13 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2010 8:43 PM by Resist RSS

iPhone Slingplayer Problems

Resist Newbie

I have been unable to connect to my Slingbox all weekend via 3G with my iPhone.  Even when I used WiFi away from home I still couldn't connect to watch my TV.  I keep getting told it can't connect and that I should check my internet connection.  Yet those internet connections were working great for other apps.  The only way it seems that I can get this app to connect to my home Slingbox is via my home WiFi.  Funny because it used to work great away from home via 3G in the past.

• Re: iPhone Slingplayer Problems
          Resist Newbie

Resetting my Slingbox Pro fixed the issue.

fperez222

I'm having the same problem but with the slingbox classic. I bought a new router and slingplayer mobile works great on my home wifi, but if I try to access it on an outside wifi network it will not work. Any ideas what the problem maybe. P.S. I already reset the slingbox classic and I am still having the same problem. I refuse to pay 30 bucks to slingbox for help.

Thanks

Resist Newbie

Well today when I tried to connect to my Slingbox via 3G, once again, I was unable to do so.  I even deleted the app and reinstalled it.  I am beginning to wonder if the firmware update caused the issue or AT&T is up to their old tricks again.

And Slingbox wanting us to pay $30 for support is simply insane!  They expect us to pay a premium for their products and then won't support it for free.....have they lost their minds?  I won't purchase anymore of their stuff due to this policy.

gabrielle Newbie

Hey "Resist"-may have a solution for you.There was an answer posted 2 weeks ago to a problem I was having,tried it,and it worked like a charm.A person named "Arizona Sackbut" gets the credit.It's called Port forwarding to 443.He has step-by-step instructions to perform this change on your router and computer.Just look back the last couple of weeks in the forums for port forwarding 443 or type "port forwarding to 443" in the search area in the forum and you will find the instructions.It took me just a few minutes of following these directions to get remote viewing (and I am no computer genius)! Good luck and please post if this was any help to you.

Resist Newbie

I tried the 443 port thing and still can't get it to work.

It was complicated for me.  There was nothing in my linksys router adim setup that said anything about a Slingbox port rule 5001.  So I couldn't figure out how to change 5001 to 443.

Resist Newbie

Okay I got it to finally work using port 443.  I just hope it keeps working with 3G now.

Thanks for the help Gabrielle!

gabrielle Newbie

No problem!.Happy to help.Glad to see you got it working 3g.I know how frustrating it can be.Been there done that.How's the streaming and picture quality?

Resist Newbie

The picture quality is the same as it was before when I was using it via 3G.  It has moments of very good clarity but the 3G for my area is very slow (less than 1Mb download), so most of the time it doesn't look great but is viewable.

I am confused though, why all of a sudden my Slingbox app stopped working via 3G when it had been working fine.

gabrielle Newbie

When you changed the port # to 443 on your router,did you change the inbound,outbound port,or both?It will work better to make both 443.Try that.If your 3g is slow,there could be buffering issues and it is timing out.There are times when I get down to 2- 3 bars on my phone and I lose the picture.That happens sometimes in my own house!Whenever I get an E next to my bars,I lose a connection b/c I'm in a "dead zone".Nothing you can really do about it.If I have 3G with 3 to 5 bars,I usually get great streaming.Let me know if you fix your problem.

Resist Newbie

I ported 443 to both.  Still don't understand why it had issues prior to doing the 443 port thing.  But as far as the picture quality is concerned, it's not bad gets a little pixilated at times, just not as clear as when I use WiFi.  As I said, I think the slow 3G for my area is causing that issue.  And it won't work at all if my signal switches to Edge.

So what are the downsides of using port 443 instead of 5001?

gabrielle Newbie

In my area,my 3g is very good,although I do hit some dead zones from time to time.I've been thinking about your problem--it sounds like you live in an area where the 3g is slow ,or dead zone areas.Glad to see at least it is working for you.Someone I know is a "geek" and he told me that 443 really has no downside--it is a port # some Sling users use because most work places use 5001 for their computer system  and people who watch sling remotely can't use their computers at work to watch sling because they are blocked by 5001--that is why an alternate port such as 443 is used--it is a port mainly to enable remote viewing.If you don't have high speed internet,that could also be an issue with your quality.Press the Options button on the slingbox screen on your Iphone when your tv comes on--when you scroll it,you'll see HQ & SQ--toggle with them,one of them,probably the SQ should improve your video.Also,whatever audio mode you have,try and cut it down a notch (i.e., stereo to mono)--they say that helps.Good luck and I hope the video quality improves.

gabrielle Newbie

See posted message to "Resist" today.Good luck.Hope it helps!