3 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2010 1:12 PM by ArizonaSackbut RSS

Slingbox Solo not recognized on LAN

llcamino

I have a Slingbox Solo which I had up and running for 2 years at my house.  I recently disconnected it and tried to set it back up at my parents house (relevant because troubleshooting will take some time going back and forth between locations) and I am having no luck setting it back up. I tried to reset the box, but still had problems.

I have a couple of questions, as I rethink my already frustrating troubleshooting.

1.  When looking to port forward on a verizon fios router (Actiontec MI24WR), how will the slingbox appear? Mac address?  What other specific settings will I need?  There were a lot of settings such as "protocol" that I did not understand.  Any help with this would be appreciated.  But the first thing I need is to find the sling itself on the fios router.

2.  When trying to directly connect via LAN, (slingbox and computer both plugged into router) would my COMODO firewall block it?  I had expected a pop-up from the firewall, but just now realized I probably should have just disabled the firewall briefly while setting it up.  Both lights were solid on the sling, but slingplayer would not recognize anything...now I'm thinking my headach might have been solved by turning off firewall completely at least to get through setup.

3.   In this slingbox tutorial  http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005589.html  it describes updating firmware without being connected.  When I tried this (Computer connected wifi), it still did not recognize slingbox.  Could this be firewall also?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if these questions were incoherent.  I have a 5 week old baby and I'm suffering from some serious "Daddy Brain".

• Re: Slingbox Solo not recognized on LAN
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi llcamino, and congrats Daddy ! 

I'm going to take on your questions in reverse order...

In this slingbox tutorial ... it describes updating firmware without being connected.  When I tried ... it still did not recognize slingbox.  Could this be firewall also?

A software firewall running on your computer could certainly cause that problem.  I wouldn't be concerned about your Slingbox firmware though.  Maybe later (hopefully not), but not now.

For one thing, it worked before.  For another, the firmware on there now should be fine to get it up on the network so Setup Assistant can see it.

When trying to directly connect via LAN ... would my COMODO firewall block it?  ... I'm thinking my headach might have been solved by turning off firewall completely at least to get through setup.

Yeah, that could do it.  Turning off software firewalls during setup can be helpful.  Can you try from another computer on the LAN that is not running Comodo ?

Unless your Slingbox hardware died somewhere along the way, I think you nailed it-  it's likely that the software firewall on your computer is the main stinker here.  Once you get around that, you just need to finish setting up the port forward on the router.  As you've noticed, that Actiontec model is a bit of a beast to configure. 

The troubleshooting steps you've already taken and what you noted about the LED light status on the Slingbox all sound good.

When you're back on the network at your parent's house, turn Comodo off and see if your Slingbox shows up when you go to http://setup.slingbox.com.  Since you performed a hard reset and got two lights, it really should be there.

Hopefully you're not running more than one software firewall on that computer, but if you are make sure they're all off.

These steps should get your initial setup off the ground.

When looking to port forward on a verizon fios router (Actiontec MI24WR), how will the slingbox appear? ... There were a lot of settings such as "protocol" ...

You meant Actiontec MI424WR for the router model, right ?

If so, have a look here:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/MI-424-WR/SlingBox.htm

Some of the screenshots and steps are out of date, but the basic info is all correct.  If something doesn't make sense after you've read it, post back with your questions and we'll dig into them.

Hope this helps !

- Az

llcamino

Thanks for the help AZ.  And I have to ask, do you play the Sackbut, or does the name represent something else?

Anyway, I finally got it working.  I connected directly and turned off firewall, and it recognized it.  The problem was that when connected directly to the router, there was not cable signal nearby, so I could not complete the setup with no video.  I took the box upstairs where it will "live", and could not connect.  I was using a slinglink, and all of the lights showed correctly.  So, after more frustration, I moved one of the Slinglinks to a different outlet and it worked.

Moral of the story I guess is....don't believe all of the lights on the Slinglinks.

Now if only I could find a way to record on my computer from the slingplayer.

Thanks Again.

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Great news llcamino, glad you got it working !

And I have to ask, do you play the Sackbut

Ha !  A fellow brassman.   You're the first person to publicly catch that.  Indeed I do, but not on a regular basis anymore.  I spend a lot more time with my Bach 42 these days than with ancient instruments.  I'm a musician, trombone is my primary instrument.  I look forward to returning to classroom band and orchestra teaching sometime soon.

Now if only I could find a way to record on my computer from the slingplayer.

I have an older 2006 predecessor to one of these.  It's not what you have in mind, but mighty handy nonetheless.  Two buttons and it burns me a standard unprotected DVD of anything I've recorded to the hard disk, and I can sling it from my Classic. 

Happy trails,

- Az