25 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 6:09 PM by holmsey RSS

Slingbox Player iphone/Ipad with iOS 6

ACC218161

I upgraded my iphone 4s and ipad 2 to iOs6 and now my slingplayer won't connect. Any one have a answer for this, is slingbox doing a upgrade for this issue? My internet viewing is working fine, I went back to the set-up feature for it and it went through set-up with no issues. My wireless laptop is still working for internet viewing but not my iphone and ipad with the lastest iOs 6.

Does anyone know when if it's a fix for this yet? I know it's a day old for iOs 6.

• Re: Slingbox Player iphone/Ipad with iOS 6
          Clifford123

I contacted customer support regarding the same issue and they had the nerve to tell me it's a problem with iOS 6, not their slingplayer app...

tangential

I'm experiencing problems on my iPad with iOS 6, but not my iPhone.

On my iPad I can connect with HQ over local WiFi perfectly. Prior to iOS 6, I could connect using HQ perfectly over my Verizon LTE MiFi as well.

Now I can do SQ over MiFi. If I do HQ, it runs for about 10 seconds, then spins for a minute, then runs for a few seconds. Speedtest over this MiFi show 25 Mbps down and 17Mbps up, so I know that the link is fast enough. This all worked perfectly all year and as recently as last weekend. Since I upgraded to iOS 6, I can't pull HQ via the MiFi.

Any help would be appreciated.

Landjet

I too have issues with both my iPad 3 and iPhone 5 both running iOS 6. I'm so diappointed after also having two Slingbox hardware failures. Most disappointing is the lack of any proactive communication... via their own forum!

The products have such potential, but suffer from quality issues, which must be impacting their bottom line significantly... maybe affecting support and further compromising quality. I've been a customer/user for many years, but it might be time to cut my losses and seek alternatives.  I'm sure I'm not alone in my thinking. Sure hope they "get it together" soon.

Hoamer

Exact same problem here- I documented it in another thread, as well as via a call to their support line.  Their products have such potential but are marred by quality and support (as well as pricing) issues.

Here's hoping for a speedy resolution.

ACC218161

Hello Everyone

I ended finding out the problem with iOs 6 and slingbox player for my ipad and iphone 4s. It will player on Standard Quality (SQ) but not High Quality (HQ). So slingbox and iOs 6 have a issue going on with HQ and Auto.

Got to settings, Video Quality for cellualar or ipad and wi fi. Both of these had to be set to Standard Quality (SQ) and I have video.

baraldij

I'm having the same issues since my iPhone 4S was upgraded to iOS 6.  Really disappointing that Sling wasn't on top of this.  Is there an ETA for the fix?

nhtracker

I agree. I'm getting numerous updates for my other apps in response to iOS 6 and I'm dismayed that Sling has yet to be one of them. In my opinion, they have had a lot of time to prepare for this. But what ticks me off the most at this point is that I have paid out a total of $60 (iPhone and iPad), more than I've ever paid for any other app by a long shot, yet they're lagging behind like this somehow caught them off guard.

omega1221

I am having the exact same issue after upgrading to ios 6. It is disappointing that users have not been given had guidance from Sling Media regarding resolution of the problem with using the HQ/Auto setting in streaming to iPad with IOS 6

gatordent

The problem has just gotten worse, now the iPad and iPhone apps across all iOS versions will only connect at SQ and the othe options have been blocked. I am assuming sling did this in response to the problems with the new software release iOS 6. But now they have hurt the users who did Not update and who were using their phones to output to other devices. (Which is guess isn't many).

guidobianchi

Same problem to me with Iphone 4.

Both wifi and 3g connection allow only SD connection.

The dot indicator on the left bottom of the screen display only one dot, both on wifi and on 3g.

Also tried to reinstall iphone slingplayer and reconfigured connection settings, reset and reconfigured slingbox pro hd, restarted and reconfigured router, but the problem still remains...

gbhack59

since downloading IO6 the following is going on. On both my mobile devices ipad and iPod touch when I run Slingbox the quality is only SQ. When you click on it the other options HQ and Auto are not clickable. Steps I have done. Check settings and I am set to Auto in WiFi (I do not use cellular) I have deleted the app and reloaded it. When I do this and re-open the app  it asks me set up my preferences. I set my quality in WiFi to auto.

