4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2012 3:55 PM by larrygeary RSS

Video Quality, Sound Sync Problems

larrygeary

I'm a new user. I set up my PRO-HD yesterday and connected it to my DirecTV HR24. I am streaming over my home network to a PC in another room. There is no TV connected to the Slingbox. Everything works.

However, the video quality does not seem to be HD, even though I am viewing on a 1920x1080 monitor. I've streamed HD from Netflix so I know what it should look like, and the Slingbox video quality falls short. I note that the streaming rate is only 8,000Kbps MAX, while HD would be, I think, much higher. My HR24 claims it is putting out 1080i. I've tried both a direct Ethernet connection and a WiFi range extender, and both give me the same bitrate.

The other issue is that I am seeing a 15 second delay between the video and sound. I saw this under Firefox. I made a new setup under Internet Explorer, and the audio sync problem went away, but seemed to reappear when I changed to another channel. I'm not sure now if it's just an intermittent problem or not. Right now I'm not seeing it.

Can someone tell me if this sounds like a problem, and if so, where I can look for a solution? I'd like to improve the video quality first, if that's possible.

• Re: Video Quality, Sound Sync Problems
          gmoney Newbie

The PRO-HD maxes out at:

• 1920x544 @ 30 FPS for 1080i sources
          • 1280x720 @ 30 FPS for 720p sources

As for the audio sync issues, that's typically fixed by updating your BIOS, and video, netowkr and/or audio drivers.

If that does not help, please say so...

larrygeary

Thanks. From your answer, and another post indicating that 8000Kbps is the max streaming rate, it seems I'm getting all the system is capable of giving. My PC is old, and beyond updating the BIOS or anything else. What I can do is tweak my monitor for an improved picture.

Vifa84 Newbie

It's not going to be the same as watching the hdmi from the set top box.  too much compression

larrygeary

I think I've found a solution to the audio sync problem. I had been using Firefox with several extensions and plug-ins. I switched to Internet Explorer, and the sound seemed to be OK at first, but then went out of sync again. I found an option in IE to disable all plug-ins, so I did so. I also am using the pop-up player now. The audio now stays in sync. Using the pop-up player may have nothing to do with it, but since the video output is not full 1080 HD, the slightly smaller screen size seems to work better, at least for me.