5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2010 10:00 AM by bsuttonmci RSS

Slingbox setup help

ACC396379

I've got a cable modem going to a wired router. That router is hooked to my apple airport express, my TiVo, and my slingbox.

The slingbox lights are all solid...but my computer (wirelessly connected to the airport express) can't seem to find the slingbox.

Any ideas?

• Re: Slingbox setup help
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Have you tried doing a hard reset on the Slingbox ?

- Az

ACC396379

Yep! When I launch the sling directory I got nothing.

Any other ideas?

-mc

I've seen this before with the AP Express, it comes down to whether it's set to behave as a gateway router, a wireless access point or a bridge.  You need it to be an access point, right now it's a router.  AP Express is very cool, but like you said it's weird.

This support doc has the right idea but approaches your problem from the wrong direction.  I'll look up the right stuff later tonight when I've got a few minutes and post back.

If you want to beat me to it, the trick is configuring the AP Express so it's not running NAT or putting up a firewall (your wired router is doing that already).  Right now, it's a router behind a router.  Your computer is connected to the AP Express and walled off from anything on the LAN on the other side.  Your wired router is doing the same thing between your LAN and the public internet.  Your Slingbox is in between, that's why your computer can't see it.

Back with more later,

- Az

Alright, I think I got it. 

- Go into your Airport Base Station Utility and jump into your Airport Express settings.

- On the Internet tab, make sure it's set for Connect Using: Ethernet and Configure: Using DHCP.

- On the Network tab, make sure Distribute IP addresses is NOT checked:

Picture 5.png

(Click to Enlarge)

Update and finish up, that should do it.  You'll probably need to restart your computer so it catches the network changes.

Hope this helps,

- Az

bsuttonmci

I am having setup issues also, I allready connected one to my network but my second one reconized on the network but when I go to setup it gets stuck on the screen and just says (loading) and the circle is moving but won't ever go to the next step, I have left it on over night, never goes to the next part, firewall is off