8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2012 8:29 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Setup with their remote

Kretsge

My TV is stuck on the screen that says "Use the Slingbox remote to select the onscreen Next to continue."  Yes, there is an onscreen button that says Next

But the remote does nothing.  ive tried every button and yes the batteries are in.  Is there a product manual for this thing?

• Re: Setup with their remote
          alanrichey42 Master

It's a terrible UI isn't it ?    Just use the arrow buttons to move the highlight to the 'Next' button

tcaradonna Novice

I got the online setup to work.  You can try that too, but as alanrichey42 suggested the remote should work.

Kretsge

OK, 'll try that.  Thanks for the suggestions.  But the arrows on the remote never did anything last night.  I'll try changing the batteries in the remote.  In a fit of frustration last night I pulled all the 100's of cables I had running from Cable box  to Slingbox to TV.  Why put a hdmi port in if, at every step, you're told don't use it..Use component cables in instead!  Is this an upgrade from the pro- HD?  It better look much better because otherwise it's a joke.  An expensive joke.  Thanks guys!

SuzyQ1012

Actually, I believe it says to use BOTH the HDMI & component cables, doesn't it?

Kretsge

Yes.  It says to use both.  But what was the point if adding hdmi when it says at ever poorly-documented step to make sure there is component set up too.

alanrichey42 Master
                              Yes.  It says to use both.  But what was the point if adding hdmi when it says at ever poorly-documented step to make sure there is component set up too.

You can't blame Sling for this.  You have to blame whoever invented HDCP   The advice to use both is perfectly valid for lots of setups where the HDCP has been implemented.  If you know that HDCP is not going to be a factor (I am using it to view a Roku box in HD), then the addition of HDMI is very welcome and you can use the component input for other content.

Kretsge

The answer to the mystery that drove me crazy for two days  was that the batteries included in the 500 box were dead.  That is

So crazy for a company to charge so much money for a brand new product and then ship it  with dead batteries.  Unbelievable!

But thanks again for the help.

tcaradonna Novice

Sorry to hear about your frustrations with the remote.  I assumed from your post that you were getting to a certain point in your setup, and  not having trouble from the beginning, so I didn't suspect the remote.  A quick and handy test in the future is using a digital camera to see if you're getting remote output.  The ir bulb will shineout on the screen.