14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2017 12:12 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Is Slingbox Solo obsolete?

ACC473885

I haven't used my Solo box for a while, but I did pay for it and purchased the app for my ipad. Neither of these Slings work now. I see FREE slingbox apps for both my iphone and my ipad now and none of those work for me either, what gives? And Sling won't talk to anyone who isn't paying? And if I paid them, who's to say they could get these things to work? Anyone have any ideas? I see posts from others with similar problems, but I don't see any answers. What am I missing?

• Re: Is Slingbox Solo obsolete?
          alanrichey42 Master

Can't help as you haven't told us what is wrong.   I am quite happily using my Solo so it definitely isn't obsolete.

ACC473885

Oh, wow! I'm so happy to hear from you.

Oh my heavens, you have made my day. I kept getting this message.

Sorry, we do not support setup on browser anymore. Please click below link to download 'SlingPlayerDesktop' application to configure/re-configure your Slingbox.

http://www.slingbox.com/Products/SlingplayerApps

and when I downloaded the app I got some other message that said the Solo was no longer supported which made me think my Solo was dead.

In any event, with your encouragement (since yours works!) I redoubled my efforts, problem solved my way through, finally realized I needed to download the desktop viewer (or something like that) and it all works.

I'm beside myself with excitement!

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!

K

alanrichey42 Master

Good, glad I could help.   Just so you understand why this all happened (and anyone else who finds the same problem) this was the sorry sequence of the events that got you into this mess.

1.  A few weeks ago, without telling anyone.  Sling decided to remove 'viewing' support from the Desktop app for all boxes except the M1/M2.

2.  At the same time they removed 'configure' support from the browser player for all boxes.   So now you have to use the Desktop app to configure your box and the browser app to view it.

3.  Unfortunately they botched it rather and caused a lot of old boxes to lose the configuration in the switchover process.

So, when you first started your Solo in the browser, it thought your box was unconfigured so sent you the message that configuring was no longer supported and you needed to use the Desktop app.   And when you first started the Desktop app it warned you the Solo was not supported, but what it actually meant was that viewing was not supported.   Luckily, once you figured it out that you could still configure the box and then watch on the browser then you were good to go.

It was just a poorly implemented switch by Sling I'm afraid.

Al

ACC473885

Al,

You are my hero! Not only for solving my problem, but for explaining all that went on.

The only thing I could find on the forum anyplace about the Solo were from 2014 or so maybe even longer ago and I felt that all was lost!

Again, thank you.

K

alanrichey42 Master

Thanks, although apparently I am "...as useful as a chocolate teapot.."

See the penultimate post in Remote control for Sky Q 

Al

ACC473885

Al, apparently, I spoke too soon.

Yes, my Solo still works and I'm able to bring up apps and live TV in both, I can't figure out how to see my recorded programs. I just get "Gallery" with all those apps and by accident sometimes, I can get "Live TV", I think that's when I click on one of the apps, but how do I get my recorded shows?

And currently the only guide I can get is in Spanish.

Thanks,

K

alanrichey42 Master

What platform are you viewing on ?    Surely you just press the same buttons on the virtual remote image that you would on the 'real' remote ?

ACC473885

When you say platform, I don't know what you mean? If you mean on my Mac computer, iPad or iPhone, on any of these, it's the same.

I do have the virtual remote on my screen on all of these device and I can change channels and go to "guide" and search and settings and live TV and all that works, but the way my Sling used to work was that I would get the same readout I get on my TV of my recorded programs.

I can't see any way to access that at this point.

K

alanrichey42 Master

It was your expression 'apps & Live TV' that confused me, I thought you might be using a third party box like the Amazon Fire.   But if you are using the Mac/iPad then I am not sure I can help.   When you tap a button on the remote image it sends the same IR code as when you tap a button on the real remote, so in theory you should get an identical response.  Having said that, I have heard of boxes that send different outputs to the 'secondary' output (component/composite) on the back of the box compared with the primary (HDMI) output.   The way to test this is to take the video cables from the back of the Solo and plug them in to a TV and see what happens.   If you get the same symptoms then the Solo is blameless.  If it all works OK we will have to think of something else.

ACC473885

Alan:

Everything was fine and now it's not. Both my ipad and my iPhone now give me the error message that the slingplayer cannot connect to my slingbox. Please make sur eyour phone and slingbox are connected to the internet and try again.

My computer with the slingplayer is online and so are my iPad and my iPhone. I cannot imagine what's going on. My slingbox light is on.

I tried playing my slingbox on my computer and it worked so it's connected. When I went back to my phone after trying that, I seemed to get on because I got the message saying another viewer is using your account (or something like that), do you want to disconnect the user? When I said "yes", I thought that meant slingbox would work on my phone, but then I got the message again:  Slingplayer cannot connect to your Slingbox. Make sure your phone and slingbox are connected to the internet and try again.

What do you think?

Thanks.

K

ACC473885

Oh wow, I see that going back and editing the message to add insights isn't the way to go as I don't see the intel there.

What I added was that by accident, I managed to get the list button on the virtual remote on the iMac to respond and then I got a list. And that seemed to influence the list buttons on the other devices, so all is well, now.

All along the virtual remotes would work...change channels and the like, just couldn't find the list of my recorded programs.

I think getting the "List" button to respond (which it wouldn't on the iPad and iPhone) was the answer.

Again thank you for your time.

K