7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2012 8:03 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Connecting Solo with no cable box

gregtatchio

I have a slingbox solo that is not connected to a cable box. The small box the cable is plugged into has only an rf output. Should I try to find an adapter

from the rf to av cables that go into the slingbox or go wireless to one of our cable boxes?

• Re: Connecting Solo with no cable box
          alanrichey42 Master

You need an old VCR or PVR that has a built-in tuner.  That will take the co-ax RF output from your DTA box and provide the yellow/re/white/ composite output you need for the Solo.

1Maricristi

I had the same problem and made the connection through a VCR and works perfectly.  However, if there is a power outage when I am away from home (which is when I use the Slingbox) the VCR gets turned off and it does not reconnect when the power gets restored.  Is there any other type of adapter that can convert the cable wire to the three (red, white and yellow) prongs needed to connect to the Slingbox and will not get turned off????  I have an adapter for a new DVD/VCR, but it is reversed.  That is: the three prongs go IN  and the cable goes OUT. Do they make anything the other way around?  Thanks for your attention.

alanrichey42 Master

I had the same problem and made the connection through a VCR and works perfectly.  However, if there is a power outage when I am away from home (which is when I use the Slingbox) the VCR gets turned off and it does not reconnect when the power gets restored.

Do you not have an IR Blaster pointing at the VCR so you can remotely turn it back on ?   I had a similar setup with the DTA cable box installed as the primary input (on the composite input) so that I could change channels, but I also put the VCR onto one of the unused inputs (S-video), so if that happened I simply switched inputs, turned the VCR on, then reverted back to the composite input.

Is there any other type of adapter that can convert the cable wire to the three (red, white and yellow) prongs needed to connect to the Slingbox and will not get turned off????

It isn't an adapter that is needed, you MUST have some sort of a device with a built in TV tuner so it can take in the coax input, convert it to a TV picture and output it through the RCA plugs.

I have an adapter for a new DVD/VCR, but it is reversed.  That is: the three prongs go IN  and the cable goes OUT. Do they make anything the other way around?

Lots of places sell RCA adaptors to convert male to female.  Just search the Radio Shack (USA) or Maplins (UK) web sites.

1Maricristi

Thanks, Allan.  Can the 2 headed IR cable that comes with the Sling box be splitted and shared by both, the DTA and the VCR, to switch inputs and do what you are telling me to do?

To: Maria Nassif <maria_nassif@yahoo.com>

Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2012 11:37 AM

Subject: Re: - Connecting Solo with no cable box

Slingbox Answers Forum

Connecting Solo with no cable box reply from alanrichey42 in General Slingbox SOLO Questions - View the full discussion

I had the same problem and made the connection through a VCR and works perfectly.  However, if there is a power outage when I am away from home (which is when I use the Slingbox) the VCR gets turned off and it does not reconnect when the power gets restored.

Do you not have an IR Blaster pointing at the VCR so you can remotely turn it back on ?   I had a similar setup with the DTA cable box installed as the primary input (on the composite input) so that I could change channels, but I also put the VCR onto one of the unused inputs (S-video), so if that happened I simply switched inputs, turned the VCR on, then reverted back to the composite input.

Is there any other type of adapter that can convert the cable wire to the three (red, white and yellow) prongs needed to connect to the Slingbox and will not get turned off????

It isn't an adapter that is needed, you MUST have some sort of a device with a built in TV tuner so it can take in the coax input, convert it to a TV picture and output it through the RCA plugs.

I have an adapter for a new DVD/VCR, but it is reversed.  That is: the three prongs go IN  and the cable goes OUT. Do they make anything the other way around?

Lots of places sell RCA adaptors to convert male to female.  Just search the Radio Shack (USA) or Maplins (UK) web sites.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in General Slingbox SOLO Questions at Slingbox Answers Forum