34 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2012 7:20 AM by swacksman Branched to a new discussion. RSS

1 Green Dot: iPhone 5

pagliaro

I recently purchased the iPhone 5.  When I transfered all of the apps from itunes the sling app did not work properly. When I go into options and look to the left side of my screen there is only one green dot.  Reading the trouble shooting it tells me that may have used the quality button to switch to "SQ".  When I go to the screen to watch tv and bring up the menu "Favorites, Remote, Guide, DVR, Quality, Options" and hit quality it takes me to the quality screen. Once there it won't let me switch from Standard Quality to Auto.  This is on wifi and cellular.  Also, I am with AT&T, I have an app, GIST, that test the speed of my network.  When i am on Cellular it tesll me my speed is around 1000kbps.  When I am watching slingbox on my phone, and I go into "Options" and there is only one green dot above it the speed is 250kbps.  Please Help.  If you already know about the problem.  If it is an apple iOS6 problem.

• Re: 1 Green Dot: iPhone 5
          hilel757

Hi I have the same problem using iOS 5 and 6 and with iPhone 4 and iPad 3. I restarted several times the slingboxes, and deleted and installed again the app. The port forward is ok. I don't know what is happening.

GooDOlTom

I too am am experiencing an issue with my connection via iPhone 5. I've designated for my Slingbox to connect to my 5.0Ghz network and the same goes for my iPhone 5. Currently my network connection exceeds 59.mbps with an upload of 11mbps and I've also properly forwarded the ports on my Netgear 3700. Suggestions?

Zeppo

Suddenly last night I started having the same problem on the iPhone app when using it on my original iPad when I am on the same local network as the slingbox.

The app on my iPhone 4S works fine, with all three quality choices available. But on my iPad, only SQ is selectable: Auto and HQ are greyed out. Even if I go into the main options and select to have it use HQ over wifi, it still only allows SQ and gives me one green dot. What's super weird is that even with the one green dot, I will see connection speeds upwards of 1500 Kbps in the app.

I have deleted and re-downloaded the app and restarted the entire network system including the slingbox with no positive effect. Any assistance would be appreciated.

hilel757

Answer from slingbox:

Thanks for reaching out to us in the land of the Forums.  Due to a back-end issue with the relay between the app and the Slingbox, our Sling technicians have disabled the HQ streaming option temporarily.  Please be advised that this is only temporary while we investigate the ongoing situation.  We 100% apologize for this inconvenience, and thank you for your patience, while we diligently work on getting this issue resolved.

With Kind Regards,

The Slingbox Moderation Team

drm31078

Same problem here...iPhone 3GS with iOS5...had 3 green dots last week, 1 green dot today....hopefully this gets resolved quickly.

dlalla

I suspect Sling - This is driving me bananas

I had the same problem. My iPad and iPhone would no longer send to Airplay (audio only)

So I ended up completely redoing my entire Airport Extreme / 2 Expresses / Apple TV and more on my network

Still 1 green light

Runs fine on my laptop, I get full HD and more than 4 MBPs (my upload is only 2 so I know it's working on my LAN)

But my iPad and iPhone 4 are maxing out at about 2MPBS and only ever get up to SQ - HQ and Auto options are greyed out

Spend 3 hours of my life trying to troubleshoot this and have concluded it's out of my hands

I also tried the 'set up another Slingbox alias' trick that refers directly to the ip address of my SB and port 5001

I also used several websites to confirm my port 5001 is open

Also completely reset and reconfigured everything on my slingbox from scratch

Also removed all switched from the equation

Still 1 green light, SQ, and no AirPlay working

Anyone else having trouble?

alanrichey42 Master
                          I suspect Sling

Anyone else having trouble?

Did you not read the post 2 before yours ?   Sling have admitted they have a problem and have temporarily disabled Auto & HQ.

dlalla

At the time I posted I had not.... Pretty dumb of me

The real "solution" here is that these things happen, so it would be nice if Sling had some system to report this

E.g. when you start the app you'd get a box popup that said something like

Service Alert (Date): HQ/Auto disabled temporarily, Airplay will not work

[OK]

Simple, no?

drm31078

Any update on this???  It's still not working.  Only getting SQ quality, everything else is grayed out and unable to select.  This is a bit annoying and very poor communication from slingbox.

swacksman

I read what Sling is saying, but I just got the iPhone 5 yesterday, and with my 4, I can stream 2Mbps, but with the 5, only about 200Kbps.  They are both sitting side by side on the same wifi network.  So whatever the problem is, it only seems to affect the 5.  I'm not technical enough to know why that is.  It would seem logical to me that if they disable something on their end, both devices would be equally affected.  Very strange.  I was thinking my phone would fly with the LTE.  That's not working with a darn either.  Guess I need to keep carrying my old phone around for awhile and hope for a wifi network.

curtisjhitch

I share in your misery. I have an iPhone 5 and am experiencing the same problem. Hope Slingbox has a solution VERY soon.

dlalla

Actually my iPad2 was working and not my iPhone 4

When I reset all my network settings and so forth I've lost both of them

I am running the iPhone app on the iPad and using the 2x magnifier - works well (usually...)

I noticed there was an update on my Mac safari plugin today

I also noticed on my PC at work I got a sling.com certificate error (I think from Verisign)

acater

Same problem here on Iphone 5. Its oct 3. How long is temporary?

Jens1951

I have exactly the same issue

With iOS 6 upgrade, the HQ feature is disabled and I can only get sound but no picture on the TV when playing from iPad to Apple TV w HDMI cable up to the TV.....

