6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2012 6:24 PM by senatormb RSS

Latest SlingPlayer DNS Issue

BillyVanilli

Hello,

I am going crazy here. As a lot of other people I had trouble using the web sling player during the last few days. With the latest update I can't connect to the slingbox anymore. After loggin into the slingbox website when it tries to connect to the box I always get an error message that I should check the DNS settings on my computer and try it again.

Here are the facts:

1.) It was working fine till the update.

2.) It still is working on other computers in the same home network even with the new player (but not the one hooked to my tv).

3,) It is working with the old stand alone player even on that tv computer.

4.) Internet works fine. DNS is handled by the router.

Here is what I did:

1.) I uninstalled everything connected to sling, rebooted and only installed the player for IE explorer ->same issue

2.) I changed the LAN ports at the router between a working pc and the not working one (you never know...) -> same issue

3.) I tried using openDNS for the pc with the issue. -> but still nothing changed

I was using the old player plug in over an proxy server. i don't know if that could have anything to do w/ the issue. but since I deleted everything this should not be the case.

Does anyone has suggestions what else I could try to light up my living room w/ american tv again ?

Thanks for your help!

Bastian

• Re: Latest SlingPlayer DNS Issue
          gmoney Newbie

Are the other computers streaming on the LAN - they have a Green light by the Slingbox name in the Directory and "LAN = ON" in the Details?

If this one computer does not display a Green light, do you have an odd double-routing setup?  If the Slingobx does not appear on the LAN to the computer, the SlingPlayer could be trying to connect via WAN information and using those associated services.

Try manually setting the DNS information on the problematic computer.  A DNS error can also mean that the client cannot connect to one of the required backend services.

Do you have to configure proxy settings on your computer?  If so, how?  Via what UI?

BillyVanilli

Thanks for your reply!

Are the other computers streaming on the LAN - they have a Green light  by the Slingbox name in the Directory and "LAN = ON" in the Details?

They do have a green light and it says "Guest connected" and "network status LAN OFF".

do you have an odd double-routing setup?

No. Only one router and that is it.

If the Slingobx does not appear on the LAN to the computer, the  SlingPlayer could be trying to connect via WAN information and using  those associated services.

The slingbox is not in my LAN. And as I wrote it worked fine w/ the old plugin and it still works w/ the old stand alone player on that computer.

Try manually setting the DNS information on the problematic computer

That was my thinking too. But as I wrote in my first post I tried that w/ no change in behaviour.

A DNS error can also mean that the client cannot connect to one of the required backend services.

Any ideas what I could do if that would be the case?

Do you have to configure proxy settings on your computer?  If so, how?  Via what UI?

There is no proxy configuration through the computer itself. The proxy was set in the user interface of the old player. With the new player on my other computers I didn't fnd where I could put in the proxy.

gmoney Newbie

I'm sorry, but setting a proxy could not make it in the updated site.

I know they are working on implementing this functionality, but I don't know when it will happen.

Again, I'm sorry that this has broken for you and probably for some other users.

BillyVanilli

Okay I fixed this issue myself. In case anyone else has the same problem, here is what I did.

0.) All my deinstalling and playing around w/ my DNS settings was for nothing and didn't help at all.

1.) I did set the language/localisation of the website from US/North America to DE/Germany.

2.) I logged in. Well i did type my email and my password a couple of times but always ended up at the login page again. Then I just restarted the browser.

3.) The old "watch" interface appeard and I was able to go to settings and delete my proxy server information.

Then it worked. I did set back the language to US and the newwatch worked as well.

I think it doesn't show the best kind of updating/coding structure if your update still makes use of settings of an older version but doesn't let you change it.

By the way this just fixed my DNS issue. It didn't help w/ the quality problems and the horrible using experience of the last few days.

Bastian