19 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2012 12:33 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Not able to change channels

ACC504852 Newbie

I am using a Motorola VIP 1963 cablebox and it was working just fine before the upgrade. I didn't have the spec tpo choose from but it worked fine when I chose Motorola Zaptor. After the upgrade it's not possible to change channels using ANY of the various versions of IR remote. ??????

Am I the only one experiencing this problem?

/Anders

• Re: Not able to change channels
            ACC504852 Newbie

Hi again,

Thanks for the reply.I thought I posted a reply earlier but it didn't show up.

No, I haven't tried it and I'm assuming that I should just download and install and it will automatically update the web browsers that I use? Do I have to do that on all the computers that are connected to my SlingBox?

Thanks.

/A

ACC504852 Newbie

Hi again,

I've tried the instructions but there's no instruction on how to upload the bin files on a Mac for web watching. ??? I don't see why we have to be engineers to be able to solve this kind of thing. Why can't Sling Media include all cable boxes on their list????

/Anders

alanrichey42 Master
                  I've tried the instructions but there's no instruction on how to upload the bin files on a Mac for web watching. ???

That's why you should never double-post   I answered this on your other post.   I quote:  "The actual binary file is downloaded into the Slingbox itself, so it doesn't matter what viewing system you use."

Why can't Sling Media include all cable boxes on their list????

I guess there are just too many and the system they use to provide remotes is just too slow and unresponsive.

ACC504852 Newbie

Hi,

Thought you'd abandoned this question. Sorry for the double posting. So if I understand you correctly I'm to write the same path as for the PC? C:\\.... even though I'm on a Mac?

/Anders

alanrichey42 Master
                          Thought you'd abandoned this question. Sorry for the double posting. So if I understand you correctly I'm to write the same path as for the PC? C:\\.... even though I'm on a Mac

Are you reading the same set of instructions as me ?   The set I get specifically gives instructions for the Mac:

Mac version:
                               ------------
                               Put the two files into your /Applications/SlingPlayer/Contents/Slingbox Setup Assistant     
                               /Contents/Resources/SBAV/ folder
                               (Note that The Contents dirs won't show up unless you do a "Right-Click -> Show Package
                                Contents" when navigating into an app's "Contents" directory.)

ACC504852 Newbie

Just to point out that I want to install for web watching. The standalone doesn't work as I have an HD cable box.

Thanks!

alanrichey42 Master
                              Just to point out that I want to install for web watching.

Give me a break, I've already answered this question twice.

When you install the remote, regardless of how you do it, you actually download it to the Slingbox itself.  After that, ANY viewing system (Slingplayer, SlingCatcher, WebSlingPlayer, SlingPlayer Mobile,.,,) will access and use that remote.  That is why you only run that setup once and not every time for every single PC you use to watch.

Do you understand now ?

The standalone doesn't work as I have an HD cable box

Who told you that ?   As far as I know the standalone player works with everything (except the new 350/500 Slingboxes) and is superior to the web versions.

ACC504852 Newbie

Thanks for the answers. Will try it out.

Sorry to make you repeat stuff. Not very good at this.

/Anders

ACC504852 Newbie

Hi,

My name is Cynthia and I'll be taking over trying to solve this remote problem as Anders is out of town.

Anyway, I did all those things that you mentioned in your earlier posts both on my own Mac and now on my work PC. The remote that was generated did not work. I tried to access the page for building own remotes but the page doesn't exist. So I'd like to know if there is an alternative solution. This box is the Sling Solo and is about 3 years old and we've had problems with it now and then but since Slingmedia.com back then started the watch online service most glitches could be fixedeven when not in the same room as the box.

These are the specs of the box:

Slingbox Info

Slingbox Name: Anders2012
                                    Slingbox ID: 981AA1E7CCA8FC418F5AC4F86AB9D93E
                                    Slingbox Software Version: 2.1.250

Internet Viewing

Set Up Complete: Yes
                                    Slingbox Public IP Address: 213.89.114.184
                                    Slingbox Private IP Address: 10.0.1.254
                                    Slingbox Port: 5001

Slingbox Access Info

Activation Date: 10-22-2009
                                    Date Last Accessed: 10-16-2012

Thankful for any help!

Sincerely

Cynthia

alanrichey42 Master
                                        My name is Cynthia and I'll be taking over trying to solve this remote problem as Anders is out of town.

Anyway, I did all those things that you mentioned in your earlier posts both on my own Mac and now on my work PC. The remote that was generated did not work.

OK, well you don't appear to have read the instructions for the Custom Remote properly.   The very first line is:

"...IMPORTANT:  If you have any problems PLEASE read ALL of this file before you post a question on the forums.  In particular, if you just reply that 'it doesn't work' you probably wont get any furtherassistance.,,"

So please read them in full and then come back.

ACC504852 Newbie

Hi alarichey,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, I have read everything and maybe I should have stated that.

1. There was no error message.

2. As the instructions say that sometimes the power button doesn't work with all devices I didn't think too much about that not working when I was doing it in front of the box last night. And when I just continued on it says installation was successful.

3. When I press any of the other buttons there's a slight flicker but the channel doesn't change. The running text at the bottom of the screen just says "optimizing". I waited but nothing changed.

4. The IR blasters have worked before prior to this upgrade so no reason to move them but I can do that tonight just to test it.

5. And yes the device works fine with the real remote. The box is less than 4 months old.

6. No, I can't find the page to build my own remote.

Thank you.

Cynthia

ACC504852 Newbie

Solved.