The first time I run slingbox all the options are available and it opens in Auto. Then when I close slingbox and reopen it goes as described above and stays that way (Only SQ) . If I again check my settings they are still set up for Auto. I am trying to  contact support.

kkannank

I installed the updated app on iphone5.  HQ is now working.  However the fullscreen is not used when displaying HD content.  Ive tried all the display options in the app, i am viewing HD content, and slingbox pro hd is connected to video source with component cables.   I thought app would take advantage of larger iphone5 screen.  Is this expected behavior?

tangential

I've upgraded to the very latest bits on iPad and iPhone and (best I can tell, my firmware on my SB Pro-HD is the latest 2.1.370) and my HQ problems on the iPad continue unabated. I get a pause about every 5 seconds. I also can't get the iPad to initially even try to connect in HQ.

All of this is on a wireless N connection and the SB is connected directly to the router; so no internet and no other issues running video through this connection.

UPDATE: The last sentence above is slightly wrong.  I did a lot of testing last night. I have 3 different WiFi networks running in my house and each has a separate outside IP address. All three IPs are adjacent and run from the same uVerse RG. Each is wireless N and has its on router. This means that they all have 100MB interoperability thru the RG. I have a SlingBox on each network as well. I've tested file and data movement between the three networks and they are as fast as you'd expect 100MB to be.

When I attach the SlingPlayer on my iPad to a SB on the same WiFi network HQ is usable. When I attach to a SB on a different WiFi, the player starts in SQ mode (regardless of my settings.) I can switch it to HQ mode, but it pauses every few seconds. When I try and switch from SQ to Auto, I get a total fail in the player.

Apparently the software is using some different buffering mechanism when the player is (based on outside IP I guess) detected to be on a different network. It further appears that there is no real way (as a user) to overcome this behavior.

Message was edited by: tangential

johngg Newbie

Solo users hq/auto  still not working-    Hopefully will update soon !        

Out of interest how is the quality for pro hd users on remote access since the update?  

Whatever sort of Kbps are you getting. ?     Cheers John

tangential

johngg wrote:

Solo users hq/auto  still not working-    Hopefully will update soon !        

Out of interest how is the quality for pro hd users on remote access since the update?  

Whatever sort of Kbps are you getting. ?     Cheers John

I've got 2 Pro HD units and I cannot successfully use HQ remotely (even with 100MB local connection between networks) successfully. I'd rate quality of HQ pretty low right now.

ACC4709429 Newbie

I am trying to get word out to those seeking an answer and apparently my previous posts are to harsh on Slingmedia so they delete them: So here is a toned down version just so others like me know the problem does exist and its not their hardware:

As an app develepor for iOS - I do know what the issue is and a Slingmedia Rep (Dana) has also confirmed this is correct and they are working on an app update ASAP

The problem is the HLS Protocal was updated in iOS 6 by Apple and up to recently not noticed. So it will take a little bit of time to rewrite around the new protocal to allow full streaming over a cellular connection.

That's the problem and reassurance has been given there will be a fix soon by a Slingmedia Rep (Dana)

holmsey Newbie

Any update on when this will get fixed and released? I am hoping it will fix my iphone buffering I have reported.

Rose123

I am also having an issue with buffering on Iphone 5 internet viewing (away from home). I reported this elsewhere on the site. I had buffering when I had the iphone 4s (verizon) and continue to have the problem with the iphone 5 (Verizon). Home viewing with WiFi much better, but still experience some minimal

buffering.

Watching on the computer at home and away with internet viewing works perfectly.

Based on the comments on this forum, I am convinced the slingplayer iphone 5 app.does not and can not work as it is advertised to successfully watch television unless you are hooked up to a strong WiFi connection. Without WiFi, my slingplayer on the Iphone 5 is running between 80kpbs to 1500kpbs. Jumps around, even if I am stationary. Viewing is interrupted frequently with short and long pauses.

I do hope they will fix the problem.

holmsey Newbie

Hello and thank you for posting your reply. Its clear that something is amiss with the I^phone application. In SD mode I get a large range of speeds, sometimes upto 800kbps both wi-fi and 3G. In "auto" mode it gets to 532kbps on wi-fi or 432kbps on 3G and stops increasing/decreasing which seems to instantly impact the buffering situation. The picture quality starts to look good the the never ending buffering strikes. Its no different whether its my solo or pro-HD models.

Sure hope Sling is doing something on this and it all seems to stem from the issues last year they had.