2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2012 11:38 AM by apudapus RSS

Slingbox on the same network as a proxy server

apudapus

I have my Slingbox Pro-HD on the same network as my home proxy server.  I can connect to the Slingbox on the internal network and I can connect to the Slingbox over the internet.  I only run into a problem when I am outside my home network, connect to the proxy server over the internet (because streaming media is blocked where I am at), and connect to the Slingbox over the internet.  The website says "There was an error connecting to your Slingbox. Please check your computer's DNS settings and try again."

This exact same setup used to work before the "New Watch" website went up last week (end of September and early October 2012).  My proxy server at home did not change, my ISP did not change, my router did not change, the settings on my remote computer did not change.  The only thing that changed were the "Slingbox" website and what I assume were firmware updates to the actual Slingbox.

I have done network engineering (both hardware and software) for a few years so I know my way around computer networks.  I am almost ready to run Wireshark to start snooping at packets on both the internal and remote networks to see what's going on.

• Re: Slingbox on the same network as a proxy server
          guyslann

I have the exact same problem and have called slingbox technical support twice.  Neither "technician" had a clue and even admitted that they had no experience with proxy servers.  This is a known issue that Slingbox has shown no interest in answering.  It has been 2 months since your post and NO answer to you either.  If Slingbox has any interest in serving their customers please answer the above question.

• Re: Slingbox on the same network as a proxy server
              apudapus

I had a chat with technical support and they were no help.  They kept saying the problem was my proxy server.  The proxy server is definitely doing it's job because it's allowing me to to write this reply (my work blocks the Slingbox website because it's a streaming site).

I hope another company comes around offering the same things that Slingbox does.  I'll definitely switch over.