59 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2013 2:36 PM by dsawyer811 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

New browser plug-ins (1.5.12.724) have degraded the video image.

rwatt11

I received notification that the plug-ins for both Google Chrome 22 and IE 9 on my Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit computer needed to be updated. After doing so, the video image is not as sharp as before. Lines are jagged, text is jagged and somewhat fuzzier, etc. Nothing else has changed. Plug-in version appears to be 1.5.12.724 for both browsers. Not an improvement in my opinion. Image quality is worse.

No problems with upload stream. Uploads are running around 3-4 Mbps from my SlingBox Pro HD. Quality is set to "Best/HD". Anyone else notice this?

• Re: New browser plug-ins (1.5.12.724) have degraded the video image.
          KingOfNoBid

I am having a different problem than yours with the new plug-in, but the rest of your comments apply to me as well.  No problems before the plug-in upgrade and now I get horizontal lines on the right side of the video.  The full, correct video is shown, but now crunched a bit to the let with the horizontal lines extending the last pixel to the right.  See below.  Tried different video quality levels (including auto) and only had a little joy with Minimal (but not always).image.jpg

Have spent a time trouble shooting and searching the web with no joy.  Any thoughts??

ACC161393

My audio is choppy and the video is increasingly slow.  To the point that everything is out of sync.  I am furious that no one is addressing this widespread issue.  A reversal to the update should be issued immediately until this is beta tested more extensively.

wmcgrath

After the forced update tonight, my video and audio drift in and out of sync.  Very annoying, worse if you are watching further back in the buffer than if "live".

Using web player in Firefox and Chrome latest versions (both do the same thing) on Windows 7, 64bit.  Was so happy for the last several months, watch it almost every night.  Why did you break it?  If you have the same problem please take the time to comment, can't believe I am the only one.  Please revert to the last version or figure out why this is happening.  The loss of resolution has been noticed as well, but the bigger problem is when the video / audio are out of sync.  Please fix, why do you update with a bad version during the first night of the new season of shows?

Tried restarting computer and slingbox, neither solved the problem, can hear the audio skipping and is the one behind the video.  Watching someone get shot and then hearing it happen later.

What attracted me to the Sling Pro HD was the non recurring monthy fee, but now it is almost useless.   Doesn't seem to matter if I fullscreen the video.  Moving the slider temporarily will fix, but within a minute it is out again.

Can't understand why you would allow a version like this replace a formerly working version!  Inadequate beta test!

blauschild

My video and audio were in sync, HD was great for months, and I was happily recommending The pro-HD and web player to fríends.  After  the mandatory update -- no AV sync, stuttering video, and loud noise fading in and out.  I called Sling and was told a) no complaints so far about The new plug-ins, b) The fault was on my end, and c) they could get my setup working again for $29.  Great customer service -- not!  Can't find any way around the destructive update.

mattdirks

I am having a similar problem.  I have Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) and cannot watch video at all anymore.

It is definitely not my connection because Slingplayer on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and iPad both work fine and I tried all three browsers on my laptop.  The plug-ins won't achieve speeds over 115k, which obviously is not enough for me to see video...all I get is an audio signal.

Tried on my Mac and the same issue.

Someone please fix this ASAP!

Message was edited by: mattdirks

jcantanixon

Similar problem since the plugin updates.  Can't connect to my Slingbox anymore...I know the Slingbox is still  setup correctly because I can watch it from my mobile device..just not  any of my PCs.  They broke it with the new browser plugins.

Expert

Hey all - we're aware of this issue and our engineers are looking into a fix. We'll update this post ASAP as soon as we hear more from the engineering team.

Our apologies for breaking this!

Best

The Sling Support Team

iliasl

In my case in the new version the picture is cropped when high quality settings are used...

As if the player  zooms in and then crops the outer edges. I tried all possible aspect ratios.

Note:

• this cropping only happens at high quality settings"Better, Best or Best/HD". The picture is NOT cropped at "Minimal, Good" quality settings.
                          • The source is digital antenna (dvb-t)
                          • the picture is cropped at all aspect ratios (A, L , P, W...).
                          • this didn';t happen with the previous version of the web plugin
                          • the same problem happens with the destkop application (SlingPlayer.exe)

I am attaching two pictures. As you see in higher quality settings the image is zoomed and cropped.

one.jpgtwo.jpg

Expert

Thanks for these details! We're still trying to identify exactly why this is impacting certain customers. It only seems to be affecting a smaller percentage, so any system-level details you can provide would be helpful in narrowing the issue down - things like:

• Operating system
                              • Browser version
                              • Processor/RAM
                              • Video Card/Driver
                              • What video source you're trying to stream when issue occurs

Thanks folks - again, our apologies for the headache!

