4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2010 6:51 AM by myourd RSS

Watching the same channels in my mac as the TV...is that connection right?

kekito123

Ok, I dont know if I connected this Slingbox Solo right or not? Im sitting in the living room with my mac laptop on. The TV where the Slingbox is connected to is on as well. I want to watch a different channel than the one on the TV but when I change the channels on the Slingbox in my mac, the TV channels change as well. Is this supposed to happen? I dont want to watch the same channel as the one on the TV.

Please help...

• Re: Watching the same channels in my mac as the TV...is that connection right?
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

HI Kekito,

Nothing is wrong, you did everything right- that's how Slingbox works.

Think of it this way... Slingbox is a TV.  It's a normal television without a screen- it borrows your computer for that.  It has the same capabilities and limitations as any other regular TV.  The problem you're running into is that you're sharing one video source between two displays.

Let's say you used a splitter to hook two regular TVs up to one cable box.  The same channel with be on both screens, right ?  The cable box can only output one channel at a time.

If you want to watch two different channels you need two cable boxes, one for each TV.

Hope this helps,

- Az

• Re: Watching the same channels in my mac as the TV...is that connection right?
              kekito123

so you're saying that if i get let's say, a converter..(because this tv is connected to a dvr box now) then I can watch two different channels? I have another question. If someone is at home watching the tv that the slingbox is connected to and im am somewhere else, then i would need to have the slingbox connected to the converter so i can watch it online and not disturb the person at home?

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Kekito,

... if i get ... a converter ... then I can watch two different channels?

Maybe.  It sounds like you're on the right track now, but I'm not sure what you mean by Converter. I don't want to guess and end up offering you stinky advice. 

Tell me more about the converter you're thinking of please.  If you have a brand and model in mind, that would be helpful but I don't need it.

If someone is at home ... and im am somewhere else, then i would need to have the slingbox connected to the converter so i can watch it online and not disturb the person at home?

If the converter is a second, separate video source that doesn't rely on what the person at home is using-- for example, the DVR you mentioned-- then you are correct.  You can watch the converter while the person at home can watch the DVR, and nobody gets disturbed.

I can give you a much better answer once I have a clear idea of what type of converter you're thinking of.

- Az

myourd

The Slingbox Pro HD has a built in tuner though, correct? Meaning that if I split the coax before the cable box, and run it to both the cable box and to my SB Pro HD that I should be able to watch some programming on my laptop without interfering with what is being watched on the TV?

If this is true, I have a question about how to set it up. Right now the slingbox is working as it should, and I can watch the same programming that is being watched on my TV. However, when I am trying to set up the Coax input, its not finding a signal. Do you know what the issue could be here? What troubleshooting could I do to figure this out? Thanks in advance!

-Matt