 different machines with Win 8 Pro ugrades on them, Win 7 was great. With Win 8 the audio/video out of sync.

Faz

Still not working with Windows 8. Audio out of sync. Please fix!

DawgPoundMBA

I am having the problem when using the slingplayer in my browser on windows 8 systems.  Can someone let me know when a fix is planned?

dmorse2112

Confirmed, this is an issue on all of my Windows 8 boxes (Dell Latitude E6410, E6420), one with Pro, one with Enterprise.

As mentioned in other threads, moving the slider back slightly corrects the sync issue but this is hardly a good workaround!

Worked just fine under Win7...please advise on a timeframe for Win8 support, it's now shipping on all new computers!!!

dmorse2112

Called Slingbox techincal support and used online chat, neither of which were helpful on an ETA for Windows 8 support.  Apparently 1 month + after release of Microsoft's latest OS isn't enough time to fix a glaring bug in their plugin.

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hello all,

I just heard back from our engineers and they have identified the issue. They are working on a plug in update to resolve and estimated early to mid January timeframe for public release. I do apologize for this inconvenience but I wanted to at least give you what information I could gather. If I get any additional detail or updates I will post them here.

-Matt

Baracuda

This going forward without the Slingplayer for Windows app sucks beyond compare....to the point that I will most likely find another brand for my future use. Pity, before now I recommended sling products. That's sure as heck over.

Reconsider or lose customers. This forum about Sling's complete blunder with Windows 8 should clue you into the fact that your customers are not so dedicated as to continue to live with Slingbox's bad decisions

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hello again,

I have an update from engineering. Internal Beta is wrapping up and a public release is scheduled for January 24th, 2013. I'll update this thread if any dates change.

-Matt

YourBudKurt

I just downloaded Windows 8 today.  After doing the installation compatibility check, it lists SlingPlayer as one of the compatible programs.  The legacy player download minimum requirements makes no mention of Windows 8.

My current version is 2.0.4521.  The current download for the legacy player is 2.0.4522.  When I go into the SlingPlayer and "check for updates" it says I am running the most current version.  I am still running Windows 7, as I hesitate to actually install my downloaded copy of Windows 8 until I know it will work with SlingPlayer.  Does the last "2" in the version number signify the patch for Windows 8 compatibility?

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hi,

Just wanted to give a head's up, the latest Watch on Slingbox.com software went out yesterday, and addresses the Windows 8 AV synch (lag) issue.

We posted the detals in this What's New? announcement.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Sorry it took so long, but I'm very happy we resolved this issue

-Matt

Ly658YJOyI

When is Slingmedia going to fix this problem?  It has been years and while you've succeeded in making us watch unwanted commercials that weren't there before this problem, you seem to not want to actually make your systems work with modern technology.  You can be driven by the money, that's ok, but be driven by quality products just little, too, ok?