Sling Support

iliasl

Hi Dana,

About the cropping (zoomed-in picture)

I am streaming DVB-T (digital terestial TV) with the build-in dvb-t receiver of the slingbox pro (from Greece).

The problem only appears in my windows 7 machine and when high/HD quality is selected.

This machine is:

windows 7

Nvidia 570gts

i7-920,6gb ram

All windows-based browsers are affected (I tried chrome, IE, firefox). Furthermore, the slingPlayer.exe standalone app also has the same problem.

It used to work fine with the previous version of the web plug-in. I also do not have a problem when viewing on my Mac.

ramman

I have noticed the audio/video non sync since the upgrade. It seems to happen after I change channels. I have IE, firefox and chrome all install with the latest pluggins and they all do the same thing. Slingbox HD set to auto.

dsawyer811

HI Dana,

I haven't posted to this forum before now.  Since I see that SlingMedia is making an effort to correct this here's my info --

I'm having the issue with the distorted video when I move my slingplayer video to my secondary montior.  It works fine on my laptop.

O/S - Win 7 644bit

Browser - Chrome Ver 22.0.1229.79 m

Processor -  Intel i5 M460 @2.53GHz

RAM - 4 GB

Video card for Second monitor:

Video Card - Nvidia GeForce GT 425M

Driver - 306.23

Video card for Laptop:

Built-in Intel HD Graphics

Driver - 8.15.10.2361

Video Source - DirecTV HD through Composite cables

Using SlingBox SOLO

Additional Note: Also when I put the slingplayer screen in Full screen Mode, the pointer is no longer visible on the Browser.  Other Apps appear to be fine but you can no longer see the pointer in the browser although it's still there as you move around the browser hyper-link areas will highlight.

Thanks

rwatt11

Here's my system details:

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit

Internet Explorer 9 and Google Chrome 22.0.1229.79 m

Intel Core i7 920, 18GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 4800 & 4870 (In Crossfire mode); Driver 8.961.0.0

I'm accessing DirecTV HD through the component video source on my SlingBox Pro HD.

holmsey Newbie

Dana

We are all having huge issues after the new Mac package updates as advertised by Tont.Sling last week. Mine in particular is that it will not let me load by remote control and gets stuck at 5%. It was fine before. Is someone working on this issues as well please? My cable box is a Panasonic TZ-BDW900M for the record.

Regards

AJH

• Re: New browser plug-ins (3.3.18.355) have degraded the video image.
                                            holmsey Newbie

Dana my plugin issues refers to 3.3.18.355

jcrbam802

Dear Slingmedia,

As requested, here are the specs for the systems we hare experiencing this problem with:

• Operating system

Macintosh OS X 10.8.2

• Browser version

Firefox 15.0.1

Safari 6.0.1

Chrome 22.0.1299.94

• Processor/RAM

System 1: iMac 27-inch,late 2009, 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB memory,

System 2: Macbook Pro 13-inch late 2011, 2,8 Ghz intel Core i7, 8GB memory

• Video Card/Driver

System 1: ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB

System 2: Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

• What video source you're trying to stream when issue occurs

S-Video from a Slingbox Pro-HD

holmsey Newbie

Dana

Still not had any reply re the 3.3.18.355 plugin imapcting a bunch of mac users. i cannot load my remote and hence setup the watcg sling player web software. I have tried using OSX 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 now. I have tried numerous panasonic cable box options and none load and get hung at 5%. For the record I need the Panasonic TZ-BDW900M to be available again. It was fine before the new Mac plugin was released. I use Safari v6, OSX 10.8 and 10.6, both Macs (Imac/Macbook) have intel core 2 duo and 4GB of memory.

Please help me and hundreds of others.

Regards

AJH

ramman

Please push an old pluggin đown or make one available until there is a fix ....

Skerce84

I am also having these issues with the latest browser plugin. I stream my HDS-600RS to my PC upstairs. I have a 26" TV as my monitor. I have noticed the stream to be more blocky. I am no longer getting a HD steram even at high bitrates. Before the update the stream quality was very near true to HD on my 37" TV downstairs.

gq1080p

I have the same problem. the new player video quality is really bad, annoying, I feel like I regret to have this slingbox hd because of this new player!!

please give us back the old player (not the last one, the last one has video quality issue too)

mrulisse

New browser plug-in has made my slingbox unwatchable.  I have  realatively slow connection, but the old plugin was working fine.  Now you have taken away my ability to even use my slingbox.  Please allow users to downgrade.

cloneman Newbie

I would really like Sling Media to be more open / allow customers to tweak settings for video quality.

