5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2013 1:11 PM by tcaradonna RSS

Does SlingCatcher work with New 350 or 500 and if so what is the resolution

alanjudy

I've not found any mention of this.  The new Slingbox 350 and 500 state support for 1080p.   The question is can the Slingcatcher handle this and provide a higher quality picture than the Slingbox HD.  Anyone play with this yet or has anyone seen any comments from Slingmedia on this yet.

• Re: Does SlingCatcher work with New 350 or 500 and if so what is the resolution
          OvCollyer Apprentice

The maximum resolution supported by the Slingcatcher is 1280 x 540......which isn't quite 720p, let alone 1080p so I doubt upgrading from a Pro-HD to one of these new boxes will result in a better picture on the SC, unless they've generally improved the quality of the encoding or something without requiring an upgrade to the SC firmware (fat chance of that!)

Besides, I've no idea if the Slingcatcher is even supported by the 350 and the 500; in typical Sling-style with all things SlingCatcher, it's not mentioned on the compatibility list, as if they want to forget it ever happened/they ever made it.

Just like they never bothered telling anyone when they quietly dropped it, instead just sneakily hiding it away on the site.

Which is unfortunate, because its one of the best things they ever did make, in my humble opinion.

• Re: Does SlingCatcher work with New 350 or 500 and if so what is the resolution
            rpmiles Newbie

I can confirm that my slingcatcher does not work with my new Slingbox 500. A half-assed workaround is to use the ipad slingplayer  app connected to the TV set via the apple hdmi connector. It works this way, but the resolution is not very good

tcaradonna Novice

I'm suprised the ipad doesn't give better results.  What is the resolution of the ipad app?  Which ipad version?

I still use my pro-hd to slingcatcher for my main watching, but I'm betting slingmedia will do something to break this setup before the hardware itself breaks.  I was actually considering the ipad to airplay(via AppleTV) as a solution for when this day comes (basically the same as what you have).  Your post leads me to believe this my not be the solution I'm looking for.