8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2012 10:38 PM by t_caradonna RSS

Maximum Bandwidth Higher on the New 350 and 500 models?

Michael2000

On the Slingbox Pro HD, the maximum bandwidth I could get out of it was about 8 Mbps on a Local Area Network for place shifting using my laptop, which the Slingbox is very handy for.  That wasn't enough for good quality HD thogh.  I would call it more like DVD+, than HD.  Based on my experience with a video recording product, I think you need more like 15-20 Mbps for really good HD compressed on the fly.  Anyone heard if they upped the maximum Mbps limit on the new 350 and 500 models?

Michael

• Re: Maximum Bandwidth Higher on the New 350 and 500 models?
          OvCollyer Apprentice

I don't know the answer but I agree with you about the quality.

The stream quality from a Pro-HD never really feels like true HD. Even though I know they stream at 1080i or 720p, the compression they use tends to give a result that doesn't compare with HD direct from a satellite provider which is much crisper and sharper.

It would make the new Slingboxes a potentially much more attractive proposition if they had raised the bar for people with higher upload capabilities.

arskiracer

So I can't seem to post or reply in any of the SB500 or SB350 forum areas.  The only option I can find is to hijack someone else's post, so here I am.  Anyone know why I can't create a new discussion in the SB500 area?  Someone else seemed to be able to create a new post in the SB350 section recently, but I can't create one myself and I cant reply to theirs.  What am I missing?

The actual question that I want to post is this: my slingcatcher wants a slingbox password and the new SB500 doesn't seem to have a slingbox password, it just logs directly into the slingbox account unlike the old models.  Any ideas on how to get the sling catcher working with the SB500?

If someone knows how I can move this post into the SB500 area, please let me know

Thanks,

Adrian

EuroTVLink.com Newbie

Slingbox 350 and 500 won't work with SlingCatcher. You need to use Google TV, Boxee or WDTV Live instead.

arskiracer

That's dumb.  If slingbox would just make the sling catcher firmware open source, I'm sure it wouldn't take more than 5 minutes to remove the slingbox password requirement so everyone could use the slingcatcher with their new slingboxes.

How about it slingbox?  Will you make the slingcatcher firmware open source?

t_caradonna

Hijack thread, sorry about that...

Same issue with slingcatcher & 500.  Same issue with starting new threads in 500 forum.

Yes, released source code or provide update.  It is noteworthy that boxeebox is discontinued.  Yet another client platform casualty.  Please maintain support for the slingcatcher owners.  I assure you these are your most loyal customers.

On the issue of the original poster, the question really wasn't answered.  Of course 1080i will consume a higher bandwidth requirement.  That requirement is only relevant to your internet access speeds.  Consider how fast transfers happen accross the same network.   On my pro-hd I can get 6000bps locally, which is far faster than my internet connect will support for remote viewing.  I can reliably see a 1080p signal from the the slingbox at 2000.  Therefore the bottleneck is your conection, not the box itself.  That was the case with the prev generation (pro-hd), and I'm sure it's the same now with the 350/500.