I'm not sure if what we're seeing is interlacing artifacts.

specs, nvidia gtx260, win7 x64

This has always been a problem with me with SlingPlayer for Windows. This is why I use the web player, which did not have this problem, until the new player just arrived.

Here are some screenshots of the problem, which is more evident on TEXT but degrades the picture overall.

example 1

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/570792/_new/new_sling_aliasing.png

example 2 (click to enlarge)

new_sling1[1].png

Slingbox is a product with a LOT to praise but we don't like being kept in the dark for issues like this.

There's also no way to control the bitrate on the web player, or force maximum sound quality. We just close our eyes and press "auto" or "best". We need an advanced menu, even if its in beta.

What about a deinterlace menu? How about telling us how to optimize our setup to avoid uneccesary transcoding?

Lets open the floodgates to discussion as to how to make the sling player experience more stable. There isn't enough information about things of this nature.

Update: I found a way to use the old player by reading the forums, you can click on another country after deleting your cookies (example, Ireland). However, the quality/fuzzy edges problems remain.

What I think is happening is slingmedia is tweaking their codecs, as I've noticed the upload speed decrease as well. In the process they may have changed some settings. I wish they'd give us more control over this.

ACC161393

Hey all... I'm pretty confident this will be upgraded soon.

In the meantime... a few tips I learned on the old player (before 724):

It helps to have the remote up and toggle between full screen and window - especially after controlling the video source.

Be well. Keep slinging.

gq1080p

we need a fix urgently

the new plugin's low quality deinterlace capability is drivng me crazy

nawibo

Hi there

I have the same problems. Video stream and image quality are really bad.

Toshiba Satellite L755 (bought in june 2012)

Intel core i-7

Windows 7 (64bits)

Nvidia GeForce 525M

Firefox, IE, Adobe flash, java latest versions updated

jakester

Having the same problem here. Video lagging severely behind audio, sound cutting in and out, volume jumping up and down drastically, picture cutting out. I used to be able to run the web player at Better quality without a problem, but now that I can't control the speed, my connection cannot keep up with the "Best/HD." Watching DVR'd programs is impossible now due to the technical issues. I was having absolutely no problems before the plugin change, and I would very much appreciate being given the option to downgrade back to a functioning plugin.

OS: Windows 7 32-bit

Browser: Chrome Version 22.0.1229.94 m

Processor/RAM: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58 1.90 GHz/2 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GO 6150

Video Source: Slingbox Pro-HD

gq1080p

Can somone in slingbox team respond to this issue?

we are running out of patience, I have 3 slingboxes and now I want to sell them on ebay and switch to other products.

Expert

Hi - our engineers hope to have a new plugin version out very soon, hopefully this week. In the meantime, here is what they've asked us to post:

How can you help us?

The major change in this release is an all new virtual remote control implementation.  While there should be no visual changes, that means for our customers that the SlingPlayer software in general is more stable (fewer crashes), remotes should no longer get stuck at 5% during downloads, and the virtual remote control should more consistently display in Full-screen mode, among a host of other improvements.

But please note, while this update will make things better and we did externally Beta test it with a lot of customers just like you, we could not find and fix all of the issues with all of the remotes in our large library of devices.

If you encounter any issues such as seeing the wrong "tooltips", blurry remote buttons, or a failure to load, please post to the Answers forum:

•   The Manufacturer and Model of your remote

•   How you configured your remote

•   Screenshot (picture) of what you are seeing

•   Brief description of issue

We are working to resolve any bugs that occur and your feedback helps us make that happen.

Bear in mind, you can always check the What's New area of the forum for the latest release notes and other details.

Thanks - our apologies for the incovenience, we're working to get these issues resolved as quickly as possible for you guys.

The Sling Support Team

janesmw

Why can't Slingbox just let us download the old plug in. I tried and it wouldn't let me. NOTHING but issues since this untested piece of **** update came out. I am in China and depend on this for TV. Past 2 years... No Problem ...... now it just plain ole simply sucks. I have two, main and back up .... ya broke em both! Run Macs and PCs also, issues on both including my ipad.

SLINGBOX - let us choose the plug in that works until you fix this PLEASE.

cloneman Newbie

Thanks for the news.

I have just downloaded the new plugin, and it has resolved the issue that was present in 724

Version 732 of the web player seems to work well.

notice The text is much more uniform.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/570792/_new/sling_firefox_fixed_Sat_20_2012.png

sling_firefox_fixed_Sat_20_2012[1].png

Good job to the sling team on this issue

I would still like to see a few extra controls, such as forcing the audio codec to maximum on both the Android version and the Web version.

