5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2012 9:32 AM by tcaradonna RSS

Slingbox 350 question

mfranch87

I had bought an older Slingbox SOLO a few weeks back, but was having problems with it connecting outside of my home network. I think it had to do with port forwarding. It also didn't work that good with my WD media hub player as an additional tuner for a basement TV. VERY lagging & slow response. Not to mention how I had to reboot the slingbox SOLO frequently. I didn't have time to fix the port forwarding issue so I wound up just returning the unit for a refund.

My home network is pretty extensive, but its all pretty much hard wired to each room. If I got this new Slingbox 350 player, I will probably have about 3 switches & a router for it to go through before it hits the main cable modem (& goes outside my network). Am I gonna still have to worry about port forwarding with this new 350 unit?  Will this model work better with the WD hub unit? Or is it gonna pretty much be the same experience?

• Re: Slingbox 350 question
          Apprentice

Hello mfranch87,

Those are some great questions! I have good news. You no longer have to setup port forwarding with the new 350 or 500 devices, it does it automatically! In regards to the question about the WD hub unit, are you referring to the WD Live TV hub?

Have a great day!

Best Regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

mfranch87

glad to hear it performs the port forwarding automatically. Will it do this before numerous switches (about 3) first before it actually goes through my main router? Will it do it automatically with a router that has custom firmware (A Linksys WRT54G with Tomato firmware)?

And yes, I was referring to the Western Digital Live TV hub. Will the 350 perform better in conjuctuion with the WD Hub?

Apprentice

Hello mfranch87,

Thank you for following up. With the port forwarding it will still automatically configure the port even with the switches setup. In regards to the Western Digital Live TV hub, both the 350 and the 500 models are compatible.

Hope this helps!

The Sling Moderation Team

mfranch87

I just hope the performance with the WD Hub works better with this 350 unit than it did with the SOLO. With my WD hub and SOLO used together, picture quality was not good and control respone severely lagged. It took a good 7-10 seconds to simply change a channel. And I had all the equipment hard wired in my home network.

I have also thought about getting the new Slingbox 500. From what I can initally tell, the main differences are the following:

• multiple inputs (up to two sources)
                      • HDMI input
                      • HDMI output

Are there any other additional features of the Slingbox 500 over the 350?

tcaradonna Novice

Additional in Slingbox 500:

-Wifi networking (in addition to the ethernet)

-Yes there is HDMI, but it cannot pass HDCP encryption (this depends on the source hardware).  Therefore slingmedia strongly encourages setting up component as a backup.

-Not really multiple inputs because there is only one audio input.  Yeah, weird.  You can get a maxium of 2 distinct sources if you can manage a working HDMI and then use a second analog signal(component or composite).  The other way to get multiple inputs is to pass the signal thru a home theater system that manages the inputs.  But that is a convoluted solution.

-IR remote for setup (not sure right now what else you can do with it)