16 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2012 5:21 AM by tcaradonna RSS

Slingbox 500 & Slingcatcher

tcaradonna Novice

Slingbox 500 shows in the directory, but it asks for a password to access it.  Since the new setup doesn't include a password, access is denied.  Please make an update to either SlingCatcher or Slingbox 350/500 so these will work together.  SlingCatcher is by far the best device for watching slingbox on a real TV.  Without this capability, the Pro-HD continues to be the better overall product.

• Re: Slingbox 500 & Slingcatcher
          callanish Apprentice

Completely agree. I just at times scratch my head at slingmedia's strategy with connected devices. Okay, the slingcatcher hasn't officially sold for a while now, but now we've got boxee removing their hardware from the sling connected devices making the Wdtv and google tv hardware as the only two functional products with the new slingbox's for tv use. I understand LG has a Smart TV with a slingplayer app built in, but I don't know when that will be sold.

My point is here you've got a perfectly good sling product in the slingcatcher that was given up on way before it had a chance. You've got sling with a connected device to tv strategy that is completely half hearted that I don't quite know where they are going with it. We need more connected devices, not less and with crippling the slingcatcher to no longer work with the new slingbox line, this has now eliminated another way to connect to the slingbox along with the demise of the sling app on the boxee.

I'm not going to go into the complexity of a product that is no longer being sold by sling getting it to work with a new product, but from my perspective, we're still dealing with the TCP protocol, so my educated guess is if we can actually sign into our account through the slingcatcher, I don't see there being a problem if they fixed the sign in issue to get it to work again, but from my experience, once sling moves on, they move on without even thinking about the colllateral damage they've left behind. (See Logitech revue with the sling app to backup my point ). Looks like they're sticking with flash ( which according to adobe no longer has a future ) for signing in and out of your sling account, thus leaving the slingcatcher broken and no interest with going backwards to make the catcher compatible.

Like you, I thought the Slingcatcher was a great product, and due to all the features being taken away from the new slingbox models and less ways to connect to them, it makes me question what reason I'd have to move on to the 350 or 500 lineup.

edit. Sorry, that's a JVC smart tv with sling streaming built in, not LG

OvCollyer Apprentice

+1 from me

I read on an Amazon review that 'Sling tech support said that they will not update the SlingCatcher to work with the 500 because they no longer make the SlingCatcher.'

Just goes to show that they have little interest in supporting existing users and will only support things where there is direct money to be made.

They overlook the indirect and positive financial effect that looking after (and being seen to look after) your loyal customers brings, and I doubt they get more loyal than those who spent £££ or $$$ on the Slingcatcher.

andrermf Newbie

there mus be a way to put this slingcatcher to work with the 350 and 500...we gotta find it

tcaradonna Novice

With the loss of yet another platform for streaming to tv(i.e the boxeebox), There is more reason than ever for sling box to continue supporting their own venture into this space.  I.e. the slingcatcher 

From marketing 101, if you're listening slingbox, these are complementary products: people will see more value from their slingbox and buy more, even if you never collect another dime on the slingcatcher. (Although I'm sure they could collect if they wanted.)

Some great ideas above too!

jamesmccourt Novice

In my view there's absolutely nothing wrong with the SlingCatcher. Mine works perfectly!

stringer3 Newbie

I agree.  The slingcatcher is a great piece of kit.  With other devices for watching Slingbox on a remote TV falling like ninepins, surely now is the time for sling to resurrect their interest in the wonderful slingcatcher.  Bring it back into production, make it compatible with slingbox es old and new, make it HD and generally develop it

What makes sling think that we prefer to watch slingbox on a tiny iPad rather than a full sized TV?

alanrichey42 Master

I don't have any inside knowledge, but now the Slingbox 360/500 has an output that can independently drive a TV, and has re-introduced the SlingProjector function (admittedly for only mobiles) I wonder if a future firmware update could introduce the rest of the SlingCatcher functionality and allow for remote Slingbox streaming ?  

If I was designing it I would have incorporated all the requisite hardware so it could be updated later through firmware.   But then again, I don't work for Sling, and it is a bit too logical, so I am probably wrong

jamesmccourt Novice

Wouldn't that be amazing? And, it would mean Sling wouldn't have to manufacture a separate Catcher box but anyone that wanted that capability would buy two 500 or 350's. One to send and one to receive.

I'm still baffled by their last move in the UK market which was to the introduce the brilliant Echostar HDS-600RS which is a Freesat receiver and 500GB DVR with Sling capability but then not make it compatible with many of their connected devices or players. I can't use the Facebook app or WDTV, Boxee, Logitech etc but can use the iPhone app. It all seems like a bit of a mess.

I wonder why they don't streamline the brand so everything is interchangable? Apple certainly got that right.

As you said.....maybe too logical!

OvCollyer Apprentice

Certainly looks plausible - if it's going to be able to support streaming of mobile videos to the TV then it would imply the hardware is capable of receiving and decoding a stream so it would appear to be a logical next step to make it pick up the stream from another box.

I think my main reservation with them now though is will they see it through?

They seem to be acquiring a reputation for not finishing or fully evolving things they start, though it must be a pain to write Slingplayer apps for connected devices that subsequently become discontinued.

Give me a proper Slingplayer app for Apple TV and all will be forgiven from me though - but I'm guessing that probably wouldn't be in Apple's best interests since they'd presumably rather people buy from iTunes than stream their cable/satellite content.

alanrichey42 Master
                                          They seem to be acquiring a reputation for not finishing or fully evolving things they start, though it must be a pain to write Slingplayer apps for connected devices that subsequently become discontinued.

I'm actually surprised they haven't done an app for the Roku box, as that is very popular and unlike the others, has not been discontinued.

tcaradonna Novice

"Give me a proper Slingplayer app for Apple TV and all will be forgiven from me though - but I'm guessing that probably wouldn't be in Apple's best interests since they'd presumably rather people buy from iTunes than stream their cable/satellite content."

Yes, I'd like to see that too. So would slingbox!  After all they already have a product they could tweak to put on it. But as for not being in apple's interest, one could say the same about Netflix, and Hulu and they have those.  (Apple moves in mysterious ways too. ) But still, I feel left high and dry by Slingmedia, who has controll over slingcatcher: Leaving us to rot with ever shrinking solutions.

tcaradonna Novice

@jamesmccourt: Your SlingCatcher works with the new Slingbox350 or 500?  Did you tweak something to get access?    Please explain if there's something I'm missing.

jamesmccourt Novice

Sorry no....I was generally just commenting on the Catcher. Although I use it with the HDS-600RS (only available in the UK) and it's supposed to be incompatible but works just fine.

I'm sure someone soon will discover a work around for the 350 & 500.

BobShanghai Newbie

Out of all the kit that sling produced, Slingcatcher seems to work the most reliably. I cannot understand why it was withdrawn from sale.

It work fine as a media player (from USB drive), fine as a 'catcher. Only it now has become a little "old" technology. BUT IT WORKS!

Hopefully they will do firmware changes to let it work with the new devices.