I phone the Sling help desk and they didnt know about it, sent me on a goosechase.......

Then looked in the Forum and indeed we all seem to have the issue!!

I sincerely hope Sling comes up w a solution FAST !!

JG

swacksman

Still having the issue. My iPad 1 has the same problem now, and I have the iPad app. Actually, I find it encouraging that the iPad is having a problem too. Thought it was just me at first or the iPhone 5. Strange that the 4 is working fine, and it too is running iOS 6.

Sent from my iPhone

curtisjhitch

C'mon Slingbox.

Your reputation is taking a beating.

Let's get a solution TODAY.

If not at least  keep us informed on their support page.

Who the heck is handling their PR?

acater

I agree, Football season is not the time to be slow to resolve or respond. 1.877.GO.SLING does nothing for me either. Service issues and keeping customers in the dark most definately will prevent me from upgrading or being a repeat customer, or a recommending customer.

shaysfn Novice

Hey acater,

Thanks for using our Answers Forum.  We understand that everyone is still frustrated with the fact that they only have the functionality of SQ on their IPads, IPods & IPhones.

We still do not have a firm ETA as to when this issue will be resolved.  Our engineers are working very hard at getting this issue resolved as soon as possible.  Those of us that are Apple product users are all experiencing this same issue.

We do appreciate your patience regarding this matter.

Thank you,

Sling Moderation Team

acater

It's good to know you read these forums.  But each week I'm going to rate the app 1 star in the App Store that it does not deliver on its intent.  I purchase the hd pro box so I could watch hd movies.   The box and the app had premium cost, so the patience running out fast. 

dickywmc

Thanks for letting us know Sling is working on the solution.  However, it has been quite a while when the problem first starts (it makes me think the problem is due to iphone 5).  I suggest Sling please post the notice in the first page of SLING.COM for general awareness, and also in the Appstore.  You would only get continuous complaints if there are more users who cannot enjoy HQ after buying the expensive app.  Thanks.

edwardschris

Folks, this is pretty ridiculous. The issues between Sling and iOS are silly. I'd assume that you folks test these apps, as Apple is releasing iOS builds to developers before a launch. Between the SQ issue on the iPad and the busted AirPlay with the Apple TV update -- this whole thing is silly. Given all of the funds invested into hardware -- and software -- for the Sling ecosystem most of us have in house, you really, really should have a development team that's on top of iOS updates. Especially when it's such a selling point (and you're working with Apple). Fix, please

dlalla

Workaround for Airplay for my ipad

- start app in sq,

- double click to get to app switcher,

- slide to the mirroring controls and turn it on from there

Frame rate is poor and window smaller on the TV so I hit zoom on TV remote

Picture is not great, but watchable

AlbanyHDTV

In August, I was able to watch baseball games on my front porch via iPad3 in high quality.  Neighbors even commented on how great the picture looked.

The last few days, while trying to watch the playoff games, the picture looked like ****.  In the settings, I noticed it was set to SQ quality instead of Auto or HQ...and I couldn't change it to HQ or auto.

This afternoon, on my day off, I spent 3 hours resetting routers, switches, going through slingbox advanced settings, and I even reset my Slingbox back to factory settings.  None of this worked.  Three hours wasted.

And then I stumbled on this thread...I can't believe Sling PURPOSELY disabled the HQ setting...AND with no notice!  This is poor customer service.  We all paid $30 for the app...it's not like this was free or $0.99.

AlbanyHDTV

There is a new update the the Apple app store.  The HQ picture quality setting is now available via wifi when using a Slingbox350 or 500, but NOT THE SOLO.  The HQ bug will be fixed on the Solo, "...by the end of October."

acater

I have confirmed the new update returns my abillity to stream HQ on my slingpro. It however does not use the full screen of the iphone5.  both the 3 green dots are back, and i can choose between quality settings now.  In the release notes there is a note that reads "Due to an issue with ios6 HQ and...." What new issue is this refering to?

curtisjhitch

I have the same issue.

There still seems to be iPhone 5 problems. I have killer WIFI and video streams fine on my iPhone 4, but is breaking up - a buffering issue? - in Auto mode. I hope there is more stability on the next upgrade.

iPantic

Hi there,

I'm using a Slingbox Solo and iPhone 5 with iOS 6.0.1 and latest version of Slingplayer, yet I only have one green dot and have SQ only as the option (stuck at approximately between 400-500kbps). Even after selecting the HD or Auto modes in the setting menu, it's still locked to SD quality with the other options blacked out/non selectable. I'm using it at home on my wifi service.

Interestingly enough when I stream content on my MacBook via the web player, I'm getting approximately 5000kbps.

Can you please tell me how to remedy this problem? My email is mr.pantic@gmail.com

Thanks

Daniel

P.S. it's December now..

acater

Hi Daniel

I found my problem to be the sling app.  They had a issue with the new iOS and it was corrected in the latest release. If you just updated your previous app. You may want to delete the app then reinstall it. Also the issue may be on a compatibility issue with the sling solo.  I have the slingbox pro.   But that seems unlikely since its getting to your Mac ok.  I'd delete the app restart your phone then reinstall.

Sent from my iPhone

swacksman

I'm having the same problem as Daniel, but it's intermittent, and does not seem to be related to my internet connection.  None of my other devices exhibit the symptom.  There must be a bug with the iphone 5 and the app.  I am running the latest version of the app.  I thought it was just me.