Also, it seems to be using less upload, About 3000-3500kbps which is good, better efficiency.

dsawyer811

I have the latest 732 upgrade as well however, it has not fixed my video issue that I'm having when moving myvideo to my second screen.  I still get this video displayed.

ScreenCapture.PNG

cloneman Newbie

Looks like we've all hijacked your thread for a different issue ;=P

I'm guessing your dual display setup has something to do with this

hithere

I have 732 in Chrome and I'm getting the same blurred image on the right side of the screen as the poster above. It started happening after the switch to slingbox.com. The last update to the desktop client had the same issue, but the web viewer had been working wonderfully until now. This sucks. Does Slingbox support ever post here and attempt to resolve this issues?

Also, latest drivers, updates, blah blah blah. Really frustrated here.

gmoney Newbie

If you don't want to be helpful, please don't muddy the waters for people who want a solution.

For those of you still experiecing problems, please do check for the latest drivers because the software is very dependent upon those products to correctly render video on your computer.

If disabling/enabling hardware aceleration is not helping, please post a dxdiag report from your computer.

Thanks.

hithere

Same behavior with hardware acceleration enabled or disabled. Video drivers are the latest. Same problem on display 2 and display 3. See attached.screensmear.png

dxdiag-system.png

dxdiag-display3.png

gmoney Newbie

Thanks.

Can you please "Save All Information" and post that file?

Also, if you have multiple displays attached, does only having one connected make any difference?

[We're not going to easily be able to reproduce multiple displays in our lab.]

hithere

Display 1 is connected directly to the motherboard. Display 2 and 3 are connected to an nVidia Quadro NVS 285 card. If display 1 and 2 are disconnected, display 3 shows the video correctly. I then connected display 2 and left display 3 connected as well. Both screen displayed the video correctly. When I reconnected display 1 so that all were connected again, display 1 showed the video correctly, but the other two screens had the smeared image again.

See attached dxdiag.txt

Also kind of curious why there isn't more focus on development and support for multiple monitors. When this problem first started appearing over a year ago, I remember seeing a similar sentiment from other users on the message boards. Multi-monitor setups are very common, and this is a feature the customer base is obviously interested in having.

gman Apprentice

If I remember correctly, at the time, our user surveys showed that computers with multiple displays were not a majority use cases.  There were definitely some users that had multiple displays, and many of those customers liked the way our native applications handled multiple displays, but we could never get multiple displays working the same way for Mac and Windows users and in my opinion, the implementations could be buggy, inconsistent, and frankly hard to support.

When we moved from native applications to the web, we were hoping to simplify things for the majority of our users; multiple display support was just not a priority.

If it turns out that multiple displays is now a more-common use case for our users, we should look into adding more internal testing, more beta testers with multiple displays, and think about what we can do for the product in this area.

hithere

gman, thanks for the insights. The frustrating part from my perspective is that you guys appear to have had thing working just fine for quite awhile. I used the native app on Windows XP and Windows 7 with multiple monitors for a long time, up until the last update before the web player was rolled out. When I started using the web player, it, too, worked flawlessly until recently. The perception is that you have the technical capability to make it work, but for some reason it keeps breaking again.

dsawyer811

Okay!  That's more like it.  I've received the latest update 1.5.134.743 and it has apparently cleared up my second monitor issue, that I posted on earlier.  Thanks for taking care of this.

However, there is still a problem with the cursor disappearing from the Browser when using the slingplayer in full screen mode and the optimizer seems to kick on and off a lot.  But all in all I'm glad to be watching my b ig screen again.

Dwayne. 

nawibo

Hi there

I found some improvements on the video quality, but I haven't the HD quality (I used to have) back yet. The video is still not completly smooth on my 27' screen. I would say that the new plugin 1.5.12.732 is a step in the right direction but webslingplayer team must continue to improve the video quality.

Give my old HD video quality back !

nawibo

iliasl

The new plug-in also solved my croping problem...

Thanks!

jcantanixon

I'm happy for you guys that had the issue fixed with the new plugin, but I'm still not able to connect to my Slingbox Classic with the latest web plugin.  I've tried different PCs, and both IE and Firefox.  The directory shows my Slingbox in green, but when I try to connect, it fails saying there's a connection problem.  It's definitely the plugin because I can still watch my Slingbox using the Android app (that I refuse to upgrade fearing that it will stop working also).

I guess Sling just wants everyone who owns a Classic to give up and buy a new device.  That's pretty lame.